smaller shotgun for older man with little recoil.. - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > smaller shotgun for older man with little recoil..

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-10-2008, 04:53 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Likes Given: 2

what would be a good make/ model...

I'm looking for it to be easy to put a scope on it... a flat black color is nice also...

Old 07-10-2008, 04:56 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by shnorse View Post
what would be a good make/ model...

I'm looking for it to be easy to put a scope on it... a flat black color is nice also...
gonna have to get someone else to answer. i can look up new shotguns for you but those are gonna be in the 1.5 grand range which is probably a bit over what you want to pay. So ill let someone else fill you in.

Old 07-10-2008, 01:26 PM   #13

yea, i've seen the 1.5 grad guns... they're nice... but way over my price range

Old 07-10-2008, 04:54 PM   #14

Liked 6 Times on 3 Posts

Look into the Stoeger semi-autos. They are only just slightly above what you're looking to spend and are really good feeling guns.

Old 07-10-2008, 05:20 PM   #15

stoeger seems to be nice... i'll put that very high on my list... looks very nice, and cheap...
thanks!

just out of curiosity, and to help me stop being so much of a gun noob.... what makes a semi auto have less kick then a pump... it fires the same bullet and the same speed...

all about porting, and stocks or soemthing?

Old 07-10-2008, 05:27 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by shnorse View Post
stoeger seems to be nice... i'll put that very high on my list... looks very nice, and cheap...
thanks!

just out of curiosity, and to help me stop being so much of a gun noob.... what makes a semi auto have less kick then a pump... it fires the same bullet and the same speed...

all about porting, and stocks or soemthing?

+1 I'd like to know this to. My guess would be that the bolt sliding back absorbs a bit of the recoil and allows some pressure out of the gun. But i think thats wrong?

Old 07-12-2008, 04:29 AM   #17

i talked to an older guy at bass pro and he seemed to know a lot...

he said that todays semis have the same kick... however the older (forget the nodel he said, but it had the whole barrel move and it would push forward and stop kick... )todays don't do that... so i started looking at pump guns

He pointed me to the Remington 870 express... when i asked about a scope he showed me a mount that i can buy and i take out 2 pins, put this mount on, and then can get a scope... although they had a bundle pack with a scope already on it.. i belive it was a 2x scope... 100.00 for scope and mount... good deal?

i then went to walmart for other things, ended up in the gun section... i saw a nice mossberg 500, all black, pump... for 199.99

What is a better buy. the mossberg, or the remington?

how do the generic slings work? neither guns have swivel mounts...

anything else i should look into?

Old 07-13-2008, 10:18 PM   #18

went back today.. they have a mossberg 500 at BPS and it comes with 2 barels, one rifled one smooth, and 3 recoil pads... 350.00 more then i wanted to spend...

a better deal then the remington?

should i shoot for a riffled barrel or a smooth barel... i shoot slugs for deer, but bird shot for clays.... can a riffled barrel be used with bird shot?

Last edited by shnorse; 07-13-2008 at 10:40 PM.

Old 07-14-2008, 11:23 PM   #19

Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts

The Stoeger is a Benelli with differnt cloths on. Some of the semi auto shotguns like the Remington 1100 are gas operated and that softens the recoil some. Other like the Stoeger and Benelli with the inertia drive system use a lot of the recoil to operate the bolt.

Old 07-15-2008, 02:14 AM   #20

Any reason a shotgun for an all purpose gun? A good bolt action .223, 22-250, or .270 would be low on recoil and a great all purpose gun. My Weatherby .270 stays in my Jeep whenever Im in the mountains along with my 44 Mag Super Black Hawk. That combo takes down most anything.

MESA TACTICAL REVIEW