smaller shotgun for older man with little recoil..
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > smaller shotgun for older man with little recoil..

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-10-2008, 01:55 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Likes Given: 2

Default smaller shotgun for older man with little recoil..

I'm looking to buy my dad a gun for his birthday...

he needs a nice small shotgun with little recoil, and can take down a deer, coyote, and other small game...

we have a 3rd generation hand me down ( my great grand fathers ) 20 gauge, it has no recoil pad, just metal, and it doesn't feel too good when it kicks..

will a new 20 gauge with the modern recoil pads and what not feel less of a kick..

i went out and tried it this morning, used 3/4 ounce 8 bird shot... it kicked not horrible, but more then my dad can handle...

I was thinking maybe a 28 gauge or even a 410... but i doubt those would easily take down a deer...

with a 300.00 price range, able to hold 3-5 rounds, be it semi auto or pump, and a scope, red dot or other...

i can add a scope for more money, but the base gun should be under 300.

trying to keep my dad hunting and enjoying the outdoors without killing my bank account

thanks, erick

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-10-2008, 02:44 AM   #2

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I'd stay with the 20 gauge due to choice of ammo and price of ammo, when you talk 410 or 28 gauge etc. price takes quiet a jump and limited in choices. Look into getting him a semi auto to reduce the kick, any pump or single shot is gonna kick worse.

Old 07-10-2008, 02:46 AM   #3

i did not know that semis kick less, thats good to know

any cheap semis that are not junk?

Old 07-10-2008, 03:34 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by shnorse View Post
i did not know that semis kick less, thats good to know

any cheap semis that are not junk?
define cheap?

Old 07-10-2008, 03:45 AM   #5

under 300 .

Old 07-10-2008, 03:48 AM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9543 Times on 4105 Posts
Likes Given: 1499

Also check state came laws- some states do not allow .410 for deer, and 28 guage, the price, well, Jesus wept. A 12 or 20 guage semi, with a good recoil pad gets my vote. Stay away from magnum ammo. The heavier the gun, the less the recoil (all other things being equal). IF games laws allow in your state, you may want to look at light rifle. An SKS or a marlin 30-30 will kick MUCH less than a shotgun.

Old 07-10-2008, 04:08 AM   #7

in my county, shotgun only for deer...

but if you walk 20' down the road into the next county, it is legal... go figure my luck...

shotguns only

Old 07-10-2008, 04:14 AM   #8

if you do look at getting a rifle, i would suggest a .223 for coyote, small deer, and other small stuff. It's kick is minimal. (My 9 year old bro seems to take it fine) The rounds are really cheap and it should be legal for hunting. I don't know enough about shotguns to tell anyone about them. I only use the 410 for grouse and the 8 guage slugs for the bears.

edit: Sorry. was typing slow. didn't see post #7 in time.

Old 07-10-2008, 04:32 AM   #9

he uses mostly slugs... so should i go with a riffled barrel or smooth?

what is a choke, and where does it go... can a slug be used with a choke?

Old 07-10-2008, 04:39 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by shnorse View Post
he uses mostly slugs... so should i go with a riffled barrel or smooth?

what is a choke, and where does it go... can a slug be used with a choke?
if he uses slugs more i would suggest a rifled barrel. i still fire buckshot through my rifled 8 gauge and it seems to work. A choke is what affects the spread of the shot. Sometimes built in or screwed on. It's always at the end of the barrel though. Closer or more open. As for slugs through choke:

Quote:
Question: Is it safe to shoot a slug in a shotgun that has a screw-in choke?
Answer: The answer depends on the choke tube that's screwed into the barrel. You can get rifled choke tubes designed to spin the slug (to be used with sabot slugs), or you can just use a cylinder or improved cylinder tube (for rifled slugs).
It's perfectly safe to do with a shotgun that's in good repair, with proper ammo for that gun's chamber length. I wouldn't want to shoot many slugs through a tighter choke, but some modified chokes will do okay with slugs.

The tighter you go, the more pressure there is on the barrel and action, and the more stress is placed on the muzzle, which is thinner than the rest of the barrel anyhow... and this is especially true of newer guns, since their muzzles are threaded for choke tubes (the threading process removes metal from the barrel).

But with the right choke (rifled, cylinder, improved cylinder, or possibly modified) screwed or built into the gun, no problem.

- Russ Chastain

Last edited by Braeden; 07-10-2008 at 04:44 AM.