Slugs from a unrifled barrel - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion >

Slugs from a unrifled barrel

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-20-2012, 03:57 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 650 Times on 368 Posts
Likes Given: 5149

federally regulated, migratory waterfowl, REQUIRE steel shot ONLY.........regardless of what sort of "range" you are huntin.

"if it was up to me, i'd like to see, this country run,
the way it used to be, the way it oughta be, just like it's done, OUT HERE.........WAY OUT HERE." -Josh Thompson, country music singer http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0sYnro_3Rc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3R00rlA0S0&NR=1

PEOPLE TEND TO ACT LIKE SHEEP, BOY I LOVE MUTTON! -Me

Old 09-20-2012, 05:05 AM   #22
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1606 Times on 1087 Posts
Likes Given: 1747

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1911beast View Post
I have a single shot Rossi 20 gauge and I was wondering if I could shoot slugs or buckshot without harming the barrel. Someone told me it ruins the barrel but I want to know what you guys think.
Who ever told you that, is pulling your leg. It`s not going to hurt a damn thing....................

Old 09-20-2012, 06:01 AM   #23

Liked 643 Times on 398 Posts
Likes Given: 219

Quote:
Originally Posted by USEBOTHHANDS View Post
federally regulated, migratory waterfowl, REQUIRE steel shot ONLY.........regardless of what sort of "range" you are huntin.
Its a federal thing? That I did not know. Maybe some states just don't put it in their statutes because its a federal law.

“If you are unwilling to defend your right to your own lives, then you are merely like mice trying to argue with owls. You think their ways are wrong. They think you are dinner.”

“Pity for the guilty is treason to the innocent."

“Not everyone is willing to embrace liberty; liberty requires not just effort, but risk. Some people choose to delude themselves and see their chains as protective armor.”

Old 09-20-2012, 01:45 PM   #24
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 3573 Times on 1835 Posts
Likes Given: 396

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eturnsdale View Post
Its a federal thing? That I did not know. Maybe some states just don't put it in their statutes because its a federal law.
Yes, Federal. Lead shot was (allegedly) found to be causing lead poisoning of ducks/geese. Non-toxic shot was required back in the 80's. Steel was the first. Other alternatives came along including Bismuth and Tungston.

Getting caught waterfowl hunting with lead shot will bring a hefty fine and the forfeiture of your gun.

Old 09-20-2012, 01:47 PM   #25

Ok. I always thought it was a federal thing for hunting over water because it was poisioning fish and birds that ate there. But thought it was up to the state if waterfowl could be hunted from fields with it. That was where my confusion came from.

Ive used tungsten but not bismuth.

“If you are unwilling to defend your right to your own lives, then you are merely like mice trying to argue with owls. You think their ways are wrong. They think you are dinner.”

“Not everyone is willing to embrace liberty; liberty requires not just effort, but risk. Some people choose to delude themselves and see their chains as protective armor.”

Old 09-20-2012, 02:14 PM   #26

I was grouse hunting with my cousin who had a Westernfield 12ga pump with a dial-a -choke on the muzzle.

He had a slug on his pocket and decided to rack it and shoot at a old standing log. He missed. He then noticed his dial-a-choke left the muzzle with the slug! We spent over an hour looking for it without luck.
I recall he had it dialed in at full choke.
Since seeing this happen I've used a modified choke as the tightest when I've used slugs. Prob over cautious but seeing how upset he was over losing that part of his shotgun kind of stuck with me.

Last edited by robocop10mm; 09-21-2012 at 12:15 AM. Reason: Fixed spelling

Old 09-21-2012, 12:18 AM   #27
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 3573 Times on 1835 Posts
Likes Given: 396

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eturnsdale View Post
Ok. I always thought it was a federal thing for hunting over water because it was poisioning fish and birds that ate there. But thought it was up to the state if waterfowl could be hunted from fields with it. That was where my confusion came from.

Ive used tungsten but not bismuth.
It has to do with migratory birds. Because the birds nest in the north and winter in the south, the Feds claim jurisdiction over them.

Just like hunting dove. 3 shot max in the gun. Quail are non migratory and you can carry as many rounds in the gun (to miss as much as you please), at least in Texas you can.

Old 09-21-2012, 03:53 AM   #28

I suppose thats why you can have extended tubes when hunting pheasant.