Slugs from a unrifled barrel - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion >

Slugs from a unrifled barrel

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-17-2012, 06:19 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 650 Times on 368 Posts
Likes Given: 5149

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eturnsdale View Post
I don't pretend to be the most knowledgeable about shotguns. I mean I have a few, and use them for bird hunting and on occasion deer. So please forgive the ignorant question that follows.

Why would steel shot harm any type of shotgun barrel? I mean its encased in a plastic wad. Which is why, I assume, that you can fire tungsten shot with a steel barrel.

it's prolly a, "just in case" thing. bein as damascus steel barrels were made by combinin two bars of steel, heated and hammered, heated and hammered together then wrapped around a center rod to make the "barrel," there is/was a warning put out with steel shot when it first came out.

even tho damascus barreled shotguns are still made today, the older guns were most likely (MAYBE) made with a lower grade steel than today's damascus shotties. even so, the barrels aren't a solid, and monolithic steel component.......the barrel is two, heated and hammered together.

"if it was up to me, i'd like to see, this country run,
the way it used to be, the way it oughta be, just like it's done, OUT HERE.........WAY OUT HERE." -Josh Thompson, country music singer http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0sYnro_3Rc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3R00rlA0S0&NR=1

PEOPLE TEND TO ACT LIKE SHEEP, BOY I LOVE MUTTON! -Me

Old 09-17-2012, 06:21 PM   #12

Liked 2528 Times on 1568 Posts
Likes Given: 53

If a barrel IS NOT designed for steel shot, it can and will wear them out with constant use. The steel shot is harder than the barrel, and must use higher velocities to have it preform the way it should, as it is lighter than steel shot gets wet and rusts in the hull, it can possible shoot like a slug, ring your barrel, or over pressure it when it doesn't compress and yea may go BOOM lol.

That's about all I got lol.

Revelation 19:11

And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.
USEBOTHHANDS Likes This 
Old 09-18-2012, 04:45 AM   #13

Liked 643 Times on 398 Posts
Likes Given: 219

Higher velocites I get if using the same weight. But hardness of the barrel in direct relation to the shot itself? I am having a hard time wrapping my mind round it as there is essentially a cushion between the barrel and the shot.

I guess it really doesnt matter. I don't own any guns with a damascus barrel. And likely wont. Its just more of a curiosity thing.

“If you are unwilling to defend your right to your own lives, then you are merely like mice trying to argue with owls. You think their ways are wrong. They think you are dinner.”

“Pity for the guilty is treason to the innocent."

“Not everyone is willing to embrace liberty; liberty requires not just effort, but risk. Some people choose to delude themselves and see their chains as protective armor.”

Old 09-18-2012, 05:07 AM   #14

Liked 650 Times on 368 Posts
Likes Given: 5149

dependin on your choke size, shot is compressed into a tighter lil "packet" before it exits the barrel. that is,.....with lead shot (or any malleable shot) it can deform and each individual pellet can "compress" against the next pellet. so, in all theory, lead shot can compress and distort as it forms to a barrel's diameter.

steel shot, on the other hand, WILL NOT compress or deform. it is what it is. and you are right about the cup wadding......it is supposed to protect the barrel from such things. but when steel first came out, manufacturers warned about shootin them in damascus barrels. due in part to the hardness of the steel shot, but also due to the barrel bein what it was...........damascus. two steel rods hammered and folded, and forged and twisted together around a center "gauge" pole.

"if it was up to me, i'd like to see, this country run,
the way it used to be, the way it oughta be, just like it's done, OUT HERE.........WAY OUT HERE." -Josh Thompson, country music singer http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0sYnro_3Rc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3R00rlA0S0&NR=1

PEOPLE TEND TO ACT LIKE SHEEP, BOY I LOVE MUTTON! -Me

Last edited by USEBOTHHANDS; 09-18-2012 at 05:10 AM.

Old 09-18-2012, 11:02 AM   #15

Liked 231 Times on 172 Posts

If your choke is too tight and not made out of the right stuff, large steel or tungsten alloy shot can damage it. Saw a lot of that when steel first came along with older fixed choke shotgun barrels. Plastic shot cups have gotten better, but I wouldn't risk it.

Old 09-18-2012, 05:24 PM   #16
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 4114 Times on 2102 Posts
Likes Given: 523

Newer shotgun barrels that are "steel shot rated" are significantly harder than their lead shot predecessors. The protective cup (wad) cannot completely cushion and isolate the steel shot. The plastic wad is SIGNIFICANTLY softer than the shoot.

If you are still doubtful, go ahead and do whatever makes sense to you. Just don't come crying to us when your shotgun (or your face) gets ruined by the excessinve pressures of steel shot loads.

Back to the OP's question, Rifled slugs and buckshot will absolutely not harm a barrel unless you have a very tight choke (full, extra full or "turkey).

Old 09-18-2012, 09:14 PM   #17

Liked 15 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 94

Not necessarily.

Brenneke USA Slugs FAQ
Quote:
Can Brenneke USA slugs be used in either a rifle barrel or smooth bore barrel?

Yes - - all slugs, with the exception of the Brenneke Gold Magnum and all brass Super Sabot can be used. Both of these slugs are designed to be used only in full-rifled barrels and must not be fired from any type of choked barrel.
Using the proper slugs, yes.
Old 09-19-2012, 04:38 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by robocop10mm View Post
Newer shotgun barrels that are "steel shot rated" are significantly harder than their lead shot predecessors. The protective cup (wad) cannot completely cushion and isolate the steel shot. The plastic wad is SIGNIFICANTLY softer than the shoot.

If you are still doubtful, go ahead and do whatever makes sense to you. Just don't come crying to us when your shotgun (or your face) gets ruined by the excessinve pressures of steel shot loads.

Back to the OP's question, Rifled slugs and buckshot will absolutely not harm a barrel unless you have a very tight choke (full, extra full or "turkey).
Im not doubtful, just confused. Like I said Im not supper shotty girl here. Ive got three, one has never been fired and never will. A DU model 870 daddy won back in the seventies, a newer 870 and my lil 870 20 gauge youth model that Ive had since I was a kid.

“If you are unwilling to defend your right to your own lives, then you are merely like mice trying to argue with owls. You think their ways are wrong. They think you are dinner.”

“Not everyone is willing to embrace liberty; liberty requires not just effort, but risk. Some people choose to delude themselves and see their chains as protective armor.”

Old 09-20-2012, 02:22 AM   #19

Liked 134 Times on 109 Posts
Likes Given: 43

There is no need to fire shells loaded with steel shot other than for waterfowl hunting near wetlands. It is perfectly legal to use lead shot when pass shooting waterfowl on high ground. You still need a duck stamp no matter how you choose to bag your duck for the obligatory holiday turducken.

Adopt a pet!! http://www.aspca.org/ Some of the finest pleasure horses come from here: http://www.canterusa.org/

Old 09-20-2012, 03:53 AM   #20

That depends entirely on where you live. I would advise you against giving advise like that.

In one state in which I lived even if you were hunting duck or goose from a field you were required to use steel shot. Any waterfowl required steel shot.