Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > Slugs from a unrifled barrel

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-17-2012, 03:04 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Slugs from a unrifled barrel

I have a single shot Rossi 20 gauge and I was wondering if I could shoot slugs or buckshot without harming the barrel. Someone told me it ruins the barrel but I want to know what you guys think.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-17-2012, 03:05 AM   #2

Liked 650 Times on 368 Posts
Likes Given: 5125

no, it does not. shoot till your hearts content. if steel shot, of all things doesn't hurt your steel barrel, then lead or copper MOST CERTAINLY will not, and DOES NOT.

unless, that is, you have a damascus steel barrel. then, do not shoot steel. i do not know about slugs and buckshot in them.

but i highly doubt your rossi is damascus steel.

"they may get me in a rush, but not before i turn your head into a canoe....." -Kurt Russell (Wyatt Earp) in Tombstone

"if it was up to me, i'd like to see, this country run,
the way it used to be, the way it oughta be, just like it's done, OUT HERE.........WAY OUT HERE." -Josh Thompson, country music singer http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0sYnro_3Rc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3R00rlA0S0&NR=1

PEOPLE TEND TO ACT LIKE SHEEP, BOY I LOVE MUTTON! -Me

Last edited by USEBOTHHANDS; 09-17-2012 at 03:08 AM.

Old 09-17-2012, 03:25 AM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8420 Times on 3650 Posts
Likes Given: 1300

What he said up there ^. For a smoothbore, use rifled slugs. Unless you have an Extra Full choke (usually found only on guns made for turkey hunters) you can shoot slugs or buck. Be sure to use shells no longer than the ones marked on your barrel, If it says 3 inch you can use 3 or 2 3/4, but if it says 2 3/4, do NOT try a 3 inch.

<--- Your Moderators at our weekly Troll Hunt

Old 09-17-2012, 03:29 AM   #4

Liked 19 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 68

a rossie should be good to go with slugs. if it has tubes use the most open one you have unless you have a rifled one. and a damascus barrel on a rossie? you got to be kidding me

Old 09-17-2012, 05:51 PM   #5

Liked 650 Times on 368 Posts
Likes Given: 5125

Quote:
Originally Posted by USEBOTHHANDS View Post
no, it does not. shoot till your hearts content. if steel shot, of all things doesn't hurt your steel barrel, then lead or copper MOST CERTAINLY will not, and DOES NOT.

unless, that is, you have a damascus steel barrel. then, do not shoot steel. i do not know about slugs and buckshot in them.

but i highly doubt your rossi is damascus steel.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonydewar View Post
a rossie should be good to go with slugs. if it has tubes use the most open one you have unless you have a rifled one. and a damascus barrel on a rossie? you got to be kidding me

AND THAT'S WHY i wrote the last line...........

"they may get me in a rush, but not before i turn your head into a canoe....." -Kurt Russell (Wyatt Earp) in Tombstone

"if it was up to me, i'd like to see, this country run,
the way it used to be, the way it oughta be, just like it's done, OUT HERE.........WAY OUT HERE." -Josh Thompson, country music singer http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0sYnro_3Rc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3R00rlA0S0&NR=1

PEOPLE TEND TO ACT LIKE SHEEP, BOY I LOVE MUTTON! -Me

Old 09-17-2012, 05:56 PM   #6

Liked 698 Times on 448 Posts
Likes Given: 226

Rifled shotgun barrels are a fairly "new" thing for shotguns. Slugs and buckshot are as old as shotguns themselves. So yes shoot what ever you want in your shotgun.

Just walking on the edge of of my grave.

Old 09-17-2012, 06:08 PM   #7

Liked 643 Times on 398 Posts
Likes Given: 219

Quote:
Originally Posted by USEBOTHHANDS View Post
if steel shot, of all things doesn't hurt your steel barrel, then lead or copper MOST CERTAINLY will not, and DOES NOT.
I don't pretend to be the most knowledgeable about shotguns. I mean I have a few, and use them for bird hunting and on occasion deer. So please forgive the ignorant question that follows.

Why would steel shot harm any type of shotgun barrel? I mean its encased in a plastic wad. Which is why, I assume, that you can fire tungsten shot with a steel barrel.

“Every person's life is theirs by right. An individual's life can and must belong only to to himself, not to any society or community, or he is then but a slave.”

“If you are unwilling to defend your right to your own lives, then you are merely like mice trying to argue with owls. You think their ways are wrong. They think you are dinner.”

“Pity for the guilty is treason to the innocent."

“Not everyone is willing to embrace liberty; liberty requires not just effort, but risk. Some people choose to delude themselves and see their chains as protective armor.”

Old 09-17-2012, 06:12 PM   #8

Liked 2371 Times on 1481 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eturnsdale

I don't pretend to be the most knowledgeable about shotguns. I mean I have a few, and use them for bird hunting and on occasion deer. So please forgive the ignorant question that follows.

Why would steel shot harm any type of shotgun barrel? I mean its encased in a plastic wad. Which is why, I assume, that you can fire tungsten shot with a steel barrel.
Shot can be harder than the barrel, not compress like lead, and may cause over pressure if I'm not mistaken. Correct me if I'm wrong please.

Oh dern....

Revelation 19:11

And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.

tonydewar Likes This 
Old 09-17-2012, 06:14 PM   #9
Big TOW
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5658 Times on 2800 Posts
Likes Given: 6022

Yup, only negatives are distance and accuracy, not as good in a bird barrel.

Old 09-17-2012, 06:15 PM   #10

Liked 643 Times on 398 Posts
Likes Given: 219

Quote:
Originally Posted by kytowboater View Post
Shot can be harder than the barrel, not compress like lead, and may cause over pressure if I'm not mistaken. Correct me if I'm wrong please.
Ok. Im not saying that you're wrong. But that doesnt make sense to me.

“Every person's life is theirs by right. An individual's life can and must belong only to to himself, not to any society or community, or he is then but a slave.”

“If you are unwilling to defend your right to your own lives, then you are merely like mice trying to argue with owls. You think their ways are wrong. They think you are dinner.”

“Pity for the guilty is treason to the innocent."

“Not everyone is willing to embrace liberty; liberty requires not just effort, but risk. Some people choose to delude themselves and see their chains as protective armor.”