Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Shotgun Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f26/)
-   -   Slugs from a unrifled barrel (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f26/slugs-unrifled-barrel-72576/)

1911beast 09-17-2012 03:04 AM

Slugs from a unrifled barrel

I have a single shot Rossi 20 gauge and I was wondering if I could shoot slugs or buckshot without harming the barrel. Someone told me it ruins the barrel but I want to know what you guys think.

USEBOTHHANDS 09-17-2012 03:05 AM

no, it does not. shoot till your hearts content. if steel shot, of all things doesn't hurt your steel barrel, then lead or copper MOST CERTAINLY will not, and DOES NOT.

unless, that is, you have a damascus steel barrel. then, do not shoot steel. i do not know about slugs and buckshot in them.

but i highly doubt your rossi is damascus steel.

c3shooter 09-17-2012 03:25 AM

What he said up there ^. For a smoothbore, use rifled slugs. Unless you have an Extra Full choke (usually found only on guns made for turkey hunters) you can shoot slugs or buck. Be sure to use shells no longer than the ones marked on your barrel, If it says 3 inch you can use 3 or 2 3/4, but if it says 2 3/4, do NOT try a 3 inch.

tonydewar 09-17-2012 03:29 AM

a rossie should be good to go with slugs. if it has tubes use the most open one you have unless you have a rifled one. and a damascus barrel on a rossie? you got to be kidding me

USEBOTHHANDS 09-17-2012 05:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by USEBOTHHANDS (Post 943936)
no, it does not. shoot till your hearts content. if steel shot, of all things doesn't hurt your steel barrel, then lead or copper MOST CERTAINLY will not, and DOES NOT.

unless, that is, you have a damascus steel barrel. then, do not shoot steel. i do not know about slugs and buckshot in them.

but i highly doubt your rossi is damascus steel.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tonydewar (Post 943980)
a rossie should be good to go with slugs. if it has tubes use the most open one you have unless you have a rifled one. and a damascus barrel on a rossie? you got to be kidding me

AND THAT'S WHY i wrote the last line...........:p

hiwall 09-17-2012 05:56 PM

Rifled shotgun barrels are a fairly "new" thing for shotguns. Slugs and buckshot are as old as shotguns themselves. So yes shoot what ever you want in your shotgun.

Eturnsdale 09-17-2012 06:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by USEBOTHHANDS (Post 943936)
if steel shot, of all things doesn't hurt your steel barrel, then lead or copper MOST CERTAINLY will not, and DOES NOT.

I don't pretend to be the most knowledgeable about shotguns. I mean I have a few, and use them for bird hunting and on occasion deer. So please forgive the ignorant question that follows.

Why would steel shot harm any type of shotgun barrel? I mean its encased in a plastic wad. Which is why, I assume, that you can fire tungsten shot with a steel barrel.

kytowboater 09-17-2012 06:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eturnsdale

I don't pretend to be the most knowledgeable about shotguns. I mean I have a few, and use them for bird hunting and on occasion deer. So please forgive the ignorant question that follows.

Why would steel shot harm any type of shotgun barrel? I mean its encased in a plastic wad. Which is why, I assume, that you can fire tungsten shot with a steel barrel.

Shot can be harder than the barrel, not compress like lead, and may cause over pressure if I'm not mistaken. Correct me if I'm wrong please.

WebleyFosbery38 09-17-2012 06:14 PM

Yup, only negatives are distance and accuracy, not as good in a bird barrel.

Eturnsdale 09-17-2012 06:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kytowboater (Post 944528)
Shot can be harder than the barrel, not compress like lead, and may cause over pressure if I'm not mistaken. Correct me if I'm wrong please.

Ok. Im not saying that you're wrong. But that doesnt make sense to me.