Firearm & Gun Forum -

Firearm & Gun Forum - (
-   General Shotgun Discussion (
-   -   Slugs through this barrel? (

jamesb 03-03-2011 04:19 AM

Slugs through this barrel?
So I just picked up a Remington 870 Express Synthetic. The Remington site says it has a fixed choke. Being new to all this i'm trying to understand all this. I understand chokes as different chokes allow the bird or buck shot to stay in a tighter pattern or group or spread out more depending on the choke.

My question is I want to shoot bird/buckshot and slugs at the range. Somebody I know mentioned to be careful with slugs cause if they don't fit you can mess up your gun.

I currently have these slugs.

Upon checking my barrel I see this below on the side. Would this mean the fixed barrel choke is a cylinder sized choke? And if so, can slugs be fired safely from them?

I'd rather be safe than sorry which is why i'm asking.

Gun in question:

skullcrusher 03-03-2011 04:41 AM

Any markings or paperwork that say "shot only"?

cyl = cylndrical=smooth bore.

Rifled slugs. No sabot.

deathkricket 03-03-2011 07:39 AM

1 Attachment(s)
The chokes are sized difrent to choke buck shot or bird when shot to hold a tight pattern at further distances, you shotgun in question has a cylinder bore which means the tube stays the same diameter all the way down. yes you can fire slugs in it, and buck and bird etc. all the fixed part means is it does not have a choke system in it. you are good to fire whatever you want though it. below is a chart of shotgun chokes to give you a idea of how they work. the smallest choke you would wana fire a slug in is a improved cylinder bore as any choke smaller would catch the slug. so long story short, yes you can fire slugs, just make sure they are rifled slugs not sabot slugs.

MGH 03-03-2011 08:14 AM

I have the same gun but with a removable choke.

Can I just take off the choke and shoot slugs?

deathkricket 03-03-2011 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by MGH (Post 456806)
I have the same gun but with a removable choke.

Can I just take off the choke and shoot slugs?

No, you will screw your threads up, switch to a cyl or imp cyl choke for shooting slugs.

JTJ 03-03-2011 06:11 PM

While I dont recommend shooting slugs through a full choke, the rifling on rifled slugs is not there to impart spin. The rifling is to allow the slug to swage through a choked shotgun. The hollow base stabilizes the slug. You can shoot rifled slugs through a choke but not solid slugs, pumpkin balls or saboted slugs. Saboted slugs will go through a smooth bore but the accuracy will suffer. The were designed for shotguns with riffled barrels.

MGH 03-03-2011 07:18 PM

Si I did a little looking around and I think the choke that came with my 870 is cyl. The Remington site says it's a "Extended Ported Tactical Rem Choke"
Can anyone verify that it is cyl?

Troy Michalik 03-03-2011 08:50 PM

MGH, take the choke out and look at it. Somewhere down on the threaded part it should be stamped as to what choke size it is.

ninjatoth 03-03-2011 10:50 PM

Your gun does not have any kind of choke at all,that's what cylinder means,you can shoot anything through it,but if I were you I would just go with Remington slugs because they fit tighter than some and you will get better accuracy.Don't expect much with buck or bird any further than 15-20 yards,but slugs(especially Remington)will do alright out to 100 yards or so.

Sniper03 03-03-2011 11:04 PM

The guys are correct! You can shoot anything you want out of it! Without damaging anything! Other than Dynamite!!! Shot or Slugs. As stated some slugs will shoot better than others. It would be good for 00 also for self defense as well as bird hunting at close range with bird shot. Like quail hunting at close range for example.