slugs - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > slugs

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-14-2012, 09:34 PM   #11
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
locutus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 9,288
Liked 5694 Times on 3218 Posts
Likes Given: 5086

Default

Spent my working life in law enforcement. 15 years as a firearms instructor.

That's what we used, and it worked well for us.

My Benelli M-2 is threaded for choke tubes. Haven't used one yet.

__________________
“We sleep safely at night because rough men stand ready to visit violence on those who would harm us.”


Winston Churchill
locutus is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 09:42 PM   #12
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
akers06's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 1,195
Liked 107 Times on 86 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by locutus
Spent my working life in law enforcement. 15 years as a firearms instructor.

That's what we used, and it worked well for us.

My Benelli M-2 is threaded for choke tubes. Haven't used one yet.
Well I guarantee that you won't be able to thread a tube back in it bc u have already messed your threads up in the end of your barrel.....that might have been what u guys used but did you ever try shooting slugs at 100 yards with different chokes??? I'm guessing you didn't
__________________
akers06 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 09:57 PM   #13
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 432
Liked 35 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 33

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bs1984 View Post
Can u shoot slugs outta a smooth bored barrel if so is there a certain kind I have seen a slug barrel for my new shotgun but I was just wondering
This applies only to factory loads and not Lee or Lyman cast slugs.

Sabot : designed for rifled shotgun barrel. Can be shot through a Cylinder (no choke) smooth bore, do not shoot through a choked barrel of any sort. Reason is the sabot is solid and will not swag down to the size of a choke. Another reason is poor accuracy, it is killing accurate to an extent but the sabot will key hole….or tumble in flight.

Rifled foster slug: foster refers to the hollow base. The hollow base expands from the pressure of the discharge sealing the skirt to the bore. The “rifling” is not for anything other than providing a crumple zone, if you will ,for the slug to fit through various chokes and can be used up to Full choke. The rifling does not impart spin on the slug. Designed for smooth bore and can be shot through a rifled barrel with ok accuracy but not as good as a sabot.

Brenneke style:. It is basically an improved foster. The Wad, or shot column stays with the slug through penetration. This offers some advantages in flight stability and extra mass for energy and penetration on the target. This is where you need to pay attention to labeling as some Brenneke brand slugs can be sabots and will be labeled as so.

This is not a Brenneke brand slug but it is a Brenneke style.

Take away the wad/column and it is a rifled foster


The kind of ammo your shotgun likes is going to very from others. The best you can do is buy a couple 5 round boxes and see which of them shoots best from your particular barrel with your particular choke.
__________________
oli700 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 09:58 PM   #14
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
akers06's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 1,195
Liked 107 Times on 86 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by oli700

This applies only to factory loads and not Lee or Lyman cast slugs.

Sabot : designed for rifled shotgun barrel. Can be shot through a Cylinder (no choke) smooth bore, do not shoot through a choked barrel of any sort. Reason is the sabot is solid and will not swag down to the size of a choke. Another reason is poor accuracy, it is killing accurate to an extent but the sabot will key hole….or tumble in flight.

Rifled foster slug: foster refers to the hollow base. The hollow base expands from the pressure of the discharge sealing the skirt to the bore. The “rifling” is not for anything other than providing a crumple zone, if you will ,for the slug to fit through various chokes and can be used up to Full choke. The rifling does not impart spin on the slug. Designed for smooth bore and can be shot through a rifled barrel with ok accuracy but not as good as a sabot.

Brenneke style:. It is basically an improved foster. The Wad, or shot column stays with the slug through penetration. This offers some advantages in flight stability and extra mass for energy and penetration on the target. This is where you need to pay attention to labeling as some Brenneke brand slugs can be sabots and will be labeled as so.

This is not a Brenneke brand slug but it is a Brenneke style.

Take away the wad/column and it is a rifled foster

The kind of ammo your shotgun likes is going to very from others. The best you can do is buy a couple 5 round boxes and see which of them shoots best from your particular barrel with your particular choke.
That's good info brother
__________________
akers06 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 09:59 PM   #15
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
locutus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 9,288
Liked 5694 Times on 3218 Posts
Likes Given: 5086

Default

My barrel is just fine. I can't imagine any reason that I would ever need, or want, to install a choke in an M-2.

Slugs at 100 yards? Why?

We carried rifles for ranges past 50 yards.

__________________
“We sleep safely at night because rough men stand ready to visit violence on those who would harm us.”


Winston Churchill
locutus is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 10:02 PM   #16
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
akers06's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 1,195
Liked 107 Times on 86 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by locutus
My barrel is just fine. I can't imagine any reason that I would ever need, or want, to install a choke in an M-2.

Slugs at 100 yards? Why?

We carried rifles for ranges past 50 yards.
Well I live in Ohio and it is illegal to deer hunt with a rifle so were stuck with slug guns or muzzleloaders so thats why shotguns at 100 yards .....have you tried to thread a tube in your barrel???
__________________
akers06 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 10:13 PM   #17
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
locutus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 9,288
Liked 5694 Times on 3218 Posts
Likes Given: 5086

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by akers06 View Post
Well I live in Ohio and it is illegal to deer hunt with a rifle so were stuck with slug guns or muzzleloaders so thats why shotguns at 100 yards .....have you tried to thread a tube in your barrel???



Why would I?

A choke would be utterly useless in a defensive weapon like the M-2.

BTW, the owner's manual states that it can be used with or without the supplied choke tubes. Inasmuch as the tubes are useless, I fail to understand why the tubes were even supplied with the weapon.
__________________
“We sleep safely at night because rough men stand ready to visit violence on those who would harm us.”


Winston Churchill
locutus is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 10:14 PM   #18
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 432
Liked 35 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 33

Default

I shoot foster slugs at 12" gongs 200 yards out, with a 20" Vang Comp Mossberg 500 smooth bore for no more reason than to do it and its fun....

__________________
oli700 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 10:18 PM   #19
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
akers06's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 1,195
Liked 107 Times on 86 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by locutus


Why would I?

A choke would be utterly useless in a defensive weapon like the M-2.

BTW, the owner's manual states that it can be used with or without the supplied choke tubes. Inasmuch as the tubes are useless, I fail to understand why the tubes were even supplied with the weapon.
Just because it is a tactical shotgun it can still be used for other things sa hunting or shooting Clays but its your gun do with it what you want but I promise you if you have shot it without a tube you have ruined it from having a tube screwed back in it ask anybody on this forum that knows about shotguns and they will agree with me
__________________
akers06 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 10:21 PM   #20
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 432
Liked 35 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 33

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by locutus View Post
BTW, the owner's manual states that it can be used with or without the supplied choke tubes. Inasmuch as the tubes are useless, I fail to understand why the tubes were even supplied with the weapon.
Because some ammo performs better with some chokes, even defensive ammo and slugs not always but sometimes so the option is nice. I don’t really see how a lead slug is going to ruin steel treads........might fill them with lead but that can be cleaned out.......now if you shoot steel shot, that will ruin the threads even through the wad with repeated use.
__________________
oli700 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
sabot slugs and rifled slugs question CodyWalkerJr General Shotgun Discussion 9 02-12-2013 02:27 AM
slugs shooter88 General Shotgun Discussion 4 12-14-2011 12:55 PM
Slugs SmithKid308 General Shotgun Discussion 1 07-24-2011 12:26 PM
Lee slugs Niteflyer General Shotgun Discussion 4 10-23-2010 05:55 AM
Slugs plumbermario General Shotgun Discussion 1 07-03-2007 06:13 PM