Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > slug ricochets

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-16-2007, 03:41 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default slug ricochets

Is it possible if you were shooting straight at a target 50 yards away for a slug to bounce back and hit you?

If your shooting something with that much velocity and energy in a straight line how could it come back that far at a 12 degree? angle or so in the opposite direction just from bouncing off of something? Doesn't the lead get squished when it hits stuff straight on and if it hits at an angle its not likely to come back your way?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-16-2007, 04:37 PM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2581 Times on 1356 Posts
Likes Given: 197

Default Ricochets

ANYTHING is possible. I have been hit by 16 ricochets. Yes I keep count. As a firearms instructor I have seen some really wild situations. I have had bullets fly straight back and hit me, arch up in the air and hit me, fly at angles from another shooter and hit me. I am a bullet magnet. Do not stand near me in a firefight.

Fortunately, body armor stopped 15 of the 16. Most were fragments, some were full bullets. One fragment got me in the left bicep and ruined a brand new shirt with a hole and blood stains. Fragment still visible above the skin and I removed it.

If it can happen, it will or more likely already has happened.

Old 10-17-2007, 03:26 AM   #3
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default slugs bouncing back

Oh, you can take that strait to the bank! Slugs do bounce back, I have cought a few myself, more times than not it is the copper jacket that will nail you, people that don't where shooting glasses are fools, though I have never took a hit to the glasses, It just means you are do!!! I have never had a rifle bullet bounce back, or a shotgun, but it is always a pistol bullet, I'm sure do to the shorter range, but don't rule it out, anything is possible, At the pistol range I frequint they have a padded vynle covered wall to your back, and to look at it you would think everybody that shoots there would get hit, there is so much copper hanging off of it it looks like a giant cheese grater.

If you run your just going to die tired!!!