Slug Guns - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > Slug Guns

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-25-2012, 02:03 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 46 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 246

I would get the Mossberg 535 combo and pick up some hornday SST's (punishing rounds by the way). As Accurate as a centerfire out to 200 yards. Great setup.

Woe to those who make unjust laws and to those who issue oppressive decrees. -Isaiah 10:1

Blaming guns for death is like blaming forks for obesity

Old 04-30-2013, 11:27 PM   #12

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I have an H&R ultra slug 12G.and that batboy is sweet. I have shot it but will hunt with it this year for the first time since unjust hot it a couple months ago. I have started snagging boxes of Hornady SST 2 3/4 slugs (they look gnarly) and I'm super excited to drop some meat with it this fall

Old 04-30-2013, 11:29 PM   #13

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I am also looking for any other suggestions as fat as sabot slugs that are descent. Hornady is a bit pricey to practice with

Old 05-01-2013, 02:25 AM   #14

Liked 11 Times on 6 Posts

Each gun will like certain types of ammo. I have used an ithaca smooth bore 870 rifled Charles daly smooth bore and a moss berg bolt action. All 12 gauge different chamber size and different slugs. The daly and ithaca love Remington sluggers . I shoot nothing but
Light field out of rifled barrels as they have been flawless. I am in the
Market for a new sabot as the light fields have gotten really expensive . Figure out your hunting style and pick an action that suits your needs. Then Test out different kinds of ammo till you find which ones your gun likes best. Field hunting ... Pump bolt or break action might be good. Wooded or brushy area and a semi or pump might suit your needs. Never have too many guns as each one serves its own purpose and intent for each situation and hunting condition

Old 05-01-2013, 02:43 AM   #15
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 330 Times on 193 Posts
Likes Given: 64

My H&R Ultra slug loves Remington AccuTips. I went through about 5 brands to find what my gun likes.

Old 05-01-2013, 06:53 AM   #16
No Longer a NY Resident.
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1579 Times on 966 Posts
Likes Given: 8185

What I'm going to do is give you the same advice that someone gave me about 20 years ago when I went looking for a new slug gun.

If you have friends who own a model you are considering, ask them if you can go out shooting with them, and if they would mind letting you try out what their slug gun. Think of it as a test drive using the same make and model car as the one you want to buy, without the hassle of having to deal with a pushy salesman. After you try out the different models, you will have a much better idea of what will and won't work for you.

After you have decided and purchased your slug gun, go out and but a couple of boxes each of the slugs (Rifled for smoothbore, sabot for rifled barrels) for each brand that you want to try out. Go to the range and shoot some 3 round groups. Pick the slugs that perform best for your gun, and sight in using them ( your not after a bull's eye, just a satisfactory group on paper, then you do the sighting in.) At that point, you will have a shotgun you will be happy with for a long time, and you will know you are good to go when you go afield.

I can't reccomend a certain brand of shotgun or slug to you because I'm not you, and no 2 guns are identical in their performance and ammo preference. I can however tell you what I use. I use a Mossberg 185d 20 Ga. that delivers the best performance with Remington 2 and 3\4 inc Sluggers. you will not find them new as they were made in the late 1940s, but you can buy one for under $100 if you can find one that looks a little rough, and you work on it yourself. I paid $80 for the gun, $25 for the bluing kit and the steel wool, and I spent about 4 days working on it. Mine came with the interchangeable choke tubes that screw onto the outside of the barrel, the tube wrench, and an aftermarket peep sight. I can bust 3 beer bottles set up at 50 yards with it with ease, and it will shoot minute of deer at 80 yards with no problems at all. Pretty good deal for $105.

Deals are out there, you just have to look for them. Hope this helps, and best of luck.

Is it better to do the right thing for the wrong reason, or to do the wrong thing for the right reason? If you do the wrong thing for the right reason, is it still the wrong thing?

Si vis pacem para bellum.

To those who wish to take away our Second Amendment rights. What will you do when we, all 100,000,000 of us, stand as one, and say no?

Old 05-11-2013, 03:13 AM   #17

Liked 14 Times on 10 Posts

Get an 870 and some hollow points. You might want to hold in when you shoot it, it's a shoulder buster.

Old 05-11-2013, 03:14 AM   #18

Liked 14 Times on 10 Posts

I ment to say on not in.