slug?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > slug?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-23-2010, 06:48 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default slug?

Can i shoot a rifled slug through a rifled slug barrel? Or should I use a smooth bore barrel with what kind of choke tube?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-23-2010, 06:55 PM   #2

Liked 23 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I am certainly no expert, but it seems to me if you were to shoot a rifled slug (uncoated lead) through a rifled barrel, it would foul the rifling on the barrel. My memory tells me that all unrifled slugs are sabot and rifled slugs are raw lead.

But an argument to that would be there are raw lead bullets out there that are shot through rifled barrels all the time with no problem.

If I had chance to have a rifled barrel on one of my shotties, it wouldn't bother me to only shoot sabot.

just my .02

"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind. Games played with the ball, and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be your constant companion of your walks."
Thomas Jefferson
From the great speaker...er uh Barak Obongo

"Liberals make great proctologists. They're the only ones who truly know what the inside of an anus looks like."~me

Old 01-23-2010, 06:56 PM   #3

The packages of my black magic and KO slugs say "For use in rifled and smooth barrels" they are solid lead... just may take a few more swipes of the brush to clean... although they do have a plastic jacket they sit in...

WCU Rugby!

Lucky Taurus Owner... 3 out of 3! PT1911/ PT92F/ 44 Raging Bull

Old 01-23-2010, 08:10 PM   #4

Liked 747 Times on 522 Posts
Likes Given: 789

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zacsquatch View Post
The packages of my black magic and KO slugs say "For use in rifled and smooth barrels" they are solid lead... just may take a few more swipes of the brush to clean... although they do have a plastic jacket they sit in...

A sabot.
I shot a Slug gun for many years, a smooth bore, no choke w/ rifle sights. Damb accurate at 100 yards w/ rifled slugs. I bought it in 1976 for $65.00 new, fed myself through many lean years in Colorado and sold it in 1992 for $100.00. Should have kept it.

Old 01-23-2010, 08:42 PM   #5

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamhale View Post
Can i shoot a rifled slug through a rifled slug barrel? Or should I use a smooth bore barrel with what kind of choke tube?
You can, but it can affect accuracy. Shoot saboted slugs (plastic jacketed) in your rifled barrel. Very accurate. Rifled slugs do well in smooth bore barrels. Some use a rifled choke, I do not. A regular improved cylinder or accu-choke is fine.

The idea of both is to have stabilization on the slug by spinning it as it travels down the barrel and into the target.

From C3Shooter:
Skullcrusher, you are evil, sick, demented, twisted- and my hero!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
...without the Second, we cannot protect the rest!

Old 01-23-2010, 08:59 PM   #6

Liked 23 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zacsquatch View Post
Those are called Sabot's, which you can shoot through any barrel. When shot through a smooth bore, they are not as accurate as they do not spin due to no rifling on either the slug or the barrel.

That is why they have rifled slugs which are supposed to be shot through a smooth barrel to provide a stabilizing spin.
"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind. Games played with the ball, and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be your constant companion of your walks."
Thomas Jefferson
From the great speaker...er uh Barak Obongo

"Liberals make great proctologists. They're the only ones who truly know what the inside of an anus looks like."~me