Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Shotgun Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f26/)
-   -   Slings for my maverick 88 mossberg? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f26/slings-my-maverick-88-mossberg-86556/)

keginth 03-14-2013 08:31 PM

Slings for my maverick 88 mossberg?

I have a Mossberg maverick model 88 12g shotgun. I use it mainly for HD and first time bird hunting. Trying to find a reasonable one or two point sling for HD. But haven't had time or the money to get one so just been researching.
Does anybody know a brand and point they like best?

Jagermeister 03-14-2013 08:39 PM

Blackhawk makes good slings, but you will have to purchase a front attachment. One point slings are not for hunting, because the gun will start banging on your body. After a while, you will just start holding the gun instead of utilizing the sling. Plus, it is hard to traverse terrain with a one point sling. As a hunter, trust me, you want that gun on your shoulder when not utilized.

longunner 03-14-2013 08:49 PM

Your going to have to get sling swivel studs the Maverick doesn't come with them...at least mine didnt...

keginth 03-15-2013 02:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jagermeister
Blackhawk makes good slings, but you will have to purchase a front attachment. One point slings are not for hunting, because the gun will start banging on your body. After a while, you will just start holding the gun instead of utilizing the sling. Plus, it is hard to traverse terrain with a one point sling. As a hunter, trust me, you want that gun on your shoulder when not utilized.

I wasn't going to use the sling when I'm hunting, only for HD bc a one point sling fits good with my plate carrier vest. But thanks for input and I was looking at the Blackhawks but there kinda expensive. And I don't know if a sling is worth that much.

HockaLouis 03-15-2013 02:21 AM

Unless you're really hoofing it you don't put a sling on a shotgun.
Plate carrier eh? Got any plates!?

Rick1967 03-15-2013 02:33 AM

Um...let me get this straight. If someone breaks into your home you are planning on putting on a vest and attaching a shot gun to it before you defend yourself? Just saying.

keginth 03-15-2013 02:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rick1967
Um...let me get this straight. If someone breaks into your home you are planning on putting on a vest and attaching a shot gun to it before you defend yourself? Just saying.

Lol no I use my vest for range uses bc of my mags for my handgun are on there. And it will be Easier to move my shotgun away when it's empty with a sling, instead of putting in the dirt. Over and over.

HockaLouis 03-15-2013 02:46 AM

Hopefully a sling with lots of spare 3" Mag 1-1/2 oz. 00 Buck 12 ga. shells sloshing around in loops up by the muzzle/shoulder pad! Don't worry -- there aren't actually plates in the plate carrier vest...

keginth 03-15-2013 02:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HockaLouis
Unless you're really hoofing it you don't put a sling on a shotgun.
Plate carrier eh? Got any plates!?

Yea a roctheo vest and I only use one plate on the front and its 8 by 10.

keginth 03-15-2013 02:49 AM

[QUOTE="keginth"]

Yea a rothco vest and I only use one plate on the front and its 8 by 10.