Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > Sling needed on R'mgton 870 for home defense?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-15-2008, 04:34 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Likes Given: 1

Default Sling needed on R'mgton 870 for home defense?

I have just purchased a Remington 870.

Came with no sling. Is one needed / useful for home defense?

What would it be used for? I read some bloke suggesting it would be good to prevent Mr. Bad pulling my weopon from my grip. Hmmm --- "Tug_of_war' is no game I want to play with my Shotgun.

Another suggestion I read : a sling gves me some where safe to sling my weopon ..*AT HAND * if I need to grab my knife or his testicles or some cord to tie-up the unconsious intruder.

What do people think?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-15-2008, 07:44 AM   #2

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

It's not a necessity if the weapon is strictly for home defense. However, if you ever take it out in the woods or to a range, it's a nice thing to have.

Buy a moderately priced, good quality one that can be easily put on and taken off the gun.

Old 09-20-2008, 12:51 AM   #3

Likes Given: 2

how would you mount the sling?

i had a 1 month old Remington 870 express and the mag cap had no hole in it... i had to return it due to many defects, and got a brand new one, this one has a hole in the magazene cap, i am asuming this is for a sling...

what all is needed to mount a sling to this gun... a lot of other guns have mounts on the stocks... not this one..

for home defense, no, you will want it up and ready to go...

for hunting and long walks, or at the range where you dont want to set it down... it is VERY helpfull...
i was also showed how the army uses the sling wraped around their arm for more stability... i like it... much more secure

Old 09-22-2008, 06:30 AM   #4

Dont put a sling on an HD gun. You want as little gizmos and gadgets as you can, the sling is unneccesary, even, dare I say it, the 3 point.

MESA TACTICAL REVIEW

Old 09-22-2008, 12:09 PM   #5

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

agree with our comrades, no sling for HD gun it would only serve to get in the way/ tangled up; "cleaner" is better - adrenaline is a funny thing

Old 09-22-2008, 11:38 PM   #6

Cant tell ya how many times Ive shot/hunted with my 870 in rain and snow without any problems. Take good care of your shotgun, but dont think of it as some ticking time bomb waiting to explode at the slightest hint of rain.

MESA TACTICAL REVIEW