Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > the skeet and trap thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-29-2013, 11:02 AM   #51
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 644 Times on 508 Posts

i just noticed. his name is blindshooter. no wonder he didnt answer us.

Retired Naval Aviation
Former Member U.S. Navy Shooting Team
Contact Man for the FTF Shotgun Shoot
http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f138/4th-ftf-shotgun-shoot-hoot-vanzant-mo-oct-4-5-2014-a-105142/

Old 03-31-2013, 05:30 PM   #52

Liked 23 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 6

In case anyone hasn't figured it out yet bobski and Virginian are experts on the remmys. I use an 1100 for sporting clays. 30" vent rib with screw in extended chokes and a Monte Carlo stock. One thing to consider is a shell catcher or a knock down stud. There are A LOT of pre Madonnas in ATA that will try to blame every one with semi autos for every dent and scratch in their $10,000 gun. There are thousands of things you could learn about trap. I've been shooting trap for about twenty years and I still learn every day I shoot.

"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind. Games played with the ball, and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be your constant companion of your walks."
Thomas Jefferson
From the great speaker...er uh Barak Obongo

"Liberals make great proctologists. They're the only ones who truly know what the inside of an anus looks like."~me
blindshooter Likes This 
Old 04-06-2013, 09:44 AM   #53

Liked 37 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 24

[QUOTE=bobski;1195132]i just noticed. his name is blindshooter. no wonder he didnt answer us.[/QUOTE

Bobski..I only have access to my computer when I'm home on weekends, but I will answer all questions as soon as I get a chance.

FYI.. I'm not a he and I'm only blind when I shoot comps.
I appreciate all the help you are offering and will get back with you , sooner than later.
I just bought a 1100 20 gauge that looks like new with a 27 " rib and mod.
I may have to change the barrel.
What do you think about using biodegradable clays?

Old 04-06-2013, 11:27 AM   #54

Liked 119 Times on 91 Posts

You got an excellent gun. I'm hoping you got an LT20 and not the old model on the 12 gauge sized receiver. The old ones work fine, but barrels are very expensive and parts are drying up. Anything for an LT20 is available.
Why do you think you may need to change the barrel? If it's just the choke, and you like the feel as is, you can get choke tubes fitted cheaper than a new barrel with choke tubes. Mike Orlen does excellent work, and very reasonable. He and Brileys are the only ones I would personally vouch for. No doubt there are others that do good work, but I have had excellent experience with them.
The biodegradeable targets are harder to break in my opinion. I don't like them. If the wild damn hogs get hold of any of the pieces of pitch targets - good.

What could have happened... did.

Old 04-06-2013, 12:18 PM   #55
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

bio has lost favor over time. seems they dont degrade afterall and kill the soil.

Retired Naval Aviation
http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f138/4th-ftf-shotgun-shoot-hoot-vanzant-mo-oct-4-5-2014-a-105142/

Old 04-06-2013, 04:24 PM   #56
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 242 Times on 187 Posts
Likes Given: 91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virginian View Post
You got an excellent gun. I'm hoping you got an LT20 and not the old model on the 12 gauge sized receiver. The old ones work fine, but barrels are very expensive and parts are drying up. Anything for an LT20 is available.
Why do you think you may need to change the barrel? If it's just the choke, and you like the feel as is, you can get choke tubes fitted cheaper than a new barrel with choke tubes. Mike Orlen does excellent work, and very reasonable. He and Brileys are the only ones I would personally vouch for. No doubt there are others that do good work, but I have had excellent experience with them.
The biodegradeable targets are harder to break in my opinion. I don't like them. If the wild damn hogs get hold of any of the pieces of pitch targets - good.

Just curious, what do you consider reasonable - cost wise ? I ran into this issue w savage SXS Fox 12 ga and in 02-03, and the short version - I had the chokes opened up instead. IC/Mod.

20g w Mod: If you have the lead right & follow through, you can shoot skeet w anything. (Ive seen 50 straight w 410) However, if your just beginning - you are handicapping yourself unnecessarily IMHO.

Last edited by Gonzilla; 04-06-2013 at 05:08 PM.

Old 04-06-2013, 05:13 PM   #57
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

fancy chokes are a fad and a gimmick. hunters have hunted with fixed chokes for decades. and as you say, if youre on youre on.
in the old day, 2 bbl guns were always 2 different chokes. its why they invented sbs's.
the 2nd shot was always tighter if you missed on the 1st shot. why? bird would be further away.

but mix up your bbls and youd poof the bird into dust and feathers.

i alway teach gun owners to learn their gun. if all you have is mod and full then shoot it.
just use the full choke on going aways and mod on incoming. in skeet, remember to flip the selector on the other side of the field. or in double trigger situations, back trigger first, then front. front trigger was always more open.

Retired Naval Aviation

Old 04-06-2013, 05:31 PM   #58

Well, I love choke tubes. I have been using them since the '70s with custom tubes from the late Stan Baker and Ralph Walker. Shooting farm quail is way different than wild pheasants or waterfowl, and skeet and Sporting Clays are different too.
Mike charges $55 for choke tube installation, $15 return shipping, and flush choke tubes are $29 and extended are $35. $50 to open a choke. His turn aroud times this time of year are usually under two weeks.
http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=36237

Old 04-06-2013, 06:24 PM   #59
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 242 Times on 187 Posts
Likes Given: 91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virginian View Post
Well, I love choke tubes. I have been using them since the '70s with custom tubes from the late Stan Baker and Ralph Walker. Shooting farm quail is way different than wild pheasants or waterfowl, and skeet and Sporting Clays are different too.
Mike charges $55 for choke tube installation, $15 return shipping, and flush choke tubes are $29 and extended are $35. $50 to open a choke. His turn aroud times this time of year are usually under two weeks.
http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=36237
Wish I had known you in 2002...I like the option of changing pattern but Bobbi is also correct, if you know your pattern & ammo, a good shooter can adjust.

Bobski:
Not sure why I w use a tighter choke on skeet stations 5-7 first. Especially station 6 doubles. Maybe I misunderstood what you meant.

I normally shoot a Baretta 391 Paralel Tgt - gas gun. More advanced piston design than 1100. (Never liked rubber ring). I often have trouble adjusting to double triggers on my SXS.

Although, I have had the "poof" n feathers happen more often than I would like to admit. . I try to let the bird get a little farther away or lead them a bit more.

Last edited by Gonzilla; 04-06-2013 at 06:30 PM.

Old 04-06-2013, 06:53 PM   #60

How are you going to "adjust" to a wild flushing rooster with a Skeet Choke?
I shoot a lot of Full choke in the field, but I have good fire control and can wait when I have to. Skeets ain't going to get any further away, and the same is true for a lot of sporting targets. You can use Full, but it is tough. When you can fit the choke to the targets things are just a bit easier in my opinion.
Before choke tubes I had a real collection of barrels, but I'm down to 6 extra ones now.