the skeet and trap thread - Page 24
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > the skeet and trap thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-28-2014, 08:14 AM   #231
disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED...
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3380 Times on 2286 Posts
Likes Given: 710

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonzilla View Post
I don't have much experience w cleaning a SXS but I have extensive experience cleaning recoil and gas operated guns. My Rem 870 - 20 ga pump is a royal PIA to reassemble. Left slide rail - click, right slide rail - click seems to take 3 hands and a vice to accomplish. I even talked to Remington about it and they said the smaller receiver on the 20 ga has little room for error. Reassembly can be quite a chore to accomplish but they do come apart in seconds.

I suppose I am rarely "sane" by Bobski's definition. I just run a snake down the barrel and wipe the gun down. Beretta's handbook - don't need to disassemble bolt n trigger group until 500 rd mark. If the gun is working running fine, I have been known to let her go even farther. Rem 1100 have a good reputation for running a long time w min maintenance. Benelli's also have good rep as long as you use the right ammunition. (some can't cycle light loads)

Being X Military - I HATE cleaning weapons and if the gun is tempermental or and won't run dirty, I will not buy it. I've known some people who have shot a pump for 20 years and never fully disassembled for one reason or another.

Gonz, that's Funny, But this Here Ex-Aviator loves Cleaning Guns!

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

"The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather in a lack of will." Vince Lombardi

"No One, and I MEAN NO ONE Craps on me and Gets away with it!!! Those days are gone...

Old 04-28-2014, 11:57 AM   #232

Liked 870 Times on 680 Posts

cleaning guns daily was meant to reveal gun damage or failing parts as well. but then again...some understood and some never did. such was the military...and im sure it still is that way. and people wonder why each gun comes with a cleaning kit for IN THE FIELD. crud hides cracks.
gun cleaning was meant to be a close and personal inspection of your life saver.
http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f138/6th-ftf-shotgun-shoot-hoot-vanzant-mo-oct-9-10-2015-a-114464/

Old 05-01-2014, 12:59 AM   #233
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 321 Times on 248 Posts
Likes Given: 144

In four years of active duty and a couple in reserves, I have yet to meet an armorer who wasn't a prick. It comes down to whose "time" is being wasted. If it is yours, every weapon will fail inspection - guaranteeed However,, when it suddently becomes "their" time - those exact same weapons are suddently and miraculously become clean and are accepted.

My brother was in the 82nd and somehow (through luck or incredible mismanagement) they were issued a brand new weapon. Everyone in the unit was shocked as no one had ever seen one before. When they tried to turn it in, it failed inspection as well.

Dr. Football - Man do I wish you lived closer !

Last edited by Gonzilla; 05-01-2014 at 01:20 AM.

Old 05-01-2014, 12:50 PM   #234

as many know, i jumped joint forces with all branches. there were times to be perfect and times to not be.
as a para-rigger, there was never a time not to be perfect
its served me well. cars, guns, jumping, shooting, studying....its a good american habit.
as to guns failing in the r-me...hmmm could be that lowest bidder murphys law!
our teams guns were all shot out, but clean and functioned. CONGRESS is to blame for poor quality guns and repairs. we could do it if we had the funding...but we all know that budget stuff dont we.
http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f138/6th-ftf-shotgun-shoot-hoot-vanzant-mo-oct-9-10-2015-a-114464/

Last edited by bobski; 05-01-2014 at 09:16 PM.

Old 05-01-2014, 02:48 PM   #235
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: -1 reviews

Liked 362 Times on 223 Posts
Likes Given: 645

So my wife is hooked on sporting clays/skeet shooting now. She wants to get her own semi-auto shotgun to shoot every week. What are you guys using or recommending? She's shot a Rem 1100 and my Mossberg 930 but she really likes the way the Beretta A300 Outlandr feels. Advice?

Old 05-01-2014, 09:17 PM   #236

whatever fits her and patterns worth a crap. serious. brand name becomes a moot point in line with those facts.

Old 05-02-2014, 09:21 PM   #237
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argyle_Armoring View Post
So my wife is hooked on sporting clays/skeet shooting now. She wants to get her own semi-auto shotgun to shoot every week. What are you guys using or recommending? She's shot a Rem 1100 and my Mossberg 930 but she really likes the way the Beretta A300 Outlandr feels. Advice?
I own a Beretta 391 in 12 ga and an 1187 in 20 ga. Both are reliable firearms. The gas system in the Beretta is superior to the Remington but the gun is also more expensive.

Most of the women at my club shoot the a Rem 1100, it's the std by which most autos are judged.

Whichever gun "fits" her the best is the one you should buy. Watch a couple youtube videos on gun fit and then go shopping. Be careful on the used mkt. I bought a a SXS in great shape but the barrels were not concentric and it took my gunsmith some time to correct the problem.

Glad to hear we have another convert to the sport.

PS:The big dogs all seem to shoot O/U's - wish I could afford one.

Old 05-02-2014, 09:23 PM   #238

if ya didnt dump so much cash into those guns that you have with all those bells and whistles added...you could have!
it would have been cheaper.

Old 05-02-2014, 11:06 PM   #239
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobski View Post
if ya didnt dump so much cash into those guns that you have with all those bells and whistles added...you could have!
it would have been cheaper.
The only mod I'm not sure of is the porting. I'd like to shoot two guns side by side on a skeet double to see if it really does work.

The mod I like the most: the Briley bolt release - Sweet !

If you were to add the price of both of my guns w all their mods - I still couldn't afford a Browning or Beretta skeet gun. They used to be only $2.5K back in the day.

Saw a Remington 3200 w 4 barrels set for sale at the Newington Gun Exchange. (Don't see one of those every day - $7K) Looked just like yours except it had adj comb.

From what I've read - Adj comb's add $300 to price of gun but I'm not sure if you get your money's worth out of other mods on resale; so if you get it done, I hope you love, love, love it.

Old 05-03-2014, 02:36 PM   #240

7 grand is jacked. 5 grand is fair with the remington case. ....and it must be unaltered. an adj comb ruins collectiblity. granted, its a nice mod...but not a reason to jack it 2 grand too high.