Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > the skeet and trap thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-03-2012, 11:28 AM   #11
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1382 Times on 939 Posts
Likes Given: 474

I shoot at Rose Hill in Nashville, NC. It's expensive but I like the people there. It's worth the extra money to avoid Durham County Wildlife Club. If DCWC was the only place around here to shoot I would sell all my guns but a couple for self defense.

Old 12-03-2012, 08:18 PM   #12
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 644 Times on 508 Posts

whats wrong with durham county? ive heard nothing but good about it?

Retired Naval Aviation
Former Member U.S. Navy Shooting Team
Contact Man for the FTF Shotgun Shoot
http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f138/4th-ftf-shotgun-shoot-hoot-vanzant-mo-oct-4-5-2014-a-105142/

Old 12-03-2012, 08:32 PM   #13
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobski View Post
whats wrong with durham county? ive heard nothing but good about it?
I don't like 3 or more people at once yelling at me. There is a belief at DCWC that embarrassment increases safety. What they fail to understand is Mamma told me smack people who talk to me like that. All this yelling will start for simple infractions like reaching a little to far to pick up a hull. That is the only infraction of the rules I have committed at DCWC. The last few times I have been there I left in a huff over something really stupid. I can't help it! When I see an AA hull I am going to pick it up.
Old 12-04-2012, 12:35 PM   #14
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

gotcha.
i can see how it can happen. skeet and trap is much like golf where rules dominate the game, especially when youre around people who dont know each other.
sorry it happened to you.
btw...this is why i never pick up hulls until after the game. i personally dont like bending down where loaded guns can be near my hands or head. and if one of my hulls goes past a window or house edge, i let it go.
i dont like the idea of being shot by the guy on next field over when i walk down range to get it!
picking up hulls is like picking up brass on a hot firing line. no one i know would go forward to get it. so when that guy is on station, the line is hot, i always step back.
thats just me.

Retired Naval Aviation
http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f138/4th-ftf-shotgun-shoot-hoot-vanzant-mo-oct-4-5-2014-a-105142/

Last edited by bobski; 12-04-2012 at 12:45 PM.

Old 12-04-2012, 12:52 PM   #15
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobski View Post
gotcha.
i can see how it can happen. skeet and trap is much like golf where rules dominate the game, especially when youre around people who dont know each other.
sorry it happened to you.
btw...this is why i never pick up hulls until after the game. i personally dont like bending down where loaded guns can be near my hands or head. and if one of my hulls goes past a window or house edge, i let it go.
i dont like the idea of being shot by the guy on next field over when i walk down range to get it!
picking up hulls is like picking up brass on a hot firing line. no one i know would go forward to get it. so when that guy is on station, the line is hot, i always step back.
I am not concerned with being shot by the guy in the next field. if getting peppered by falling bird shot was dangerous no dove hunters would survive the hunt. I have been peppered by other rabbit hunters and the bird shot didn't penetrate my brier pants. Don't take me wrong! I respect the rules set by any club whether I agree with them or not. A simple reminder I would be fine with it. But a circle of yelling men I will not tolerate. This theory that embarrassment increases safety is ludacris. It's human nature, once someone raises their voice communication stops. It's a shooting club, not boot camp!
Old 12-04-2012, 12:55 PM   #16
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

that of course is over the top if they are yelling like that. i wouldnt stop going, id just avoid the idiots.

Retired Naval Aviation

Old 12-04-2012, 09:04 PM   #17
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

hey, just to let you guys know, the ftf admin boss just ok'ed a fun shoot at my place. come on out to mo in march for a vacation and shoot. all ftf members invited.

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f138/1st-annual-ftf-shotgun-shoot-hoot-vanzant-mo-march-9-13-a-77711/#post1038835

Retired Naval Aviation

Old 01-01-2013, 08:37 PM   #18
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

sticky me!

Retired Naval Aviation

Old 01-01-2013, 10:06 PM   #19
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 15 Times on 9 Posts

I'm a Range Officer for the shotgun venues at Alpine in Ft. Worth. Alpine is a public range. I go over the range rules with all shooters (new and repeat). Like a parrot. Including the following.

Biggest two safety problems I see are:

1) people getting excited or stupid and waiving/sweeping around their shotguns. When I see them, I tell them to cease fire, unload their gun and put it in the rack. I then politely but firmly explain how they are being unsafe and warn them next time they are going home. In 2012, I sent 12 people home early because of this. Not too many given how many we run through the range.

2) people busting a clay and then using only their trigger hand letting the shotgun drop down pointing at the ground. Lots of warnings. I witnessed 4 AD's because of this. All within a foot of their foot. Those four went home immediately. We permit home defense shotguns which seem to exacerbate this problem.

I've had other situations where people where I sent people home early. Walking around with loaded guns, cheating on range fees, under the influence...

For the most part people abide by the rules and for the most part appreciate that the rules are designed to keep them safe.

In the whole of last year I only raised my voice twice and those were real time serious safety violations.

There is no need in being a hard ass. I've seen Range Officers power tripping and it torques me off. I usually have a Dutch Uncle talk with them.

Texas Damnit
2nd Place Medalist - SE Asia War Games (1971-72)

shadecorp Likes This 
Old 01-02-2013, 01:51 PM   #20
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

this is why a good majority of shotgun clubs are private. seems public ranges see their share of stupid.
but i want ask what your policy is if pointing a gun down isnt encouraged.
especially with riot guns, id rather have a shooter blow his foot off than his head or someone elses.
i think good ole 'open or out' rule is best enforced.
agree?

Retired Naval Aviation