Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > the skeet and trap thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-01-2013, 12:13 AM   #151
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 676 Times on 527 Posts

6.00 is good for you guys...im using up 4.99 per case gun clubs and federals. what ga you going to be using in dec? im bringing poor man 12ga reloads.

Retired Naval Aviation
Former Member U.S. Navy Shooting Team
Contact Man for the FTF Shotgun Shoot
http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f138/4th-ftf-shotgun-shoot-hoot-vanzant-mo-oct-4-5-2014-a-105142/

Last edited by bobski; 12-01-2013 at 12:25 AM.

Old 12-01-2013, 12:44 AM   #152
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 248 Times on 193 Posts
Likes Given: 95

Remington Gun Club #9's are $70 a case here - I've got one case on back order. Right now I'm shooting Rem gun club 8 shot & happy to have it. I only have 5 boxes left and I'm supposed to shoot this Monday.

Will have to wait for Estate 8's to arrive or buy Walmart Dove loads. Reloader's are not willing to share the wealth. Not willing to guess "why?" Had one or two offer to reload for $5.00 a box but so far none of them have come through.

People will always be people, but every now n then, some people will always surprise you.

Old 12-01-2013, 01:03 AM   #153
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Just realized something - I was focusing on equipment - gun fit, n chokes while you were more concentrated on ammo. The reality is all three must work in concert w the shooter to achieve consistent results.

Several people in my club have told me I need to find a load that patterns well w my gun. (just like we do w a .22)

Yet, we can take this to extremes and forget why we started shooting in the first place - to sharpen hunting skills and have fun.

Old 12-01-2013, 02:50 AM   #154

Liked 322 Times on 178 Posts

I picked up a CZ Ringneck 20 gauge side-by-side on Friday. Its got a color case hardened receiver, 28-inch barrels, and screw-in chokes (skeet/skeet). Should be a fun gun to shoot on a random Sunday when I feel like something different than my primary gun, the FABARM over/under.

Old 12-01-2013, 02:16 PM   #155

youd be surprised how some guns dont like some ammo.

thus the old saying...if its not broken, dont fix it.

its why my sxm-1 is only used for doubles and #9 1 1/8oz loads.

its why i use pumps with reloads mostly in the winter. an occasional piffer wont effect cycling. and winter is fun shooting only.

just like people dress for success in the big world, when you shoot, you decide what youll wear before you even leave the home.
if i know im going to be teaching, i cant miss, so i 'dress for success' and wear my model 50 with factory 1oz loads.
when im cold, shivering, shooting with buddies, out come the reloads. if i am testing new loads, i shoot somewhere where no one knows me. so if they piff, or i shoot behind because the wad and powder combo is off, odds are i wont ever see them again so it doesnt embarrass me!

when i travel, if i pull in a range and all i see are k80's, i pull out my o&u. if its a 4 gun event, out comes the 4 bbl set with factory loads. if i see mossy 500's, out comes the model 11 remington. i blend in. and if im around trap shooters, i take out the rocks and a big stick....lol.
and when i get cocky when some guy tries to impress me with his 7 gold inlay perazzi tubed set, i break out the mossberg 183 bolt 410 and go 25 straight.

the trend today is everyone seems to be looking for that do all gun. it seems to be the new generations love for transformers. everything has to do a million things. i call them 'lego shooters.'
im more like a woman with a shoe closet. i pick the shoe for the event and dont mix them up.

once my gun, ammo, and choke is merged, it stays together. and if i change events, i change the entire combination.

i only venture out with other combos to play, when certain products are no longer available and to practice with other ammo brands so if i go somewhere and its all they have. this way i will know the outcome of the switch in advance. many pros will tell you they can feel the difference in ammos. i agree.

but this wild and crazy 20 chokes in the shooting case isnt for me. its too easy to forget whats in your gun. if i was to tell you how many guys ive known that lost matches because they walked out to the shoot off with the wrong chokes in the gun, youd all take my heed.

the worst tool in a gun case is a alen wrench. i lost count of poor souls ive known endlessly trapped in adjusting thier combs, trigger pulls, and lops.

my old fixed choke guns still have their place in todays world. they were made for one ammo, one shooter, one choke, one lop and comb. winchester always designed their guns around their ammo. so did remington.
granted things have changed, but history is history.

sometimes too many choices just make the sport too complicated. i prefer to keep it KISS.
food for thought.

Retired Naval Aviation
http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f138/4th-ftf-shotgun-shoot-hoot-vanzant-mo-oct-4-5-2014-a-105142/

Last edited by bobski; 12-01-2013 at 03:17 PM.

Old 12-01-2013, 09:37 PM   #156

Liked 322 Times on 178 Posts

I learned a lesson today. I was straight through 6 and thought I was home free for the perfect round. One of my buddies was shooting before me and missed high 7. I let out a laugh. When it was my turn I missed low 7, thereby killing my straight. If you laugh at someone's misfortune of missing the 2nd easiest bird on the field the karma police will humble you by making you miss the easiest bird on the field. Don't laugh when buddies miss easy birds. Truth be told I was so happy to have the straight 'in the bag' that I yelled pull before I was ready and fired to the left of the bird. So stupid. So demoralizing. Ugh! I won't be chuckling anymore, no matter how long I've known the person. There is no wrong time to take your time. Lesson learned.

Old 12-02-2013, 02:59 PM   #157

Liked 188 Times on 131 Posts
Likes Given: 304

Quote:
Originally Posted by indy36 View Post
I learned a lesson today. I was straight through 6 and thought I was home free for the perfect round. One of my buddies was shooting before me and missed high 7. I let out a laugh. When it was my turn I missed low 7, thereby killing my straight. If you laugh at someone's misfortune of missing the 2nd easiest bird on the field the karma police will humble you by making you miss the easiest bird on the field. Don't laugh when buddies miss easy birds. Truth be told I was so happy to have the straight 'in the bag' that I yelled pull before I was ready and fired to the left of the bird. So stupid. So demoralizing. Ugh! I won't be chuckling anymore, no matter how long I've known the person. There is no wrong time to take your time. Lesson learned.
Concentration is key in these games. My coach always tells me "There's no such thing as an 'easy' bird. Give them all the amount of focus you would a 'hard' bird."

Old 12-03-2013, 03:58 PM   #158
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimL2952 View Post
Concentration is key in these games. My coach always tells me "There's no such thing as an 'easy' bird. Give them all the amount of focus you would a 'hard' bird."
I believe you are correct - I too have been given the same advice by very experienced shooters. Didn't "buy into " it the first few times I heard it but I've seen too many perfect scores blown on station 7 to ignore it.

On Monday we shot a round and as we headed in, two shooters stayed on station 5 for some fine tuning. They were both good shooters and so I decided to grab some shells n join in. The damn birds must have dropped into "stealth mode" because we couldn't hit them for love or money.

Same guns, same brand of shells we used successfully during the round but compeletely different outcomes. Our Elder shooter said when your concentration is too low or used up, it is best to just stop shooting.

My old skt cpt believed that was the perfect time to start because you must learn to concentrate harder even when the elements or even your own inclinations are against you.

While there is some merit to my old cpt's advice, there is a point of dimimishing returns and sooner or later you will realize when that point is.

Old 12-03-2013, 05:41 PM   #159

Liked 188 Times on 131 Posts
Likes Given: 304

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonzilla View Post

I believe you are correct - I too have been given the same advice by very experienced shooters. Didn't "buy into " it the first few times I heard it but I've seen too many perfect scores blown on station 7 to ignore it.

On Monday we shot a round and as we headed in, two shooters stayed on station 5 for some fine tuning. They were both good shooters and so I decided to grab some shells n join in. The damn birds must have dropped into "stealth mode" because we couldn't hit them for love or money.

Same guns, same brand of shells we used successfully during the round but compeletely different outcomes. Our Elder shooter said when your concentration is too low or used up, it is best to just stop shooting.

My old skt cpt believed that was the perfect time to start because you must learn to concentrate harder even when the elements or even your own inclinations are against you.

While there is some merit to my old cpt's advice, there is a point of dimimishing returns and sooner or later you will realize when that point is.
That old man is pretty smart. I'm a sporting clays shooter. Send me out in rain, snow, or heat and I can focus real hard for about 1.5 hours....after that I'm spent. Fatigue and headache every time.

Problem is when I go to school shoots I end up shooting clays in the morning and then having skeet or trap later in the day and I can't perform :/

Old 12-03-2013, 08:49 PM   #160

when i shot on the navy team, we all shot 100 birds in all gauges including doubles to warm up.
then we shot as a team. we were graded on how we performed THEN, based on how well we did when we were tired....since thats the condition we'd be in for shoot offs late in the day or late at night. some shootoffs were 1030pm at the world.

Retired Naval Aviation

Last edited by bobski; 12-03-2013 at 10:32 PM.