the skeet and trap thread - Page 15
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > the skeet and trap thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-14-2013, 06:38 PM   #141
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 711 Times on 554 Posts

bottom line, shotguns are NOW expensive.
ever since the europeans took over the market, they are sapping us to support their failed euromarket.
they got the u.s wrapped around its fingers....in the gun AND ammo trade.
so proves my case...americans love shooting so much, they will pay ANY PRICE TO HAVE IT in their culture.
and the gun industry is taking full advantage of it.
once america wakes up and realizes the gun industry is NOT our friends, maybe we the people will get the control of the market back.
thus my aim to slow down buying so much ammo...to force the market down. but no one seems to be as advanced in their thinking as i am.
fellow micro-macro economics majors would understand.

Retired Naval Aviation
Former Member U.S. Navy Shooting Team
Contact Man for the FTF Shotgun Shoot
http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f138/4th-ftf-shotgun-shoot-hoot-vanzant-mo-oct-4-5-2014-a-105142/

Old 11-18-2013, 02:50 PM   #142

Liked 188 Times on 131 Posts
Likes Given: 304

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobski View Post
bottom line, shotguns are NOW expensive.
ever since the europeans took over the market, they are sapping us to support their failed euromarket.
they got the u.s wrapped around its fingers....in the gun AND ammo trade.
so proves my case...americans love shooting so much, they will pay ANY PRICE TO HAVE IT in their culture.
and the gun industry is taking full advantage of it.
once america wakes up and realizes the gun industry is NOT our friends, maybe we the people will get the control of the market back.
thus my aim to slow down buying so much ammo...to force the market down. but no one seems to be as advanced in their thinking as i am.
fellow micro-macro economics majors would understand.
I completely agree....most of the time the majority of the price you pay only buys you the name printed on whatever you buy.

However, when I outgrew my 425 I was going to buy the (at the time) new 625. Instead, my coach talked me into getting a Zoli Kronos (Basically a Perazzi MX-8 clone).

I couldn't have been happier. The fit out of the box was almost perfect, it has a nice set of wood on it, and I haven't had a single misfire in 3 years, ~15,000 rounds. Now, I paid $3,500 for that gun, about the price that the 625 would have been, and I am happy.

Old 11-18-2013, 03:41 PM   #143

Liked 573 Times on 324 Posts
Likes Given: 722

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRK97 View Post
I got my first 75 straight last weekend!!! Missed the 87th and then 88th shot, wish I could go back in time
The shame of the sport. Once a miss, the clock resets to 0.

And sometimes before you even pull the trigger - you just know you missed - but can't stop once in motion.

~ Holsters ~

Never forget these important words:
We the People...
America, take back your country!

Old 11-18-2013, 06:48 PM   #144
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 250 Times on 195 Posts
Likes Given: 105

Quote:
Originally Posted by wittmeba View Post
The shame of the sport. Once a miss, the clock resets to 0.

And sometimes before you even pull the trigger - you just know you missed - but can't stop once in motion.
Wow - Its like you were in my head ! I have experienced the same thing but had a hard time admitting it, even to myself.

When I started shooting skeet, I thought all you needed was the correct sight picture and shooting method for each station. (Swing through, pull away or sustained lead) Some shooters use a combination of techniques. But now it's like Golf - get one thing corrected and another springs up.

I have never put two perfect rounds together. I am debating Bobski's advice whether to stick w my existing gas gun or to upgrade w something that fits me better.

Yep, I've got a bad case of O/U envy...

Old 11-18-2013, 06:57 PM   #145

Liked 573 Times on 324 Posts
Likes Given: 722

I'd still love to own a Winchester Model 101 O/U Skeet from the 1967's. They were one of the first to offer the wider fore-grip and it felt so very natural. Could have had one for $399.00 in its day.

~ Holsters ~

Never forget these important words:
We the People...
America, take back your country!

Old 11-20-2013, 04:45 PM   #146

Liked 188 Times on 131 Posts
Likes Given: 304

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonzilla View Post
Wow - Its like you were in my head ! I have experienced the same thing but had a hard time admitting it, even to myself.

When I started shooting skeet, I thought all you needed was the correct sight picture and shooting method for each station. (Swing through, pull away or sustained lead) Some shooters use a combination of techniques. But now it's like Golf - get one thing corrected and another springs up.

I have never put two perfect rounds together. I am debating Bobski's advice whether to stick w my existing gas gun or to upgrade w something that fits me better.

Yep, I've got a bad case of O/U envy...
I'd say stick with your gas gun and just practice fundamentals.

The key is doing the same thing every time. Get up to the pad and 1: set your feet. 2: find your break point and hold point. 3: set your hands and mount your gun. 4: inhale deeply through the nose, visualize your sight picture and the clay breaking. 5: Exhale slowly through your mouth, call pull.

Just don't call your target before you're ready.

Old 11-20-2013, 05:21 PM   #147
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimL2952 View Post
I'd say stick with your gas gun and just practice fundamentals.

The key is doing the same thing every time. Get up to the pad and 1: set your feet. 2: find your break point and hold point. 3: set your hands and mount your gun. 4: inhale deeply through the nose, visualize your sight picture and the clay breaking. 5: Exhale slowly through your mouth, call pull.

Just don't call your target before you're ready.
One of the better shooters on my team said I need to develop a pre-shot routine as well. Baretta's poster child, our current 2 time Gold Medal Winner, Hancock - advises, as well as, demos his pre shot routine on Youtube. Yours is actually more detailed than his. Cudos.

One of my poblems is I like to load 2 and just shoot. Sometimes I shoot best when I get out of my own way and shoot instinctively. I really admire an older shooter I call "Iron Man." He is 78 yrs old and as far as I can tell recoil proof. He loads two at a time and rarely misses. He breaks one bird and continues to follow through until he gets to his next hold point where he stops; hesitates briefly, then calls & crushes the next tgt. It's quite inspirational.

Most of the better shooter always load one at a time.

Last edited by Gonzilla; 11-20-2013 at 05:25 PM.

Old 11-20-2013, 09:36 PM   #148

its not hard. you just have to ask yourself before you go on the range if you really want to go 25 straight. then you do it.

if you miss, so what...keep playing.
do it next game.

i load 2. the bolt locking back increases recoil.
i also load 2 on an o&u.
it makes sure the same bbl hits the incomer or outgoer on doubles.

Retired Naval Aviation
http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f138/4th-ftf-shotgun-shoot-hoot-vanzant-mo-oct-4-5-2014-a-105142/

Last edited by bobski; 11-20-2013 at 09:38 PM.

Old 11-29-2013, 01:09 PM   #149

22 deg here. im heading out to see how cold effects my reloads. pifff, poooop, etc..
always makes for a fun day! i got a date with gonzilla in ct in dec and want to make sure i have an excuse for missing. lol.

Retired Naval Aviation

Last edited by bobski; 11-29-2013 at 01:15 PM.

Old 11-30-2013, 11:38 PM   #150
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

While I appreciate the effort of creating super-special, "Mouse Fart" loads, Cabelas is having a sale right now and as long as you e-mail them the correct paperwork, they will deliver a case or two right to your door in CT. (Free Delivery - no ****!)

I picked up a few cases of Estate 9 shot 20 ga and one Estate 12 ga 8 shot. $60 a case is hard to beat but fear not, I've been shooting long enough to have a "Big Book of Excuses" Volume 7 which is large enough to cover both of us -

Trying to send my 20 ga out to have adj butt plate installed. Probably won't be back in time for us to shoot w it. Still have my 391 which is still going strong. (After Spring Change)

Can you believe Auburn !!!! The Crimson Tide is having a bad day.