the skeet and trap thread - Page 14
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion >

the skeet and trap thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-12-2013, 10:06 PM   #131
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 994 Times on 772 Posts

if you buy a k80, i can assure you youll be paying a zillion dollars for the name.
i cant begin to list all the pros i beat with a 3200.
its all about if it fits, wear it.

one thing you can take to the bank...the game hasnt changed. its still 8 stations with 25 birds or 5 stations with 25 birds. but guns have. and that is where scores differ.
i venture to say if 99% of all new shooters stuck with the first gun that fit and broke straights....theyd be all world champs. but that lure of a shiny gun and what joe is shooting has steered a lot of talent into the wall.
been there done that.
now i preech against it...and most likely will until i die.
was a time when shooters got new guns when the old ones wore out...literaly.
not any more.
but i am still trying to kill my M12! it just wont die.
http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f138/6th-ftf-shotgun-shoot-hoot-vanzant-mo-oct-9-10-2015-a-114464/

Old 11-13-2013, 12:16 AM   #132
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 342 Times on 264 Posts
Likes Given: 160

I suppose Im just lucky, I can't recall a single shooter who bought a fancy gun as a status symbol. My skt Cpt this summer is the current state 20 guage champ. He owns quite a variety of shotguns but he competes w 682 O/U.

Perhaps it is inevitable, beginners will always look at the better shooters and try to emmulate them by buying similar equipment hoping for the same results. A fellow FTF member, Nitestalker, once said, "People always try but you can't buy experience."

The game my not have changed but the equipment is certainly better. A skeet writer said he wondered what the records would look like if the great shots of yesterday had access to the equipment we have today.

Good shooters can hit w anything - People are impressed when you powder birds shot after shot and NOT by the gun.

Possible Execption - Exhibition Grade Wood does seem to draw a crowd. Not sure if this is due to the quality of the wood or simply because its is so rare to see these days.

Old 11-13-2013, 12:35 AM   #133

bling and well built are two different things.
i would always send a shooter towards well built, but bling and a million options... i steer them away from.
actually, equpiment hasnt changed. rather, gun makers put everything custom guns had, into their production lines. and the only way they could do it was to make adjustomatic everything guns.
cheap guns are still cheap guns.
chokes are chokes. (math is math)
humans are humans.
if there was anything that has improved over time, it would be ammo.
http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f138/6th-ftf-shotgun-shoot-hoot-vanzant-mo-oct-9-10-2015-a-114464/

Old 11-13-2013, 01:13 AM   #134

Liked 448 Times on 263 Posts

I get what you are saying. It's not falling on deaf ears. It's like this, I could shoot IDPA with a Hi-Point but I don't want to. I use a Glock 34. It's a good tool for the task. Same with skeet. I broke birds with the Stoeger but I like the Fabarm better. Is anything more costly than my Fabarm really any better, no, I get that, but the Fabarm is better than my very first O/U, the Stoeger, by a long shot. I'll be shooting this gun for a long long time to come so time will tell as to when I start putting my straights back-to-back with enough consistency to be 'good'. I'm on the way though.

Old 11-13-2013, 01:14 AM   #135
F4U
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1440 Times on 852 Posts
Likes Given: 1

A couple of buddies and I used to go to the "Grand American" trap shoot at Vandalia Ohio about every other year. We would have went every year but it was about a 5 hour drive and you couldn't get a hotel room within 100 miles of the place.

Perrazzi had a building on the grounds that they only used during the shoot, they brought their craftsman over from Italy and built custom hand made shotguns right there on the spot. Their shotguns ranged from about $1000 to $50,000 depending on model and the amount of engraving you wanted.

My Ruger Red Label that I paid $700 for shot as good as I could, so did my Remington 870 wingmaster that I paid $250 for in 1982, and my left handed Remington 1100 that I bought at a gun show around 2003 or 2004.

I bought this one because I got tired of my father in law and brother in law hitting me with empty shells from their 1100s. MY fil had 40 acres and his own thrower and we had some great shoots with his customers and suppliers of his construction business before his daughter decided she "wanted to be on her own" and she destroyed my and my daughters lives.

Old 11-13-2013, 03:46 AM   #136
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

I only have one more point to share. $$$ - While an O/U or to be more specific, a skeet/sporting clays O/U does cost allot more than a gas gun or pump - it does hold its value a whole lot better. In fact, it may even appreciate in value.

I had a chance way back around 03-4 to buy a special Browning Sporting O/U that came w everything except the tube set. It was $3K at the time when a Baretta 682 n avg Citori for skeet was approx $2.5K. I got cheap n went w Baretta 391 Parallel Tgt ie gas gun. If I had bought the Browning, I'd probably be able to sell it for a hell of a lot more than $3K while my gas gun would have lost money except for these past few years where prices have gone nutz.

Yet, everyone has a fishing story about the one that got away. Some of us are old enough or unlucky enough to have more than one.
TimL2952 Likes This 
Old 11-13-2013, 11:57 PM   #137

Liked 194 Times on 136 Posts
Likes Given: 316

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonzilla View Post
I only have one more point to share. $$$ - While an O/U or to be more specific, a skeet/sporting clays O/U does cost allot more than a gas gun or pump - it does hold its value a whole lot better. In fact, it may even appreciate in value.

I had a chance way back around 03-4 to buy a special Browning Sporting O/U that came w everything except the tube set. It was $3K at the time when a Baretta 682 n avg Citori for skeet was approx $2.5K. I got cheap n went w Baretta 391 Parallel Tgt ie gas gun. If I had bought the Browning, I'd probably be able to sell it for a hell of a lot more than $3K while my gas gun would have lost money except for these past few years where prices have gone nutz.

Yet, everyone has a fishing story about the one that got away. Some of us are old enough or unlucky enough to have more than one.
My dad always taught me that if you're ever going to buy anything that you're gonna use a lot and you need it to work...Go ahead and throw some money at it and get a quality item. No use buying the same thing a second time after the first one broke. Buy once, buy right.

Old 11-14-2013, 02:22 AM   #138

too many mfg'ers claim to have a good product and raise the price to make it appealing to the people you mentioned.

on the other hand....well built guns will rope you in with quality...and slowly raise the price knowing youll pay it and not flinch, just to have the quality product, i/e: k guns, porshe, rolex, etc...
better yet...harley.
harley continues to rope people in with air cooled engines, when science and fact shows water cooled engines are much better. yet, harley has such a strong ad campaign, its hard to break peoples false ideals of a quality bike. and too the vast majority of those owners are bike ignorant who wouldnt know the difference between a panhead or a knuklehead.

much like k and p guns. and when that happens, they can make suttle changes - not nessesarily always for better...because they got their loyal fan base to support it blindly....no matter what they do, as long as it has that name on it.

on the cheaper side, what use to be 400.00 guns are now going for over 1000 to 1500, and people are buying them, because afterall...it must be good...it cost 1500.00!
just look at new gas guns today. 1800? oh really?! i rest my case.

Last edited by bobski; 11-14-2013 at 02:30 AM.

Old 11-14-2013, 03:12 AM   #139
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

I share your horror at the prices I see today. However, the $1,800 top of the line Baretta's do help raise the price of my humble $600 - 391. Yet, when you add up the modifications like adj comb, better recoil pad, lengthened forcing cone, Rhino choke, porting etc - I've got over $1K in the gun.

Not sure I'd get the porting done again - just makes it harder to clean and I'm really not sure how much it helps keep the barrel down. I can only say it doesn't live up to the hype but I do admit it helps. Wish I could shoot identical guns side by side to tell how much and see if it was worth the $.

Edit: The last time I checked prices was several years ago and a 28 ga Remington 1100 Sporting was about $800. The gas system on the Remington is not as good as the Baretta. A one piece SS piston is more durable than the 3 piece n rubber O ring I have on my 11-87.

Last edited by Gonzilla; 11-14-2013 at 03:49 AM.

Old 11-14-2013, 04:24 AM   #140

Liked 448 Times on 263 Posts

The Beretta 682 Gold Sporting I bought for $790 was made in 1998. The barrels were scratched, the wood was dinged up, and the conical locking lugs were just about worn out. I traded it in and was given $1200 for it. It's now for sale in that shop for $1600...and it was old and beat up. Blows my mind. A new Beretta 686 is $1999. A new Citori 725 Sporting is $2700 to $3300, sometimes more. The Fabarm Axis is a tick less than $3000. On the flip side, an old Remington 1100 Skeet 12 gauge is going from $600 to $1000 on Gunbroker.. Bottom line, shotguns are expensive.

Last edited by indy36; 11-14-2013 at 04:27 AM.