Skeet and trap - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > Skeet and trap

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-28-2012, 05:58 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Take a look at the Mossberg Silver Reserve combo. It comes with a 12 ga & 20 ga set of barrels for about $700.

Old 04-01-2012, 06:41 PM   #22

Liked 2391 Times on 1488 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Going to be introducing my wife to shooting in the next few days. She is a very petite lady, her first shooting experience will be with a .22 rifle. Having said this she wants to learn to shoot trap/skeet. I believe the only comfortable gauge for her would be .410. Don't know without a doubt yet of that, yet fairly certain. Has anyone ever used this gauge for it? I have always used a 12 gauge, while some friends had shot 20s. Man behind the counter of the gunstore where said firearms will be purchased, claimed he knew a lot of people who did, and were successful in doing so. If this is not the case, I will work her up for a while with the .410 recoil, then introduce her slowly to the 20 gauge with recoil pads. I have my eye on a Stoger Condor youth model O/U for her. Any thoughts, or experience would be appreciated...

Old 04-01-2012, 07:07 PM   #23

Liked 69 Times on 37 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kytowboater View Post
Going to be introducing my wife to shooting in the next few days. She is a very petite lady, her first shooting experience will be with a .22 rifle. Having said this she wants to learn to shoot trap/skeet. I believe the only comfortable gauge for her would be .410. Don't know without a doubt yet of that, yet fairly certain. Has anyone ever used this gauge for it? I have always used a 12 gauge, while some friends had shot 20s. Man behind the counter of the gunstore where said firearms will be purchased, claimed he knew a lot of people who did, and were successful in doing so. If this is not the case, I will work her up for a while with the .410 recoil, then introduce her slowly to the 20 gauge with recoil pads. I have my eye on a Stoger Condor youth model O/U for her. Any thoughts, or experience would be appreciated...
Skeet and Trap are not anything close to compare to each other!

Although there's some disadvantage - Skeet can be done with a 410.
Trap isn't a 410 sport!

However , with this in mind, you could teach her to shoot skeet with a 410 and once you think she' ready to move up in gauge - Introduce her to trap and she'll figure this out on her own! LOL

Old 04-01-2012, 09:01 PM   #24

Liked 16 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 3

A number of quality shotguns would fit your bill. I have a Browning O/U 12 ga. Citori with the invector system choke tubes I like. Changing choke tubes between skeet and trap is easy and the gun swings well. I have the basic field grade model I bought new for about $1,200.00, so I assume a good used one would cost under your target price. Good luck.

Old 04-01-2012, 10:23 PM   #25
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 283 Times on 218 Posts
Likes Given: 127

If you like your wife DO NOT buy her a 410 for skeet or trap. Only very experienced skeet shooters or registered competitiors use their 410s & generally in tube sets for O/U. Never seen anyone try 410 for trap but if your very quick or just very lucky, I suppose it's possible.

The best kept secret is the 28 ga. - in a Rem. 1100 sporting Ed. there is almost no recoil and it is devastating. Only problem is cost of ammo. (same as 410) Next step up is 20 ga & it can throw a 1 oz load just like a 12 ga w less recoil and in a lighter, handier platform. In a gas gun, most women do not have a problem w the 20 but it is no where near as light as a 28 ga.

Competition guns are specialized for their particular discipline. They outperform field grade models and are built to take the pounding of competition. Cheaper o/u or s/s simply won't take the punishment. A hunting gun might see a case a year while a competitor will eat that up in a week.

Skeet is hard enough w/o making it harder by having to pump. Gas guns & heavy o/u w tube sets seem to be the most popular. An adj. comb is a real plus to help w gun fit. Most field guns can NOT be fitted w one due to stock dimensions. (gas guns)

Go to your local club and watch a few matches and politely ask questions. Most shooters are excellent ambassadors for their sport and will let you try their guns so you can develope your own opinions. Remington has great primers that explain each station & the reccomended lead.

Last edited by Gonzilla; 04-01-2012 at 10:30 PM.

Old 04-01-2012, 10:26 PM   #26

Liked 2391 Times on 1488 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Thanks for the insight. I talked to her about what was said. She wants to just shoot for a while then get into that. She just picked out a Rossi .22/410 she said she wanted that one.....it's pink.....by hey I'm happy she wants to shoot. Now I have a pink gun in my safe lol.

Oh dern....

Revelation 19:11

And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.

Old 04-02-2012, 12:11 AM   #27

Default choke tubes

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonydewar View Post
what i understand the 725 uses a double seal choke with ring around the bottem and thay only come with 5 tubes i would want an extra ic and a lm but there not selling them yet.as to buying it a shop down here had 725 sporting for 2700 but thay insulted me on a trade in(beretta 687L) give it some time this may drop the prices on the 625s. and the gun felt sweet in the shop

I guarantee you that Jess Briley in Texas can make any choke tube you want to fit any gun you have, though they may be a bit pricey.
cottontop

Old 04-02-2012, 07:27 PM   #28

Liked 46 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 246

I too would recommend looking at Stoeger.

Woe to those who make unjust laws and to those who issue oppressive decrees. -Isaiah 10:1

Blaming guns for death is like blaming forks for obesity

Old 04-02-2012, 07:32 PM   #29

Liked 107 Times on 86 Posts

For the money the STOEGER is hard to beat

Old 04-04-2012, 03:53 PM   #30

Liked 157 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 119

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virginian View Post
People are always asking about a gun for skeet and trap, but those two games are about as different as you can get in my opinion. You can use a field/skeet/sporting clays configured gun for trap a lot easier than you can use a trap gun for anything else. I know someone is going to say they use their trap gun for everything just fine, but the fact remains that trap guns are built to shoot high because all trap targets are rising, and that makes it more difficult, especially for a beginning shooter, to use it for other things. Get a field configured gun and you will not be in bad shape for anything. Until quite recently the field and skeet guns were configured the same, but of late they have gone to slightly longer stocks on target models because almost all target games are shot with the gun pre-mounted in the U.S.
Yes, you can use a pump, but I find it more difficult because i know I am going to have to pump it. In the field I don't think about it, but on the line I do. Yes, it's all in your head, but 99% of all shooting IS in your head.
I would look for a good name brand USED gas semi auto in a field configuration like a Remington or a Beretta. After you shoot for a while, you will almost assuredly form some of your own opinions as to what you prefer. If you decide you want to change, you won't lose a dime if you take reasonable care of the gun(s), and in the meantime you won't be handicapped at all. You can buy a $10,000 Krieghoff right out of the gate and it will not make you a better shooter. If you learn to shoot, and learn what you like to shoot, that will make you a better shooter in the long run. I have been at this for a looooong time, and I still prefer semi autos or a nice side by side. I cannot abide an Over and Under in anything bigger than a 28 gauge. Everyone is different and there is no right or wrong. Having a nice gun with some bling on it won't impress anyone if you can't hit with it.
Good luck.

Virginian is right on with his post. There are major differences between the two type of shotguns used for Trap and Skeet. As Virginian mentioned, Trap shotguns are designed to pattern high. The reason for this is because in Trap the targets are shot on the rise. By having the gun set up to pattern high, it gives a "built in" vertical lead necessary to hit the ascending target. If a Trap shooter waited until the target was at the apogee of it's flight, it would be too far out of range, (40 to 45 yards), to allow for consistent hits. A Trap gun allows you to stack the beads one on top of the other, and hold just under the target, firing as it ascends.

If you shoot Trap with a field gun that patterns at point of aim, you have to cover the target to acquire the necessary vertical lead. Once you do that, you have no idea where the target is. This will cause a lot of dropped targets. This effect becomes even greater when you start shooting at handicap yardages, (17 to 27 yard line). Also, Trap guns are often equipped with very high vented rib barrels to further enhance this feature depending on the shooter, and what his handicap yardage is, along with his shooting style. It is not uncommon for AA Tournament ATA Trap Shooters to run 100 straight from the 27 yard line to win top tournaments. This would be all but impossible to achieve with a field gun.

Skeet guns are almost the exact opposite. They shoot point of aim, and have shorter barrels that are choked very loosely compared to the full chokes used by Trap shooters. The general consensus is Trap is easier to learn, but much tougher to master. The reason for this is in Trap you have no idea where the bird is going to go when you call for it. In Skeet you know exactly where the bird is coming from, and where it is going to go. Once you have figured out the established leads your pretty much good to go.

Skeet is always shot from the same distance, and from the same positions. The degree of difficulty is increased by shooting a smaller gauge shotgun. In Trap it is increased by increasing the distance handicap targets are shot from. A guy running 25 straight in Skeet with a .410 is the talent equivalent of a Trap Shooter running 25 straight from the 27 yard line. Either is no easy task, and takes years to achieve, and thousands of rounds.

Trying to shoot Skeet with a Trap gun, or visa verse is like trying to deep sea fish with a Fly Rod. Fishing rods are the same as much as shotguns in that regard.