Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > Skeet and trap

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-18-2012, 02:53 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 20 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 72

imho stoger is crap it your gonna shoot clay games . been there done that.look at browning berreta ruger used guns

Old 03-18-2012, 04:25 AM   #12

Liked 188 Times on 131 Posts
Likes Given: 304

Been shooting Browning for the past 9 years. Just got a fancy new Zoli....Get a good, used Browning 425,525...can't go wrong!

Old 03-18-2012, 06:41 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by LUBrowningBoy
Been shooting Browning for the past 9 years. Just got a fancy new Zoli....Get a good, used Browning 425,525...can't go wrong!

Browning maxus with some engraving for 1200 bucks believed to have quality , looks , value and performance specially it comes with all necessary chokes to be a multipurpose shotgun.

A lot of stuff in the market even name brands.
I call ****GUN.

Old 03-18-2012, 04:50 PM   #14

Liked 128 Times on 98 Posts

People are always asking about a gun for skeet and trap, but those two games are about as different as you can get in my opinion. You can use a field/skeet/sporting clays configured gun for trap a lot easier than you can use a trap gun for anything else. I know someone is going to say they use their trap gun for everything just fine, but the fact remains that trap guns are built to shoot high because all trap targets are rising, and that makes it more difficult, especially for a beginning shooter, to use it for other things. Get a field configured gun and you will not be in bad shape for anything. Until quite recently the field and skeet guns were configured the same, but of late they have gone to slightly longer stocks on target models because almost all target games are shot with the gun pre-mounted in the U.S.
Yes, you can use a pump, but I find it more difficult because i know I am going to have to pump it. In the field I don't think about it, but on the line I do. Yes, it's all in your head, but 99% of all shooting IS in your head.
I would look for a good name brand USED gas semi auto in a field configuration like a Remington or a Beretta. After you shoot for a while, you will almost assuredly form some of your own opinions as to what you prefer. If you decide you want to change, you won't lose a dime if you take reasonable care of the gun(s), and in the meantime you won't be handicapped at all. You can buy a $10,000 Krieghoff right out of the gate and it will not make you a better shooter. If you learn to shoot, and learn what you like to shoot, that will make you a better shooter in the long run. I have been at this for a looooong time, and I still prefer semi autos or a nice side by side. I cannot abide an Over and Under in anything bigger than a 28 gauge. Everyone is different and there is no right or wrong. Having a nice gun with some bling on it won't impress anyone if you can't hit with it.
Good luck.

What could have happened... did.

Old 03-19-2012, 12:39 AM   #15

I shoot a sporting gun. Nothing special about it but you can shoot every game just fine if ya know how.

I really DO like the Browning Maxus as an auto loader...but I prefer O/U's

Old 03-19-2012, 12:48 AM   #16

agree. a true trap compition gun is on a total differnt beast LONG barrel high rib fitted to shoot 60 40 high or better .a skeet gun used to be a short barrel open choke but the barrels seem to be gitting longer lately.sporting clays going to 32 in barrels and the big dogs are shooting mod chokes.my self ? cant afford that many special guns a 28 in barrel im choke for trap and ic for skeet and most clays targets. a good ou gun wont let you down if you can stuff the shells in it it should go boom and you only need 2 shots(unless your shooting 3 bird clays) and the same gun works in the field just fine. just dont by on price alone a good used gun may be a much better value than some of the new brands and the crap some of old ones are putting out now

Old 03-19-2012, 12:51 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by LUBrowningBoy View Post
looking at the new 725 had one in my hands but you cant get extra chokes yet

Old 03-19-2012, 02:38 AM   #18

Well, I'm mainly a sporting shooter...you've seen my piece. Zoli Kronos 12ga. 30" barrels and when I hit the fields it's Imp. Cylinder or Light Mod. nothin else....Popped a 75 yard crosser 3/6 with ICs when everyone missed with theyre extra fulls...

and I have not yet been able to check out the 725, heard good things though...Don't the chokes from 325,425,525, and 625 work???? I have a 425 and have used my chokes in ALL of the previous models....

Old 03-19-2012, 03:17 AM   #19

what i understand the 725 uses a double seal choke with ring around the bottem and thay only come with 5 tubes i would want an extra ic and a lm but there not selling them yet.as to buying it a shop down here had 725 sporting for 2700 but thay insulted me on a trade in(beretta 687L) give it some time this may drop the prices on the 625s. and the gun felt sweet in the shop

Old 03-19-2012, 06:40 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virginian
People are always asking about a gun for skeet and trap, but those two games are about as different as you can get in my opinion. You can use a field/skeet/sporting clays configured gun for trap a lot easier than you can use a trap gun for anything else. I know someone is going to say they use their trap gun for everything just fine, but the fact remains that trap guns are built to shoot high because all trap targets are rising, and that makes it more difficult, especially for a beginning shooter, to use it for other things. Get a field configured gun and you will not be in bad shape for anything. Until quite recently the field and skeet guns were configured the same, but of late they have gone to slightly longer stocks on target models because almost all target games are shot with the gun pre-mounted in the U.S.
Yes, you can use a pump, but I find it more difficult because i know I am going to have to pump it. In the field I don't think about it, but on the line I do. Yes, it's all in your head, but 99% of all shooting IS in your head.
I would look for a good name brand USED gas semi auto in a field configuration like a Remington or a Beretta. After you shoot for a while, you will almost assuredly form some of your own opinions as to what you prefer. If you decide you want to change, you won't lose a dime if you take reasonable care of the gun(s), and in the meantime you won't be handicapped at all. You can buy a $10,000 Krieghoff right out of the gate and it will not make you a better shooter. If you learn to shoot, and learn what you like to shoot, that will make you a better shooter in the long run. I have been at this for a looooong time, and I still prefer semi autos or a nice side by side. I cannot abide an Over and Under in anything bigger than a 28 gauge. Everyone is different and there is no right or wrong. Having a nice gun with some bling on it won't impress anyone if you can't hit with it.
Good luck.

Thank you very much for this thorough information.
What I ended by buying is a browning maxus 30" it's a 3inch chamber but not sure about it taking mag loads.
The best part it comes with good sights and a designated skeet choke.
More likely I am shooting trap but will move to skeet soon.