Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > Skeet and trap

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-17-2012, 05:34 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Skeet and trap

I need to get a multipurpose shotgun for trap and skeet with chokes for my older son
Looking for one in the 1000 range hopefully less.
What would be a recommended shotgun with silver finish with a little bit of fancy designs enough for the budget.
Would be great if I may get some ideas from the experts ASAP.

Thank you

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-17-2012, 05:41 AM   #2

Liked 862 Times on 648 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Stoeger and the academy brand of the citori. If you can find one you can citori is great. Personally if you want an o/u or sxs id go stoeger. If pump id go stoeger, mossberg, remington. Any benelli would work great too.

God didnt make all men equal colonel Sam Colt did

Old 03-17-2012, 06:43 AM   #3

Liked 182 Times on 132 Posts
Likes Given: 184

You could by a Rem 870, and have a gun smith do a custom job on it. I know it's not anything like some of the fancier over under but 870 express has changable chokes and what not, and tons of different options for the shooter.

"come on you sons of b***hs! do you want to live forever?" Sergeant Daniel Daly, USMC, Belleau Wood France June 6th 1918

"You can be as mad as a mad dog at the way things went. You could swear, curse the fates, but when it comes to the end, you have to let go" Benjamin Button

BE PREPARED

Old 03-17-2012, 12:42 PM   #4

Check out the DeHaan line of O/U shotguns. They are a great gun for the money. They are located in Lewiston, Idaho, I believe. Just google them.
cottontop

Old 03-17-2012, 12:52 PM   #5

Liked 64 Times on 35 Posts

Default Caution on a Skeet and Trap Gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiliardo123 View Post
I need to get a multipurpose shotgun for trap and skeet with chokes for my older son
Would be great if I may get some ideas from the experts ASAP.

Thank you

wiliardo123

A "multipurpose" shotgun for trap and skeet is an oxymoron!

Because a full competition shotgun for trap and to some degree skeet will have a very high post rib. This high rib is designed to align the gun to shoot high - Like 60 to 80% of the pattern over the POA. Its done this way on competition guns so the shooter can keep the target over the line of sight, i.e. in view, rather than swinging the barrel through the target momentarily blocking out the target.

If your son also plans to hunt with this shotgun – Get one with a low rib.

Old 03-17-2012, 03:12 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclebear
You could by a Rem 870, and have a gun smith do a custom job on it. I know it's not anything like some of the fancier over under but 870 express has changable chokes and what not, and tons of different options for the shooter.

Remington 870 is great gun I own 1 of their short barrels for home defense.

Looked at the browning maxus with good detail on it. Will that one ideal for skeet and trap ?

Old 03-17-2012, 09:09 PM   #7

Thanks all for the insights.

Now I'm locked into a 30 in barrel benelli or browning maxus and winchester sx3 silver all of them are great. But what would be the best

Old 03-17-2012, 10:36 PM   #8

Browning.

cottontop

Old 03-18-2012, 12:13 AM   #9

Im still drooling over the new maxus but you can get a used browning gold series or ruger red label in your price range

Old 03-18-2012, 12:21 AM   #10

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiliardo123 View Post
Remington 870 is great gun I own 1 of their short barrels for home defense.

Looked at the browning maxus with good detail on it. Will that one ideal for skeet and trap ?
The Stoeger line of O/U shotguns deliver a lot of value for the money, both in terms of performance and good looks. For your budget, you can buy their mid line guns rather than the bottom, so you'll get nice wood and a little scroll work.