Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Shotgun Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f26/)
-   -   Skeet and trap (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f26/skeet-trap-60422/)

wiliardo123 03-17-2012 05:34 AM

Skeet and trap

I need to get a multipurpose shotgun for trap and skeet with chokes for my older son
Looking for one in the 1000 range hopefully less.
What would be a recommended shotgun with silver finish with a little bit of fancy designs enough for the budget.
Would be great if I may get some ideas from the experts ASAP.

Thank you

Marlinman 03-17-2012 05:41 AM

Stoeger and the academy brand of the citori. If you can find one you can citori is great. Personally if you want an o/u or sxs id go stoeger. If pump id go stoeger, mossberg, remington. Any benelli would work great too.

God didnt make all men equal colonel Sam Colt did

unclebear 03-17-2012 06:43 AM

You could by a Rem 870, and have a gun smith do a custom job on it. I know it's not anything like some of the fancier over under but 870 express has changable chokes and what not, and tons of different options for the shooter.

cottontop 03-17-2012 12:42 PM

Check out the DeHaan line of O/U shotguns. They are a great gun for the money. They are located in Lewiston, Idaho, I believe. Just google them.
cottontop

RaySendero 03-17-2012 12:52 PM

Caution on a Skeet and Trap Gun

Quote:

Originally Posted by wiliardo123 (Post 742956)
I need to get a multipurpose shotgun for trap and skeet with chokes for my older son
Would be great if I may get some ideas from the experts ASAP.

Thank you

wiliardo123

A "multipurpose" shotgun for trap and skeet is an oxymoron!

Because a full competition shotgun for trap and to some degree skeet will have a very high post rib. This high rib is designed to align the gun to shoot high - Like 60 to 80% of the pattern over the POA. Its done this way on competition guns so the shooter can keep the target over the line of sight, i.e. in view, rather than swinging the barrel through the target momentarily blocking out the target.

If your son also plans to hunt with this shotgun Get one with a low rib.

wiliardo123 03-17-2012 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by unclebear
You could by a Rem 870, and have a gun smith do a custom job on it. I know it's not anything like some of the fancier over under but 870 express has changable chokes and what not, and tons of different options for the shooter.

Remington 870 is great gun I own 1 of their short barrels for home defense.

Looked at the browning maxus with good detail on it. Will that one ideal for skeet and trap ?

wiliardo123 03-17-2012 09:09 PM

Thanks all for the insights.

Now I'm locked into a 30 in barrel benelli or browning maxus and winchester sx3 silver all of them are great. But what would be the best

cottontop 03-17-2012 10:36 PM

Browning.

cottontop

racingfanatic 03-18-2012 12:13 AM

Im still drooling over the new maxus but you can get a used browning gold series or ruger red label in your price range

Jeepergeo 03-18-2012 12:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wiliardo123 (Post 743175)
Remington 870 is great gun I own 1 of their short barrels for home defense.

Looked at the browning maxus with good detail on it. Will that one ideal for skeet and trap ?

The Stoeger line of O/U shotguns deliver a lot of value for the money, both in terms of performance and good looks. For your budget, you can buy their mid line guns rather than the bottom, so you'll get nice wood and a little scroll work.