Skeet/Sporting Clays O/U - Which One - Page 6
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > Skeet/Sporting Clays O/U - Which One

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-19-2013, 08:20 PM   #51
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 715 Times on 558 Posts

most young skeet pro class shooters last 4 years based on nssa figures.

our generation is the only thing that has kept nssa alive, because like you say...we shoot until we are dead.

Retired Naval Aviation
Former Member U.S. Navy Shooting Team
Contact Man for the FTF Shotgun Shoot
http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f138/4th-ftf-shotgun-shoot-hoot-vanzant-mo-oct-4-5-2014-a-105142/

Old 12-19-2013, 09:12 PM   #52
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1684 Times on 1153 Posts
Likes Given: 591

I don't think many people can keep up the rigors of shooting skeet or sporting clays at a high level for more than four years. People move on for various reasons but the biggest reason is there is no money in shooting skeet/sporting clays competitively. A few get lucky and end up on the national team. Even with all the benefits of being on the national team they don't last long.

Most people get tired of the politics and BS associated with belonging to a club. They buy a $35 spring thrower and go to a piece of land someone is trying to fill in to have fun. I can say this much if there were not a lot of perks with belonging to the club I am in I would have dropped out a long time ago.

Nothing in the affairs of men is worthy of great anxiety - Plato

Old 12-19-2013, 10:08 PM   #53

+1 on john_deers comment.
its how i got my range in mo.. got tired of the bs with larger organizations. and when i realized i could have the same perks w/o a middleman....that was the end of my membership card.

Retired Naval Aviation
http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f138/4th-ftf-shotgun-shoot-hoot-vanzant-mo-oct-4-5-2014-a-105142/

Old 12-19-2013, 10:37 PM   #54
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 250 Times on 195 Posts
Likes Given: 105

Just found out today I've been shooting skeet for 10 years w a trap gun ! Hell, I just thought it shot kinda high. It was billed as a Sporting Gun - Sporting Clays was just beginning to take off & get popular when I bought it. It was called Parallel Tgt - so you could place your cheek anywhere on stock w/o changing sight picture.

Beretta's tech said he best advice was to buy another stock - estimated cost $200-500. Cheaper just to aim low - Still feel like a Jackass.

Old 12-19-2013, 11:30 PM   #55
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3726 Times on 2283 Posts
Likes Given: 1224

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonzilla View Post
Just found out today I've been shooting skeet for 10 years w a trap gun !
More importantly, do you shoot skeet WELL with that shotgun?

Always have clean socks.

Old 12-19-2013, 11:38 PM   #56

a par-target stock ensures that no matter where you put your face on the stock, you get the same sight picture. that means not just a few shots will be high, theyll all be high.
sorry gonzilla....you should still have hit everything. my 64 model 12 is a par-target stock. no problems at all with it. whats beautiful about it is winchester knew this science way back when.....my gun is a 2 bbl set. that means no matter what game a play, skeet or trap, it patterns the same with the same site picture.

my2bblypigeon12-1-.jpg  

Retired Naval Aviation

Last edited by bobski; 12-19-2013 at 11:44 PM.

Old 12-20-2013, 03:43 AM   #57
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

I thought I was getting a Sporting Clays gun w parallel tgt stock. I got a Trap gun w Parallel Stock. Yes, shouldn't matter where you place your face, puppy is going to shoot high - so you had better be aiming low or you'll shoot over the Tgt. Mine was set up w 45 mm shim at Comb and 40 mm shim at heel - it is out of design specs. Tech's said I might do more harm than good by changing it.

Shooting High - It's one of the primary reasons Trap guns are considered specialized and do not translate well into other shooting sports where the tgts are not rising. Your not utilizing the sweet spot of your pattern unless you are 12-18" under crossing Tgts.

If your gun is on the same plane as tgt, then you are already on the outer fringe of the pattern. The gun was designed to hit a rising tgt and always keep the tgt in sight. It is just not the optimum choice for skeet or sporting clays where the tgts have multiple flight tranjectories.

Last edited by Gonzilla; 12-20-2013 at 03:47 AM.

Old 12-21-2013, 05:23 PM   #58

this is why i laugh at people who buy one gun and try to make it a do-all gun.
skeet guns are skeet guns. trap guns are trap guns. sporting clays guns are sporting clays guns.
or....old timers would tell ya sporting clays guns are nothing but new fangled hunting guns, since the majority of hunting guns pattern 50/50.

Retired Naval Aviation

Old 12-22-2013, 05:02 AM   #59
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobski View Post
this is why i laugh at people who buy one gun and try to make it a do-all gun.
skeet guns are skeet guns. trap guns are trap guns. sporting clays guns are sporting clays guns.
or....old timers would tell ya sporting clays guns are nothing but new fangled hunting guns, since the majority of hunting guns pattern 50/50.
I had a long talk w Beretta Tech about this, in particular why the sporting clays competitors always seem to be shooting Trap or Monte Carlo Style combs when they are shooting a variety of target trajectories. He said the stocks may look that way but the guns are bored or lowered to shoot much closer to POA/POI. Mayb 60/40 or less. Max might be 70/30 but that would be more of a specialized gun for a course w higher % of rising tgts. Why handicap yourself unnecessarily?

Like Bobski, the pros have more than one gun and many of them are specialized to give them the best opportunity to win for different shoots. It's nice to have more than one gun. I have 3 - My 391 in 12, 1187 in 20 and 870 for hunting. All have 28" barrels and green fiber optic sights. Both Remingtons shoot 50/50 POA/POI from premounted & aimed position.

But I still believe the ideal is to have one good gun for skeet/sporting clays. Mine just shoots more like a trap gun. Not ideal but also not the end of the world. I will learn how to use my 1187 when it comes back from the Graco Shop. It shoots exactly POA/POI or 50/50. Wonder how it will handle Estate or STS 9 shot ? (Got 3 Cases of Estate & 1 Case of STS)

Last edited by Gonzilla; 12-22-2013 at 05:12 AM.

Old 12-22-2013, 12:28 PM   #60
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1684 Times on 1153 Posts
Likes Given: 591

I shoot sporting clays with a double barrel because the 28 ga is gentle on my old bones. Most of the time a course is 100 rounds. I would do better with a pump but about half way through the course my left arm would have a bad case of tendinitis. I can't get a doctor to do anything about my arm. The only times it hurts is when I fish with a plastic worm or shoot a pump shotgun a whole lot. Doctors don't see either as a necessary activities. In the meantime I just sit around the house a whole lot more instead of going fishing or shooting.

Nothing in the affairs of men is worthy of great anxiety - Plato