You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion >

Skeet/Sporting Clays O/U - Which One

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-16-2013, 11:54 PM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 560 Times on 321 Posts

I walked out to the skeet club last night with a recently purchased but used CZ Ringneck. Why? Why not? Cost me $799. It's a .20 ga side-by-side with single trigger, 28-inch barrels, and choke tubes in 'skeet'. First time I've shot a SBS and first time shooting that gun. It was 20 degrees outside, no sun, and breezy. I shot 4 rounds. I missed 2 birds each round. I'll take credit for the misses. You can break birds with anything. Get something YOU like, regardless of cost, and enjoy it.

Old 12-17-2013, 12:23 AM   #32
Vendor
FTF_SPONSOR.png

Liked 1178 Times on 921 Posts

people arent willing to take time to become one with the gun. they want results immediately. so they start tinkering. my idea of tinkering is if im shooting 2 feet behind, next shot....dont shoot 2 feet behind. lol.
http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f138/9th-ftf-shotgun-shoot-hoot-vanzant-mo-apr-7-8-9-2017-a-121011/#post1814686

Last edited by bobski; 12-17-2013 at 01:26 AM.
John_Deer Likes This 
Old 12-17-2013, 01:34 AM   #33

Liked 36 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 31

My son can seem to pick up any shotgun and shoot well with it. The 1st time he used my BT-99 he got a 25. He can do as well with his Remington 870 or his Remington 1100. Give him any shotgun and he will do good, wish I could do the same.

Old 12-17-2013, 01:37 AM   #34
Vendor
FTF_SPONSOR.png

you can george.....keep at it!
btw folks, george and his son came to my shoot and hoot in 2012 and his son won the match!
http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f138/9th-ftf-shotgun-shoot-hoot-vanzant-mo-apr-7-8-9-2017-a-121011/#post1814686

Old 12-17-2013, 01:53 AM   #35

Liked 386 Times on 291 Posts
Likes Given: 193

While it is Tradtion to blame something, there are guns that will never shoot to POA/POI. Some of this is the infamous "gun fit" and some just lack of quality control. Even high quality brands can have a lemon or two.

When I had problems w my Beretta making a sustained "Ting" everytime it went bang, their CS said they couldn't deal with the musical part but they could & would move the pattern where-ever I wanted.

Evidently, they are very accomplished at moving patterns, even with Bobski's favorite, screw in chokes. Harmonic resonance is another issue entirely and my choices were extemely limted.

I shoot whatever's on sale and not all loads or chokes pattern the same. Always amazes me how you can change brands or sometimes even lots (same brand) and get varied performance.

I've known a few people who can pick up anythng and hit w it and others who can can only shoot well w one gun. Some can't hit w anything . Best if you know what category you fall into.

Old 12-17-2013, 05:18 PM   #36
Vendor
FTF_SPONSOR.png

ive seen enough lemon guns that i could open a fruit stand. why do you suppose gunbroker is doing so well? its where people unload lemons.

i was hired to train a wealthy d.c. politicians wife up at their club in bull run va. once. they had numerous people tell her she was shooting low. so i show up and first thing i do is pattern the gun with her. an 11-87 trap.
not wanting to learn patterning, she hurried me up past that part of the class and forced me to the range with her. we commenced to waste 10 boxes of shells with no improvement. i tried telling her her gun was non concentric and defective. it was patterning 80% below her bbl! but she insisted the gun was fine because her hubby knows guns and gave it to her as a gift.
hey...it was the easiest 400 bucks i made in my life. some people are just brain dead.

Last edited by bobski; 12-17-2013 at 05:27 PM.

Old 12-17-2013, 06:16 PM   #37

Liked 2225 Times on 1528 Posts
Likes Given: 820

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonzilla View Post
While it is Tradtion to blame something, there are guns that will never shoot to POA/POI. Some of this is the infamous "gun fit" and some just lack of quality control. Even high quality brands can have a lemon or two.

When I had problems w my Beretta making a sustained "Ting" everytime it went bang, their CS said they couldn't deal with the musical part but they could & would move the pattern where-ever I wanted.

Evidently, they are very accomplished at moving patterns, even with Bobski's favorite, screw in chokes. Harmonic resonance is another issue entirely and my choices were extemely limted.

I shoot whatever's on sale and not all loads or chokes pattern the same. Always amazes me how you can change brands or sometimes even lots (same brand) and get varied performance.

I've known a few people who can pick up anythng and hit w it and others who can can only shoot well w one gun. Some can't hit w anything . Best if you know what category you fall into.
Skeet is a mental sport. I know a man who is paralyzed from the waist down that shoots 25 most of the time. There is no magic gun. You just need a gun that is close to fitting you. I prefer to shoot pumps because I learned to shoot with a pump. Pushing the slide forward puts the muzzle back on target for me.

Old 12-17-2013, 08:17 PM   #38

I watched an Irish gent give a fitting demo w adj shotgun stock. This was on YouTube so it shouldn't be too hard to find. Even after a client was handed the shotgun w correct dimensions, he shot high and to the right w both barrels.

The fitter took the gun, made some adjustments (it was an adjust anything stock) and the next two shot were dead on. The gun was shooting where he was looking.

An old man once told me, "Pattern boards don't lie." Damn straight.

I just think it would be easier to hit w a gun that fits than w one that doesn't.

As for scoring well in skeet, I used to think fundamental were essential but I've seen youthful reflexes and eyesight do everything wrong from foot work to hold point and still break birds. So I don't know what to tell ya except after a certain point, it's all mental. (As stated earlier, and if you can two skeet shooters to agree on anything - it must be True.)

All I can tell ya for certain is the older I get, the better I used to be...

Last edited by Gonzilla; 12-17-2013 at 08:41 PM.
Rocky7 Likes This 
Old 12-17-2013, 09:41 PM   #39
Vendor
FTF_SPONSOR.png

define fit?

its only fit if you mount the same every time.

how is it people can shoot from the hip and hit targets?

what im trying to teach you guys is if you know your pattern in relation to your barrel, you can shoot anything.

case in point...if you know a guns pattern goes left, you know lead a bit less and more in the other direction.

fitting guns is like fitting shoes. you can get a perfect shoe for dress, but if you try to run in them, forget it. matching ammo to bbl is key as well, as fit. change ammo...it can change your pattern, and guys with adjusto guns will go back to blaming the gun or their mount. so away they go, playing with mr. adjusto stock. only to be totally confused when they go back to the ammo that worked.

thus the term...chasing dope.

thus my belief, the less choices you give people, the more they will stick to learning the gun and the effects of ammo.

my navy team knew this.....
estates for doubles and shootoffs.
winchester aa's for 12ga
remingtons for 20ga
winchesters for 28ga
remingtons for 410.

we never deviated.
if one guy ran out of ammo, he only took from our inventory. he was not allowed to buy whatever was at the shoot. and if he did, and his score dropped or it cost a trophy....well, you know the rest.

my sxm1 skeet has a m/c stock with adjustable buttplate. it was adjusted in 94. it shoots the same pattern no matter where my face is on the stock. i havent moved it since. i moved on to other runs. i havent shot my sxm1 in years. so i broke it out. it feels like its too high. im so tempted to adjust it down to just shoot it for fun....but its set for doubles and to my 3200 in sub gauges. if i change it, i will ruin my 4 gun program. see my logic? that sxm1 now sits in the cabinet used for only 4 gun events and will not be used for anything else.

when i mount that gun...there is space between my beads. but thats where it needs to be to match my 3200. THIS is why people should own more than one gun. not because it looks cool or 'i like it', or 'its awesome'. you should have guns like a shoe closet. each one has a specific task.

but what do i know.

Last edited by bobski; 12-17-2013 at 09:56 PM.

Old 12-18-2013, 12:15 AM   #40

Wish you would have told me about Win in 12 ga ammo before I ordered two cases of Remington. (Reloaders in my area kinda prefer the Remington STS hulls)

Got the same space between the beads on my skeet gun. Shoots real high but I've learned to shoot low. Having trouble adjusting to new 1187, 20 ga that shoots 50/50.

PS: Trying to shim stock to increase drop in stock which should drop pattern & space between beads. Stock apart as we speak.