Skeet/Sporting Clays O/U - Which One - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion >

Skeet/Sporting Clays O/U - Which One

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-15-2013, 01:30 AM   #21
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 342 Times on 264 Posts
Likes Given: 160

Quote:
Originally Posted by wittmeba View Post
Just found this. Pretty good price. 2" shorter barrels but multiple chokes.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Winchester-Field-Over-Under-Shotgun/1318818.uts
One of the reasons I started this thread was because of Cabelas sale $100 off but I am looking at the Sporting model which has some refinements over the field model. Longer chokes, ported barrels etc.

It looks like a fine gun but I'd like some more advice before I invest. While the gun is $1K cheaper, if you have to modify it too much in order to make it "fit," then you will eat through those cost savings in a hurry. (Worse yet, you might not get that money back in resale value. )

Old 12-15-2013, 01:08 PM   #22

Liked 576 Times on 325 Posts
Likes Given: 722

Personally I never buy anything with the anticipation of resale...not cars, homes, tools, toys, nothing. I don't buy to eat the depreciation then sell to someone to enjoy. I buy for me to enjoy. But I understand what you are saying.

I read the comparison here from Winchester but don't understand all the features but I have always loved the Model 101:
http://www.winchesterguns.com/products/catalog/category.asp?family=020C

~ Holsters ~

Never forget these important words:
We the People...
America, take back your country!

Old 12-15-2013, 03:03 PM   #23

Liked 994 Times on 772 Posts

marketing will always convince you your shoe will never lose value and will fit someone else....but like it was mentioned...i buy my shoes to fit me and could care less about who will wear them next.
if you buy a gun with resale in mind, stick it in the closet and dont shoot it. me, i buy guns to shoot the crap out of them.
how else would guns like a model 12 get a great reputation? certainly not from looking pretty in a box.
http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f138/6th-ftf-shotgun-shoot-hoot-vanzant-mo-oct-9-10-2015-a-114464/
wittmeba Likes This 
Old 12-16-2013, 09:19 PM   #24
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Marketying types are kinda like an Army Recruiter, paid to lie for their company. Their job is to selll you new guns and the best way to sell you a new one is to make you insecure about your old one.

I've been reading a whole lot about gun fit and in specific - Drop at Comb. Some say this is the most improtant measurement since it aligns the eye which is, in essence, our rear sight.

Somone should write a Stickie on what constitutes proper "gun fit." When I asked the Tech at Winchester about the 101 vs 725, he said to buy the one that fit me better. He said wheter your are hunting or after sporting clays, half the battle is "gun fit."

I'm in the usual budget battle and I took my stock apart trying to achieve the proper drop at comb w shims. Now it's a PIA trying to get it all back together.

Old 12-16-2013, 09:51 PM   #25

fitting a gun is a luxury not everyone can afford. thus...90% of guns are made to specs where the majority of the buyers will fit into.
the other 10% is what gunfitters target. but 10% isnt good enough. today...they are trying to convince the other 90% they need it fitted too.
http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f138/6th-ftf-shotgun-shoot-hoot-vanzant-mo-oct-9-10-2015-a-114464/

Old 12-16-2013, 09:55 PM   #26

Liked 2220 Times on 1525 Posts
Likes Given: 820

I would have to shoot a few rounds of skeet with the Winchester to even consider it. Another thing is cabelas only offers it in a 12 ga. The OP mentioned getting long in the tooth. After a couple hundred rounds with a 12 ga I would need medical attention. If you are inclined to reload I would look at a 28 ga browning. If you are not into reloading I would look at a 20 ga.

Porting doesn't do much but put burn marks on the towers. My slug gun is ported. It kicks like a mule. I know that slugs are supposed to kick. I also know that porting doesn't make a noticeable difference. The only thing that makes a noticeable difference is a lighter load.

Old 12-16-2013, 10:47 PM   #27
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Deer View Post
I would have to shoot a few rounds of skeet with the Winchester to even consider it. .
Brother, I like the way you think. I regret to inform you that even if you get all the dimensions right, people still have to shoot a few rounds and tweak things here n there. Why ? I don't have a clue except I've read the same thing too many times to doubt it's veracity. Maybe it's part of the stock fitters union...

Personally, I'd be pissed if I paid good money to get fitted and still couldn't hit a damn thing. Maybe we should start a support group. My shotgun done me wrong...Sounds way too much like a country music song ! But we would be in some mighty good company....

I certainly like the "try" before you "buy" concept.

Old 12-16-2013, 11:34 PM   #28

its never the gun. its the nut behind the bolt.

Old 12-16-2013, 11:40 PM   #29
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3733 Times on 2287 Posts
Likes Given: 1224

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobski View Post
its never the gun. its the nut behind the bolt.
Thank you! Amen.

All this talk of the wrong fit, wrong chokes, wrong this wrong.that, makes me wonder how many people are true marksmen.

And I'm not saying I am a true marksman. I have a lot more to learn and need a lot more practice. You'll also never hear me blaming the equipment when I miss though.

Old 12-16-2013, 11:51 PM   #30

a marksman is someone who can pick up a gun and figure it out...and shoot it.
if you come to my range in april...youll see a video of good ole herb parsons do just that.