Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > Skeet/Sporting Clays O/U - Which One

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-13-2013, 04:36 AM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 247 Times on 192 Posts
Likes Given: 92

Default Skeet/Sporting Clays O/U - Which One

Max Budget $3K - this is mostly theoretical but I've been picking up shells for most of my life and it keeps getting harder each year. I like the way O/U's swing. Yet, when you start reseraching these guns, it is way too easy to get sticker shock.

Right Now - Cabelas has Winchester 101 Sporting for about $1,599 and the Browning 725 Sporting is about $2,500. (Adj comb for about $3K) Baretta has the 692 but that puppy starts at $4K. I did like the ideal of it having the same steel as the DT11 and the longer forcing cones. Baretta 686 is more of a field gun and maybe I could find a used 682 or 687.

Due to budget constraints, I have left off P & K guns and SKB is just hard to find. OK folks, those are the contenders - now feel free to tear them to pieces or add new ones to compare & contrast.

PS: My local gunshop dealer told me no one is shooting Brownings anymore...I got the distinct feeling he would like to sell me a Baretta. He also said most of the differences are within the action where you can not see. I found that comment interesting. It would be an oversimplification to say after - $3K - it's all about the wood.

Just want to make sure I don't bring my new gun to the range, shoot a few rounds and then shout to the heavens, "What the &^%$ am I doing with THIS gun ???"

Last edited by Gonzilla; 12-13-2013 at 04:46 AM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-13-2013, 10:50 PM   #2

Liked 17 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 16

No one is shooting Brownings? Thats funny.

Criminals advocate stronger gun laws to foster a safer work environment. This limits their exposure to risk.

Vikingdad Likes This 
Old 12-14-2013, 02:53 AM   #3

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts

Bull. The Brownings have a strong following among clay shooters. These guys tend to be very conservative. I think it would take a couple of generations to change that.

The different models you named are all top quality and will preform well in the hands of a good shooter. I'd say try each, if you have the chance, to see which one fits and suits you best.

Old 12-14-2013, 04:20 AM   #4
Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 199 Times on 106 Posts
Likes Given: 93

I use a Browning Citori and love it!

Old 12-14-2013, 05:04 AM   #5

Liked 309 Times on 172 Posts

I shoot a Fabarm Axis RS 12 Sporting. Caesar Guerini owns Fabarm. It's a tick below $3,000. I love mine.

Old 12-14-2013, 02:37 PM   #6

Liked 64 Times on 35 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonzilla View Post

Just want to make sure I don't bring my new gun to the range, shoot a few rounds and then shout to the heavens, "What the &^%$ am I doing with THIS gun ???"
Gonzilla, Try to shoot as many as you can BEFORE you make your purchase!

Also, remember its very hard to switch between one shotgun and another. So if you already have some more shotguns, Make sure the fit, drop, and the sight picture especially the rib height are similar or you'll find yourself missing simple shots either in the field or at the range.

Old 12-14-2013, 03:17 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 303 Times on 177 Posts
Likes Given: 58

Just to be contrarian here but I shoot a Stoeger STF 3000 in 20ga and consistantly in the 88-92 range. I can't see where adding a few $1000 to the price of the gun would be worth the money.

Old 12-14-2013, 05:56 PM   #8

Liked 309 Times on 172 Posts

Anyone can be good with any tool if they practice enough. That being said, people judge men by the tool and owning a nice tool feels good. Most of skeet is mental and having a tool you are proud to own is a help mentally. Tools tend to get traded and sold from time to time and expensive tools hold value better. More people want them. I get that golfers of yore were shooting par with a blade on a wood stick but I don't want to use that. I'm committed to skeet so the investment in a top notch tool is something I'm okay with. It's my only hobby. People can get down the drag strip in a rusty Ford Pinto with a big V8 but I'd rather run the same time in a nice shiny more expensive car Im proud to own. I've got no problem with poor shooters shooting K guns. It's their money and if they have it, who cares? Plus, they get to listen to me say, "That's a nice shotgun!" and they feel good owning something a group of like-minded guys appreciate.

Old 12-14-2013, 06:15 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 303 Times on 177 Posts
Likes Given: 58

Quote:
Originally Posted by indy36 View Post
Anyone can be good with any tool if they practice enough. That being said, people judge men by the tool and owning a nice tool feels good. Most of skeet is mental and having a tool you are proud to own is a help mentally. Tools tend to get traded and sold from time to time and expensive tools hold value better. More people want them. I get that golfers of yore were shooting par with a blade on a wood stick but I don't want to use that. I'm committed to skeet so the investment in a top notch tool is something I'm okay with. It's my only hobby. People can get down the drag strip in a rusty Ford Pinto with a big V8 but I'd rather run the same time in a nice shiny more expensive car Im proud to own. I've got no problem with poor shooters shooting K guns. It's their money and if they have it, who cares? Plus, they get to listen to me say, "That's a nice shotgun!" and they feel good owning something a group of like-minded guys appreciate.
I can see your point and I do agree with it just I can't justify those prices for a shotgun. I was raised with a shotgun as a tool for rabbit, squirrel and deer hunting. Sometimes I just take my old Win 1200 16 ga to the trap range. I do just as well with it as most of the guys shooting much more expensive shotguns.

Pistols are another matter when it comes to spending money and being proud to own it. I enjoy my Colt Gold Cup and many of my other very nice pistols. Precision rifles do the same thing for me. I just can't get excited about expensive shotguns in the same way. To each their own and everyone should buy what makes them happy.

Old 12-14-2013, 07:21 PM   #10

Liked 654 Times on 515 Posts

gonzo...how long is your neck? are you one of those stubby necks or a bean sprout?

Retired Naval Aviation
Former Member U.S. Navy Shooting Team
Contact Man for the FTF Shotgun Shoot
http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f138/4th-ftf-shotgun-shoot-hoot-vanzant-mo-oct-4-5-2014-a-105142/