Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Shotgun Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f26/)
-   -   Skeet shotguns (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f26/skeet-shotguns-85936/)

bowhunter17 03-06-2013 10:51 PM

Skeet shotguns
 
hat is the best single barreled shotgun for shooting clay pigeons?

hockeyjr1 03-06-2013 11:07 PM

I saved up for a beretta AL391 urika 2 last year.. Love the thing.. Such a soft hitting semi auto 12ga.. Any Idc what anyone says about cleaning semi autos.. I can clean mine in 30 min chamber and all and ready to shoot again.. Once put 450rds without cleaning and never had a problem with it!! Also I got mine with the kick-off system which does make the recoil even softer..

What's your price range look like?

Virginian 03-07-2013 12:22 AM

Only a repeater, semi auto or pump, because you shoot doubles in Skeet.

hockeyjr1 03-07-2013 12:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Virginian
Only a repeater, semi auto or pump, because you shoot doubles in Skeet.

Y would u want a pump for skeet? Ik you can use it if you really want to but u would be better off with a semi auto or over under..

John_Deer 03-07-2013 12:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hockeyjr1 (Post 1166607)
Y would u want a pump for skeet? Ik you can use it if you really want to but u would be better off with a semi auto or over under..

I don't know anyone that has a gift for shooting skeet that sees a pump as a handicap. Most people hunt with pumps in this area, even though they have nice guns for hunting. Almost every time one goes hunting in this area they end up beating briers and other impenetrable brush down with the butt of their gun. Knowing this is going to happen not many people take their nice shotguns hunting. In turn, everyone shoots a few rounds of skeet or sporting clays with their hunting shotgun. I see a lot of perfect rounds shot with a pump.

For competition skeet shooting the double barrel rules. Having 2 chokes is an advantage that should not be ignored.

shadecorp 03-07-2013 01:43 AM

Shot a Lot of Skeet years ago.
Used side by side, pump, over and under,
And my 1100.
Never had a problem with the 1100.

cottontop 03-07-2013 02:45 AM

skeet
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by John_Deer (Post 1166624)
I don't know anyone that has a gift for shooting skeet that sees a pump as a handicap. Most people hunt with pumps in this area, even though they have nice guns for hunting. Almost every time one goes hunting in this area they end up beating briers and other impenetrable brush down with the butt of their gun. Knowing this is going to happen not many people take their nice shotguns hunting. In turn, everyone shoots a few rounds of skeet or sporting clays with their hunting shotgun. I see a lot of perfect rounds shot with a pump.

For competition skeet shooting the double barrel rules. Having 2 chokes is an advantage that should not be ignored.


Years ago, the Model 12 (Winchester pump) was seen in lots of skeet events. There was even a skeet grade Model 12. Now, however, a pump gun is rarely seen in competative skeet. The long barreled over/under now rules the skeet field. In skeet shooting, two chokes are not an advantage. Even the most competative skeet shooter puts the same wide open skeet choke, around .003 points constriction, in each barrel, and uses high antimony #9 or #8 1/2 shot, depending on the gauge.
ct

bowhunter17 03-08-2013 02:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hockeyjr1
I saved up for a beretta AL391 urika 2 last year.. Love the thing.. Such a soft hitting semi auto 12ga.. Any Idc what anyone says about cleaning semi autos.. I can clean mine in 30 min chamber and all and ready to shoot again.. Once put 450rds without cleaning and never had a problem with it!! Also I got mine with the kick-off system which does make the recoil even softer..

What's your price range look like?

Around $300-$400

mcb 03-08-2013 02:53 AM

I use a Winchester 101 over/under.

Missouribound 03-08-2013 03:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bowhunter17 (Post 1168124)
Around $300-$400

Remington imports a "Spartan" over and under....mine was about $350. SPR310 No frills but a solid gun....it feels just like the Ruger Red Label...but those were out of my price range. I got mine at Gander Mountain.


All times are GMT. The time now is 09:07 PM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.