Show off your tactical shotgun.. - Page 23
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion >

Show off your tactical shotgun..

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-12-2013, 04:53 AM   #221
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 22315 Times on 12477 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterMcCool View Post
My Saiga holds 20+1!
then you're twice off better than me!
MisterMcCool Likes This 
Old 10-12-2013, 05:12 AM   #222
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2452 Times on 1342 Posts
Likes Given: 336

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxe55 View Post
in my home, the light would be more of a hindrance than an asset. ammo wise, if i needed more than the ten rounds i have available, i have much worse concerns than what my shotgun can probably take care of!
Well, I'm not gonna claim to know a mans home better than he does. But warriors have been using light and/or the lack thereof to create a tactical advantage ever since warfare began.

If you are in a lit area and the BG is not, he can see you but you cannot see him. The light evens that out, and when it illuminates the BG, if he is looking at you, it burns up the rhodopsin in his eyes, making it difficult for him to see what you are doing and almost impossible to gain a sight picture.

The only way a light could be a hindrance is if somehow in your home everywhere that you went was moving from the dark and into the light. (Which isn't really practical if you think about it.) Or if the light was so bright that it reflected back off of the walls of your home and burned up your night vision. I believe the recommended brightness for clearing small rooms is 80 lumens. Mine are too dang bright. LoL

I could see the mentality of light being a hindrance if you can see perfectly in your house in the dark due to exterior lighting etc. BUT if the bad guy has a flashlight and the beam hits YOU in the eyes, he'll burn up your night vision. Once your night vision's been flashed in a tactical situation, and all your rhodopsins been burned up you don't have the luxury to wait several minutes for the retinal and opsin in your eyes to recombine back into rhodopsin so you can see again. You have to have immediate light so you can see what's going on.

Last edited by DeltaF; 10-12-2013 at 05:16 AM.
Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 10-12-2013, 05:20 AM   #223

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaF View Post
Well, I'm not gonna claim to know a mans home better than he does. But warriors have been using light and/or the lack thereof to create a tactical advantage ever since warfare began.

If you are in a lit area and the BG is not, he can see you but you cannot see him. The light evens that out, and when it illuminates the BG, if he is looking at you, it burns up the rhodopsin in his eyes, making it difficult for him to see what you are doing and almost impossible to gain a sight picture.

The only way a light could be a hindrance is if somehow in your home everywhere that you went was moving from the dark and into the light. (Which isn't really practical if you think about it.) Or if the light was so bright that it reflected back off of the walls of your home and burned up your night vision. I believe the recommended brightness for small interior rooms is 80 lumens. Mine are too dang bright. LoL

I could see the mentality of light being a hindrance if you can see perfectly in your house in the dark due to exterior lighting etc. BUT if the bad guy has a flashlight and the beam hits YOU in the eyes, he'll burn up your night vision. Once your night vision's been flashed in a tactical situation, and all your rhodopsins been burned up you don't have the luxury to wait several minutes for the retinal and opsin in your eyes to recombine back into rhodopsin so you can see again. You have to have immediate light so you can see what's going on.
i have lots of low-level lighting, (plug mounted nightlite) placed in many places in my home. plus there are the outside dogs, plus the inside dogs, so having ample warning is at my advantage if an intruder were to try to invade my space. if i felt the need for a light on my shotgun, it would have one.

besides, i am more likely to need my shotgun for four legged problems than two legged ones! or snakes!

Old 10-12-2013, 05:57 AM   #224

Liked 24 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimogden1984 View Post

Thank you, not perfect but not bad at all. especially for the age. To be honest I'm not even sure how old it is. I just know it's been around for a long as I can remember. anybody know a web site to look up age by serial number? I've been curious about it for a while
Not fond of the light colored stocks nor too dark as far as the wood furniture. Yours lands right in the middle and adds nice contrast to the gun's metal finish. If you ever change it, keep the forend and stock.

Old 10-12-2013, 06:00 AM   #225
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 333 Times on 182 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by orlando_marquez View Post

Not fond of the light colored stocks nor too dark as far as the wood furniture. Yours lands right in the middle and adds nice contrast to the gun's metal finish. If you ever change it, keep the forend and stock.
thanks. I don't plan on doing anything else to it other than the short barrel. I like it the way it is a well

Old 10-12-2013, 06:02 AM   #226

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts

Sweet shotguns!!!

Old 10-12-2013, 03:25 PM   #227
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxe55
i have lots of low-level lighting, (plug mounted nightlite) placed in many places in my home. plus there are the outside dogs, plus the inside dogs, so having ample warning is at my advantage if an intruder were to try to invade my space.
I could definitely see how most people would think that a tactical light would hurt your early warning advantage by giving away your position.

Most people use a tactical light the way they see them used in the movies. Which is on the whole time, shining around the room like they're looking for their lost puppy of instead of preparing to engage a target.

That's bad. Not how your supposed to use it. It gives away your position and burns up your night vision.

When using a light tactically, you're not supposed turn it on until you actually need it. As soon as you don't need it anymore you should turn it off.

You only NEED the light if you are trying to see something that you can't see without it or if you're engaging a threat with a light/muzzle blasts and you can't see. Then you click it on long enough to clear the threat area or stop the threat and click it right back off as soon as its clear.

Quote:
if i felt the need for a light on my shotgun, it would have one. besides, i am more likely to need my shotgun for four legged problems than two legged ones! or snakes!
Yep! Me too. This is why I have a 200 lumen light on mine instead of an 80 lumen light. At night when I hit the little buggers with the light, they almost always freeze for a second. Which is important if my neighbors house is in my LOS. It gives me a couple of extra seconds to get a better angle before I turn them into Swiss cheese with extra ketchup.

Last edited by DeltaF; 10-12-2013 at 03:27 PM.
Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 10-12-2013, 03:59 PM   #228

Liked 379 Times on 217 Posts
Likes Given: 70

Quote:
you are more than welcome to spend your money any way you so choose to. i am sure those manufacteres love you to death! they get to send their kids to high priced colleges on what people like you spend on all those tactical items that you put on your firearms.

and my comments are strictly my opinion and mine alone. whether you agree or disagree is of no imporrtance to me.
I'm an old school guy too. Anything more than a mag tube extension and a shell holder on the stock and it is too cool for me. But I appreciate all types of shotties, and if I give my opinion, it is only what I think, not what I think you should do.
Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 10-12-2013, 04:09 PM   #229

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTX63 View Post
I'm an old school guy too. Anything more than a mag tube extension and a shell holder on the stock and it is too cool for me. But I appreciate all types of shotties, and if I give my opinion, it is only what I think, not what I think you should do.
exactly! i can remember when if a LEO had a shotgun in his patrol vehicle, it was usually some dinged up pump 12 ga. that rode in the trunk or in a rack on the cage.

if i was going into combat or clearing rooms with a shotgun, i might feel the need for some different options on my shotgun. but for HD/SD usage, let's be real. if a person buys a shotgun for HD/SD purposes, other than the occasional testing of ammo or function, how often will it seriously be used? not very much, and very unlikely for the majority of us in an actual home invasion.

Old 10-12-2013, 04:27 PM   #230
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
exactly! i can remember when if a LEO had a shotgun in his patrol vehicle, it was usually some dinged up pump 12 ga. that rode in the trunk or in a rack on the cage.

if i was going into combat or clearing rooms with a shotgun, i might feel the need for some different options on my shotgun. but for HD/SD usage, let's be real. if a person buys a shotgun for HD/SD purposes, other than the occasional testing of ammo or function, how often will it seriously be used? not very much, and very unlikely for the majority of us in an actual home invasion.

My AR or shottie comes out every time the dogs bark "for real." It's at least once a month. It's usually an animal going after the trash or teasing them. Doesn't matter, whatever it is dies where it stands. Unless it has a collar.

Once it was dad and once it was the brother in law. But they usually call first.

Twice it was a person. They didn't stick around long. One was a Jehovah's Witness, one was a Mormon.

Once it was the sound of human feet running away very fast. Dad was close by and just got off a call. (We were on the phone when it happened.) So he drove by with all his lights on shining his spotlight around in the woods. This was all within 60 seconds of me hearing someone cuss outside and the dogs go nuts.

Whoever it was had to have peed their pants. Scary guy busting out of house with AR+scary guy in unmarked unit with strobes and spotlights must have made quite the adventurous night.

Footprints were adult sized mens tennis shoe. I think it was a bored teen looking to see who had just moved into the house. It had been vacant for at least 5 years when I bought it.

Last edited by DeltaF; 10-12-2013 at 04:40 PM.
Axxe55 Likes This