Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > Should I like a shotgun bead sight?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-10-2012, 03:52 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 190 Times on 129 Posts
Likes Given: 89

Default Should I like a shotgun bead sight?

My Mossberg 590a1 shotgun has a front brass bead sight. I am saving up for a red-dot scope, or I am going to buy another Mossberg with ghost ring sights all because I feel very naked without rifle-type sights on this home-defense firearm. I have never shot trap and this gun has really only one purpose...stopping BG's!

What am I missing? I hate my brass bead sight, but they are so popular on shotguns I must be missing something very important.

Why the brass bead sight?

2 Chron. 7:14 Christians must seek His face

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-10-2012, 04:17 AM   #2

Liked 813 Times on 621 Posts
Likes Given: 125

Why? Because you you don't micromanage a shotgun. Yeah, you aim, but not as finely as on a rifle. In fact, often, you are aiming on where your target will be becasue it is moving, and so you are not aiming at it directly; not ON it. Let's call that pointing. And you don't gently squeeze the trigger like an eyedropper. The front bead sight is the bees knees. It is what you should want, need, and will want.

I have 590 A1 barrels with Ghost Ring (GR) sights, three dot sights, and bead. I ordered the bead the day after I tried the GR's -- great on a Lee-Enfield where u r firing at hundreds of yards, but they suck wind on a shotgun IMO where u r aiming to tens of yards. They look cool and might be useful for AIMING at a horny turkey, even quickly, but not quickly enough otherwise and they block a significant portion of your field of view. They are antithetical to shotgunning if you really want/need a shotgun to begin with. Presuming you appreciate and know how to use them. A shotgun is supposed to be optimal with around 70% of its shot in a 30" circle at the distance your target is -- GR's are not necessary nor conducive.

The three-dot? Why not!? LOL

Who needs to see (around) this?:

mossberg-grs-1.jpg  

Last edited by HockaLouis; 03-10-2012 at 12:18 PM.
Tackleberry1 Likes This 
Old 03-10-2012, 04:51 AM   #3

Liked 2371 Times on 1481 Posts
Likes Given: 51

I love the bead!

Oh dern....

Revelation 19:11

And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.

Old 03-10-2012, 11:40 AM   #4

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Really it's preference. At the farthest you will door 7 to 10 yards depending on house, the bead is just fine. I dislike how low I have to be on my gun to aim. I just got a mount so I can have a red dot.

Remington 870 12 Ga. Supermag
Springfield XDS .45acp

Old 03-10-2012, 01:02 PM   #5

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 4

If you want to really like your front sight on your shotgun get a XS Big Dot and put on it. The day / night feature is awesome and the better visibility makes it so easy to point & shoot. Red dot's and such I dont need on a shotgun at such close ranges.

rem-870-15.jpg  

Old 03-10-2012, 01:14 PM   #6

Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 94

I don't notice the bead when I shoot a shotgun; I keep both eyes open and use the barrel as an aiming devise. It's instinctive, like using a pea shooter.

But if you want a sight; by all means, get what you think will be easier for you.

Old 03-10-2012, 03:09 PM   #7
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2601 Times on 1368 Posts
Likes Given: 202

A bead sight is WAY faster than ghost rings. GR's are ok for 50-100 yd slug shots.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 03-10-2012, 03:27 PM   #8

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHLChris View Post
My Mossberg 590a1 shotgun has a front brass bead sight. I am saving up for a red-dot scope, or I am going to buy another Mossberg with ghost ring sights all because I feel very naked without rifle-type sights on this home-defense firearm. I have never shot trap and this gun has really only one purpose...stopping BG's!

What am I missing? I hate my brass bead sight, but they are so popular on shotguns I must be missing something very important.

Why the brass bead sight?
Very close range, like for home defense, a Red Dot or Ghost Ring seems like overkill. Assuming you will be shooting something like 00 Buckshot, the whole purpose of a shotgun is not needing to be right on...being close and fast will be good enough at short range.

Medium range, like for trap or skeet, you won't have time to acquire the target with a Red Dot or Ghost Ring. This type of shooting is point and follow through type shooting.

Longer range with slugs, then maybe a Red Dot or Ghost Ring would help.

Old 03-10-2012, 03:48 PM   #9

Liked 190 Times on 129 Posts
Likes Given: 89

I knew it had to be ignorance. Thanks so much. I don't have much experience since it is so darn expensive and/or punishing to practice my shotgun.

I have a 20" that is just a hair too long to fit in the safe I have in my bedroom. Thus, I have decided to store it elsewhere in my actual gun safe. Now I need a shorter shotgun (any 18.5" barrel will work) for my bedroom safe. The 20-incher has a bead sight, in which I am thinking I'll add the XS front bead, at least. I might even buy a good red dot with a high-end quick-release picatinny riser. This would become the go-to shotgun when I am defending my homestead against the zombie hordes.

I am going to buy another Mossberg 590a1 (interchangeability of parts is very important to me, as long as I am buying another shotgun) and haven't decided which type of sights. So y'all are suggesting I just stick with a bead sight and maybe upgrade to the XS bead, but leave it at that. I think I am understanding your logic.

When I have practiced at the range, I have found that I shoot high consistently. I wouldn't want to aim at CoM on a bad guy and shoot their face off. That wouldn't look good legally and would sure make a mess.

2 Chron. 7:14 Christians must seek His face

Old 03-10-2012, 03:58 PM   #10

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Chris, one of the things you'll like about the XS Big Dot is that because it sets up a little higher than the factory bead it forces your aim down so that the consistently high shots won't be so much of a problem. You are no different than anyone else. The tendancy to snap shoot high with a shotgun is quite common, especially with a 12 ga.