Should i keep one non lethal round loaded in the magtube? - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > Should i keep one non lethal round loaded in the magtube?

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-24-2013, 01:14 AM   #11
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 332 Times on 181 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxe55 View Post
do you understand why LEO's use less than lethal rounds? several reasons. they have been trained in using les than lethal or alternative methods. they usually many times have either a partner or back-up pretty close by. they have also many times been trained to evaluate a situation and a person's intentions, as to whether they need to use less than lethal or the use of deadly force.

so unless you have been trained in the use of less than lethal methods or have a partner or back-up, leave this to people trained to use it and those who know when to use it.

if you are not mentally prepared to take another person's life when they have broken in, then i do suggest as others that having a gun is a liability, not an asset. IMO, i really don't think you have fully thought through using deadly force. reading some of your posts, i really get the impression that you lack the maturity to have really thought this through. this ain't a game or a movie. you need to really get inside your own mind and do some serious soul searching and thinking and be honest with yourself about using deadly force. you can come on the forum and talk about this and how you think or that your ready. but my impression is, you really haven't or your not being totaly honest with yourself or us.

now my advice is worth exactly whatever value you place upon it an it was free. but not being honest with yourself over as serious an issue as this, could cause you some serious problems in the future. so do with it whatever suits you.
it's harsh but very true. Having guns for recreation is one thing, but having them for defense is quite another. It doesn't sound like you're ready for the responsibility of a gun for sd/hd purposes. That's why I suggested a stun gun in an earlier post. a large dog is also a great option. It would be better to be unarmed than to have a gun if you're gonna freeze in that crucial moment
People Like This 
Old 07-24-2013, 01:24 AM   #12

Liked 781 Times on 452 Posts
Likes Given: 499

No, unless you can answer the following question...why is it that you did not feel threatened enough to use lethal force on your first shot but changed your mind and killed the now incapacitated victim with shot #2?

Rest assured, you will hear that question from the DA while he is prosecuting you for manslaughter...
"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington
People Like This 
Old 07-24-2013, 01:30 AM   #13
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 332 Times on 181 Posts
Likes Given: 3

or if the bean bag does resolve the threat then why did you discharge a firearm if you didn't feel your life was in danger enough to use lethal force?
People Like This 
Old 07-24-2013, 01:53 AM   #14

Liked 229 Times on 142 Posts
Likes Given: 386

OR! What if the beanbag explodes causing you and the BG to fall over laughing resulting in a tense but firm friendship through out the years?
Could you handle that?
People Like This 
Old 07-24-2013, 01:54 AM   #15

Liked 229 Times on 142 Posts
Likes Given: 386

In all seriousness, i do agree with what i have been reading. Be ready to take a life, or put the gun down.
People Like This 
Old 07-24-2013, 01:54 AM   #16
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 10422 Times on 4495 Posts
Likes Given: 1655

#1. I am not the Grammar Police, but really- paragraphs and punctuation. THAT gave me a headache!

#2. There is NO SUCH THING as a NON-LETHAL shotgun round- well, maybe with the exception of a Dummy round with no primer or powder, used by gunsmiths to check the action of a gun. The term is LESS lethal- and they can still kill you deader than 4 o'clock.

#3. You may have some unrealistic expectations of your ability to hit a moving target, in a hurry, poor shooting position, high adrenaline, poor lighting, freshly awakened, etc etc etc. I will say that I have been in a firefight or two, and the first few times I was astounded at how much ammo you can go thru with less effect than you had hoped for.

LEOs do not use Less Lethal rounds for self defense- they are used to force submission. Reason for that is that many times Less Lethal is also Less than Useless. And please note that other than a brain/ severed spinal cord shot, there is no guarantee that hitting your opponent, even with a load of buckshot is going to stop him instantly.

#4. I would be less worried about a resident that is mentally retarded than I would about the ones that are just stupid enough to break into my house.

Last edited by c3shooter; 07-24-2013 at 09:20 AM.
People Like This 
Old 07-24-2013, 02:13 AM   #17
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6669 Times on 3549 Posts
Likes Given: 502

no such thing as a non lethal weapon.

beanbags can be lethal the same way that fists or rocks can be lethal. more than a few people have been killed with bean bag rounds. hit someone in the throat eye nose solar plexus they can go into a non-breathing state long enough to die. hit someone over the heart at the right time in the heartbeat cycle and it can esily stop beating.

leave less lethal options to the police. if you discharge a firearm with the intent to use a less lethal round you were not in fear of your life and i firmly believed you should be tried for aggravated assault or worse.

stun guns and pepper spray also fall into that category in my opinion.

if the person is mentally challenged they are far less likely to assault anyone that is not provoking them than your average highschooler. truly dangerous mental people are usually found in elected office or run major american cities and can be often found on 24hour news casts...

if you see this person on your doorstep or trying to enter your home call the police if your scared. be sure to fill out a written police report and have it filed not just answer a few questions of the responding officer. press charges on tresspass etc. the key is developing a legal history of transgression. this helps to get the person medical help in a setting where they can be safely monitered.

shooting someone with a less lethal round will justly land you in jail
"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

"I crapped my pants to avoid the draft!!" -Ted Nugent
People Like This 
Old 07-24-2013, 02:16 AM   #18

Liked 744 Times on 435 Posts
Likes Given: 958

I think if you shoot an intruder....you only want one side to that story...YOURS..Intruder is coming out of my house feet first, and room temperature.
People Like This 
Old 07-24-2013, 04:33 AM   #19

Liked 83 Times on 66 Posts

I also have a family member that has broken into my house while i was on vacation before. I wouldn't want to take his life if i was at home. Thanks for your opinions everyone I will now keep my questions and opinions to myself some people are getting a little too personal and judgmental on here. I will only post if i have questions or when i feel like it. So long everyone thank you for all the info. i have learned a wealth of knowledge from you guys. stay safe and bless you all
Anna_Purna Likes This 
Old 07-24-2013, 05:04 AM   #20
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 22240 Times on 12460 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by hq357 View Post
I also have a family member that has broken into my house while i was on vacation before. I wouldn't want to take his life if i was at home. Thanks for your opinions everyone I will now keep my questions and opinions to myself some people are getting a little too personal and judgmental on here. I will only post if i have questions or when i feel like it. So long everyone thank you for all the info. i have learned a wealth of knowledge from you guys. stay safe and bless you all
you pose scenarios and want opinions or viewpoints but seem upset, or possibly even disappointed that you didn't get the replys maybe you expected us to give you. many times we can only interpret from what is posted and give the answer as we think applies. if the answers to your questions or scenarios were not what you expected, then sorry, but many of us will call things the way we percieve them to be. some of us come off as blunt, many times myself included, and when you talk of such serious subjects as the use of deadly force in SD, well that's a pretty serious subject and one that i will never bother to sugarcoat my thoughts or opinions on such.

now you have been given some very good advice to reflect upon and give serious consideration to, and i would advise in doing so. i will add this final little bit of wisdom for you to ponder on. the taking of a person's life, even an evil one, is never a trivial thing, nor one to be taken lightly. all life is precious and should be respected and there are those who don't follow that path. but even the taking of a life in SD of yourself or loved ones is something to never make light of. i'll leave you with that thought to think upon.
People Like This 
Closed Thread