Should i keep one non lethal round loaded in the magtube?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > Should i keep one non lethal round loaded in the magtube?

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-23-2013, 11:40 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 81 Times on 64 Posts

Default Should i keep one non lethal round loaded in the magtube?

I keep my shotgun with nothing in the chamber and mag tube loaded. first shell is a bean bag round because i know there is a mentally disabled man in the neighborhood and i wouldn't want to kill him if he somehow broke into my house at night im not sure what he looks like but i know theres one to watch out for. maybe he didnt take his meds and wandered off. also i wouldn't want to kill somebody over a tv or if something that isn't really life threatening happend. Say if they were just trying to steal a tv id give him a chance to leave. if he dosent leave id hit him with the bean bag round and if he still dosent leave and comes after me the next round will be a 00 buckshot to the chest. im not sure if i should get rid of the bean bag round option. but then again i wouldn't want a lethal only. and if i killed a home invader id have to explain what happend in court so i might just keep the 1 bean bag round so they know i gave him a chance to leave and had no choice. live in a city /urban environment so shooting a bean at a home intruder bag may still get me into legal problems but not as much a killing an intruder a but if the intruder gets hit with a bean bag he may come back armed and dangerous with worse intentiontons than before. id have to worry knowing theres a guy out there that wants to harm my family and knows where i live. So what should i do? Keep the 1 bean bag round so i have the option of non lethal/lethal? Or just lethal only mag tube filled with buckshot your opinions please

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-23-2013, 11:48 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3185 Times on 1834 Posts
Likes Given: 2062

IMHO, a bean bag round is like a warning shot. I do not plan on any warning shots.

Old 07-23-2013, 11:53 PM   #3

Liked 81 Times on 64 Posts

What if it was a retarded man that didnt mean any harm?

Old 07-23-2013, 11:55 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 330 Times on 179 Posts
Likes Given: 3

buckshot only here. I would think you could get in more trouble for using non lethal rounds out of a gun, and the way I see it if the intention is anything but lethal you shouldn't point a gun anyway. Get a stun gun maybe if you want non lethal.

Old 07-23-2013, 11:59 PM   #5
McCool@email.com
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7802 Times on 4229 Posts
Likes Given: 16515

I don't think a retarded man will innocently break into your house. If he did, he wouldn't be wearing a "Don't shoot, I'm retarded" tee shirt.

No offense and none taken (̿▀̿ ̿Ĺ̯̿̿▀̿ ̿)̄

Old 07-24-2013, 12:04 AM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6751 Times on 3669 Posts
Likes Given: 5796

Your intent is to stop the threat. In court, you would probably be grilled over on why did you want to kill him.
Having knowing non lethal, and then lethal rounds in your gun would probably not serve you well.

Old 07-24-2013, 12:16 AM   #7

Liked 520 Times on 313 Posts
Likes Given: 238

Quote:
Originally Posted by hq357 View Post
I keep my shotgun with nothing in the chamber and mag tube loaded. first shell is a bean bag round because i know there is a mentally disabled man in the neighborhood and i wouldn't want to kill him if he somehow broke into my house at night im not sure what he looks like but i know theres one to watch out for. maybe he didnt take his meds and wandered off. also i wouldn't want to kill somebody over a tv or if something that isn't really life threatening happend. Say if they were just trying to steal a tv id give him a chance to leave. if he dosent leave id hit him with the bean bag round and if he still dosent leave and comes after me the next round will be a 00 buckshot to the chest. im not sure if i should get rid of the bean bag round option. but then again i wouldn't want a lethal only. and if i killed a home invader id have to explain what happend in court so i might just keep the 1 bean bag round so they know i gave him a chance to leave and had no choice. live in a city /urban environment so shooting a bean at a home intruder bag may still get me into legal problems but not as much a killing an intruder a but if the intruder gets hit with a bean bag he may come back armed and dangerous with worse intentiontons than before. id have to worry knowing theres a guy out there that wants to harm my family and knows where i live. So what should i do? Keep the 1 bean bag round so i have the option of non lethal/lethal? Or just lethal only mag tube filled with buckshot your opinions please
Some people are just not cut out to use a gun. You should sell yours and get a large watch dog.
Old 07-24-2013, 12:46 AM   #8
Not Unsafe Act Compliant!
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1784 Times on 1102 Posts
Likes Given: 9923

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatmydust View Post
IMHO, a bean bag round is like a warning shot. I do not plan on any warning shots.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimogden1984 View Post
buckshot only here. I would think you could get in more trouble for using non lethal rounds out of a gun, and the way I see it if the intention is anything but lethal you shouldn't point a gun anyway. Get a stun gun maybe if you want non lethal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anna_Purna View Post
Your intent is to stop the threat. In court, you would probably be grilled over on why did you want to kill him.
Having knowing non lethal, and then lethal rounds in your gun would probably not serve you well.
this is a heads up warning about the use of "less lethal" ammo. 9 times out of 10, you will be charged if you use a "less lethal" projectile before using lethal means. The use of non lethal force can be taken as you were NOT in fear for the lives of yourself or your loved ones. Same goes when a warning shot is fired. If there was time for a warning shot, you were not in fear for your safety or your life.

If you are going to keep an HD gun in your house, you must be willing to use it to stop the threat. Even if it means using it to kill the person who is threatening you or your family with injury or death. the closest things to a warning shot that will occur in that case at my home are:

1. a barking 100 pound dog who is inside the dwelling.

2.the words Stop, Leave, Drop the weapon, or get the he!! out of my house.

and 3. the sound of the gun going off when I drop BG #1 for not complying. This will only apply to BG #s 2 and up.

Is it better to do the right thing for the wrong reason, or to do the wrong thing for the right reason? If you do the wrong thing for the right reason, is it still the wrong thing?

Si vis pacem para bellum.

There are two ways of doing something. Right and again.

People Like This 
Old 07-24-2013, 12:47 AM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3185 Times on 1834 Posts
Likes Given: 2062

You cannot know his intentions. Your best bet is to lock your doors at all times and poss. get a watchdog on top of your HD weapon(s).

Yes killing an innocent is a tragic mistake, but I don't think you'll be blazing away at the 1st sign of movement in your home!

Old 07-24-2013, 01:29 AM   #10
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21997 Times on 12402 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

do you understand why LEO's use less than lethal rounds? several reasons. they have been trained in using les than lethal or alternative methods. they usually many times have either a partner or back-up pretty close by. they have also many times been trained to evaluate a situation and a person's intentions, as to whether they need to use less than lethal or the use of deadly force.

so unless you have been trained in the use of less than lethal methods or have a partner or back-up, leave this to people trained to use it and those who know when to use it.

if you are not mentally prepared to take another person's life when they have broken in, then i do suggest as others that having a gun is a liability, not an asset. IMO, i really don't think you have fully thought through using deadly force. reading some of your posts, i really get the impression that you lack the maturity to have really thought this through. this ain't a game or a movie. you need to really get inside your own mind and do some serious soul searching and thinking and be honest with yourself about using deadly force. you can come on the forum and talk about this and how you think or that your ready. but my impression is, you really haven't or your not being totaly honest with yourself or us.

now my advice is worth exactly whatever value you place upon it an it was free. but not being honest with yourself over as serious an issue as this, could cause you some serious problems in the future. so do with it whatever suits you.

Closed Thread