Shotguns vs. Pistols: Home Defense
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > Shotguns vs. Pistols: Home Defense

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-01-2011, 06:26 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Shotguns vs. Pistols: Home Defense

You're in bed, falling asleep, when you're suddenly awoken by a loud crash downstairs. Your home is being invaded, you have to stop it, since police response times range anywhere from five to thirty minutes, more than enough time in which to die. My question is: Which is better for home defense, a shotgun (Remington 870, for example), or a pistol (Colt M1911)? I'm just learning about firearms, but it seems to me that a shotgun would have more stopping power to a soft object like a man, and less penetration of hard objects like walls, making it more lethal to the target and less likely to accidentally kill your neighbors. Also, in terms of personal opinion, I think shotguns are far more intimidating, don't you?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-01-2011, 06:43 AM   #2
No Longer a NY Resident.
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1577 Times on 964 Posts
Likes Given: 8141

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven_Mont View Post
You're in bed, falling asleep, when you're suddenly awoken by a loud crash downstairs. Your home is being invaded, you have to stop it, since police response times range anywhere from five to thirty minutes, more than enough time in which to die. My question is: Which is better for home defense, a shotgun (Remington 870, for example), or a pistol (Colt M1911)? I'm just learning about firearms, but it seems to me that a shotgun would have more stopping power to a soft object like a man, and less penetration of hard objects like walls, making it more lethal to the target and less likely to accidentally kill your neighbors. Also, in terms of personal opinion, I think shotguns are far more intimidating, don't you?
In the situation above, I would want the shotgun as my primary weapon. I would also wan't my wife covering my six with the pistol JIC there were more than I had ammo for. There was a study a few years ago in which several inmates were asked which would scare them off faster. Man or woman? Rifle, shotgun, or pistol? 93% said if they saw a man or woman with a shotgun, they would haul a$$ out of the place and not come back. In a broad daylight situation, you can't beat the pistol on your hip, but if I lived in an area where I needed a pistol on me during the day, I would start looking for a new place to live. Just my opinion.

Is it better to do the right thing for the wrong reason, or to do the wrong thing for the right reason? If you do the wrong thing for the right reason, is it still the wrong thing?

Si vis pacem para bellum.

To those who wish to take away our Second Amendment rights. What will you do when we, all 100,000,000 of us, stand as one, and say no?

Old 12-01-2011, 06:49 AM   #3

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

My preference is a shotgun. I came to this conclusion after thinking about those same issues (overpenitration, stopping power, intimidation factor). It's different depending on each individuals situation. For me, I'm in an apartment so I use bird shot so as to not blow thru three walls and kill fourteen people if I miss the bad guy. Also the shot pattern is a bit bigger than buckshot. Nothing wrong with my glock but I don't know a man that sticks around to see if that really was a 12ga or not that he just heard. :-)

Old 12-01-2011, 06:55 AM   #4
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21581 Times on 12248 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

IMO, i have many pistols and a few shotguns, but i will say this in bed, getting woke up to someone in the house, i would more than likely go for the pump shotgun next to the bed over the pistol next to the bed. now if wide awake and were an option, tuck a pistol in the back pocket and grab a shotgun too.

Old 12-01-2011, 07:43 AM   #5

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

In the house I"m more prone to want a shotgun but if the dog is going off out in the yard I pick up a pistol most of the time. Although I question the lack of penetration of 00 buck and a normal house wall. And that's what usually is in my 12 ga. sitting next to the bed.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

Old 12-01-2011, 10:37 AM   #6

Liked 132 Times on 102 Posts

If they continue after hearing my dogs they are going to run into a .44 Special Glaser Safety Slug or .357 SJHP. I keep my shotguns in the safe and do not expect anything really, because I live out in the country and someone is always shooting in their backyard around here. Our neighborhood watch is armed. I picked up a rental car last time I had to take a trip and was loading stuff and my neighbor came walking up the driveway with a handgun because he didn't recognize the car. He apologized and I told him certainly no apology needed, I appreciate him checking, and always please do bring a gun.
Only a couple of times in my life have I ever lived where I had a serious concern about a break in. When I had a dog, I got my Wingmaster duck gun set up before I went to bed. When I didn't have a dog, I slept with a pistol.

What could have happened... did.

Old 12-01-2011, 01:12 PM   #7
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5662 Times on 2957 Posts
Likes Given: 375

I would prefer a shotgun for home defense but my wife just cant shoot one effectively. She has no problems with an ar15 so her m4 type carbine is whats in the bedroom we also have a springfield xdm for each of us.

While a shotgun is ideal i dont want a gun handy that she may have to use she doesnt understand.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 12-01-2011, 01:23 PM   #8

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I would choose a handgun, but the main reasons is, because my house has very narrow halls/small rooms and being 6'4"/large build a handgun is easier to use in my home. If I had a larger or more easily manuvearable house I would go with a shotgun.

"It's a gun you loaded on Sunday, and shot all week."
-Confederate Soldier

"If God didn't create man equal then Sam Colt had made them equal."
-Unknown

"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything."
-Wyatt Earp

Old 12-01-2011, 01:58 PM   #9

Liked 1131 Times on 736 Posts
Likes Given: 2020

with 1o ft between the end of my bed and bedroom doors and 19 ft between my bedroom door and the nearest entry door I would want my shotgun , in closer quarters I would want to be armed with no smaller than a high capacity 9mm with a good quality HD rounds

Old 12-02-2011, 04:44 AM   #10

Thanks for the replies, people. Also, JonM, your gun control quote made me grin.