Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Shotgun Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f26/)
-   -   Shotguns in Jacksonville, Fl (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f26/shotguns-jacksonville-fl-81088/)

Tillman7777 01-12-2013 02:36 PM

Shotguns in Jacksonville, Fl

Is there anyplace in the Jacksonville area to target practice with a shotgun?

davva360 01-12-2013 03:21 PM

Hi Tillman

I am from Jacksonville too and I am planning on buying a shotgun next month. I had the same question.

So far the only one I know of is about 5 minutes from my house and is called Gateway Rifle and pistol club. I have never been although I do intend to once I have my shotgun.

The indoor ranges don't let you fire shotguns although the new one being built on Wells Rd called On Target Sports is going to allow shotguns with slugs only. Due to open in February I think.

For more information they both have websites that are easy to find on Google.

Blueguns 01-12-2013 06:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tillman7777
Is there anyplace in the Jacksonville area to target practice with a shotgun?

Well I'm in northern CA, and there is plenty of public land around here to do it legally. I would go on your Fish and Game website and look for public land near you.

If you want to shoot trap at a range google "Trap range (your zip code).

Tillman7777 01-12-2013 09:17 PM

I saw the new range opening soon. I was going to get an annual membership at Bullseye here in Jacksonville but may way to compare $$$ and facilities..... I don't do trap or skeet... Just wanted to do target. Moved here from central Fl where there are several indoor ranges that do allow shotguns with certain restrictions.

Blueguns 01-12-2013 10:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tillman7777
I saw the new range opening soon. I was going to get an annual membership at Bullseye here in Jacksonville but may way to compare $$$ and facilities..... I don't do trap or skeet... Just wanted to do target. Moved here from central Fl where there are several indoor ranges that do allow shotguns with certain restrictions.

If you're just going to shoot targets, public land is the way to go IMO.

davva360 01-13-2013 12:42 AM

I have been to bullseye and its ok. Not sure what their policies are with shotguns though. I usually go to Gun Gallery on Beach Blvd.

I will be getting my shotgun sooner than I expected so I will be trying Gateway soon. I will let you know how it goes.

What area of Jax are you in? I am over the Westside between Argyle Forest and 103rd so for me Gateway is close. I can actually hear them shooting from my back yard sometimes lol.

davva360 01-13-2013 03:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blueguns

If you're just going to shoot targets, public land is the way to go IMO.

No, you cannot target shoot anywhere in Florida except designated shooting ranges and private land on which you have explicit approval to do so by the owner.

Tillman7777 01-13-2013 03:59 AM

I am on the West side also, near Chafee and Beaver. Bullseye is decent, not great... Annual membership is about $150.00. However I would pay more for the new place. It seems well thought out and upscale!

SSGN_Doc 01-13-2013 05:19 PM

You could head out toward Lake City. There is a WMA range that is open to the public. But I'd check to see if shotguns are allowed on their target ranges. Many public ranges don't allow shotgus for target shooting because many folks just end up tearing up the target stands and the plastic shells and wads tend to litter the place up pretty fast.

I just transferred from Georgia, just north of Jacksonville. and on the Georgia side of the border the WMA range near me had a strict, "no-shotgun" policy. To the point that thye had hidden cameras and would take down liscense numbers and fine people who used shotguns on the range, or did other damage or litering at the range. Most of that was driven by the fact that some idiots would do some really stupid things out there, like rip out the water well head, shoot and ultimately drive into and tear down the public toilet out there. Folks would take the chairs for the shooting benches and use them as target stands, haul their old furniture out there and shoot it. Basically the place began to be more like a dump than a shooting range, and it was on the edge of being shut down because of all the stupidity and extra work that it cause the rangers.

So, if it is against the rules. Don't try to be sneaky and tear the place up. It sucks that public rnages aren't moer plentiful, but the reason is because the dumb masses get out there and do stupid stuff. Then responsible shooters end up not having nice places to shoot for free.

davva360 01-14-2013 02:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SSGN_Doc
You could head out toward Lake City. There is a WMA range that is open to the public. But I'd check to see if shotguns are allowed on their target ranges. Many public ranges don't allow shotgus for target shooting because many folks just end up tearing up the target stands and the plastic shells and wads tend to litter the place up pretty fast.

I just transferred from Georgia, just north of Jacksonville. and on the Georgia side of the border the WMA range near me had a strict, "no-shotgun" policy. To the point that thye had hidden cameras and would take down liscense numbers and fine people who used shotguns on the range, or did other damage or litering at the range. Most of that was driven by the fact that some idiots would do some really stupid things out there, like rip out the water well head, shoot and ultimately drive into and tear down the public toilet out there. Folks would take the chairs for the shooting benches and use them as target stands, haul their old furniture out there and shoot it. Basically the place began to be more like a dump than a shooting range, and it was on the edge of being shut down because of all the stupidity and extra work that it cause the rangers.

So, if it is against the rules. Don't try to be sneaky and tear the place up. It sucks that public rnages aren't moer plentiful, but the reason is because the dumb masses get out there and do stupid stuff. Then responsible shooters end up not having nice places to shoot for free.

I tried to check it out on the website but I am not sure if shotguns are allowed. May try calling tomorrow.