Shotgunners unite! - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > Shotgunners unite!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-24-2009, 06:12 PM   #21
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Default I guess we be bad Bro

Quote:
Originally Posted by stalkingbear View Post
I guess I stand corrected then. I was positive it was 28OAL for shotguns. I'll call my local BATFE to verify it but it looks like I was wrong so far.
Sure looks like we both were wrong on that one Bro. It's hell to be human!

Sua Sponte!

Old 10-24-2009, 07:01 PM   #22

If I could have just one, it would be a shotgun!

Old 10-25-2009, 07:33 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by stalkingbear View Post
Minimum length for rifles are 16" barrel & 26" OAL. Shotguns are 18" barrel & 28" OAL. You can try to deny it if you want but that's the law and ignorance is no excuse. You are DEFINITELY wrong! I've been a gunsmith for 28 years and have no reason to lie to you. ATF Online - Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms

I didn't try to deny it and I wasn't DEFINITELY wrong sir, as you can see. I have been in the buisness for 4yrs now (obviously not as long as you have) and I knew my double barrel met the ATF standards for the shotgun. I verified this purchase with my then mentor (gunsmith, class 2 manufacturer for over 30yrs). He measured it and told me I was good to go.

I felt your response was a little rude from your part. I was not been IGNORANT or try to DENY anything and I never thought you were a LIAR, sir. I actually ask from you for information about the subject because I could been wrong and I would be very grateful if you would show me the way.

We are humans and we make mistakes. I want it to be corrected so I don't break any laws. It seems I have not.

Old 10-25-2009, 12:05 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Water-Man View Post
If I could have just one, it would be a shotgun!
thats my motto.

rifles and pistols definitely have their place, but a good shotgun could fill in for either in a pinch, and it does great for it's intended purposes too.

Old 10-25-2009, 01:57 PM   #25

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I've already admitted in open forum I was wrong-what more do you want?????? When I said ignorance is no excuse I was referring to ignorance of the law is no excuse-I was NOT calling you ignorant at all. I WAS concerned about you possibly getting in trouble and should have checked the exact law before responding. You can bet I'll never do that again! It SUCKS to have to admit I was wrong on the forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by james_black View Post
I didn't try to deny it and I wasn't DEFINITELY wrong sir, as you can see. I have been in the buisness for 4yrs now (obviously not as long as you have) and I knew my double barrel met the ATF standards for the shotgun. I verified this purchase with my then mentor (gunsmith, class 2 manufacturer for over 30yrs). He measured it and told me I was good to go.

I felt your response was a little rude from your part. I was not been IGNORANT or try to DENY anything and I never thought you were a LIAR, sir. I actually ask from you for information about the subject because I could been wrong and I would be very grateful if you would show me the way.

We are humans and we make mistakes. I want it to be corrected so I don't break any laws. It seems I have not.

Sometimes you earthlings REALLY amaze me!

Old 10-25-2009, 02:12 PM   #26

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by james_black View Post

You and Tango should go get a pedicure and calm down. I know it's early, but maybe pour yourself a drink...

Old 10-25-2009, 02:51 PM   #27
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I have more shotguns then anything else and I'm currently eyeing another one. I personally think nothing is as versitile as a shotgun and with today's loads, probably the 12ga. My heart is with 16s though and I regularly drop doves with my side by side. I keep my 410 just to play with.

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 10-27-2009, 03:59 AM   #28

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I'm new to the shotgun game, but I'm already amazed by the possibilities my humble Remington 870 offers. I can hunt anything in my country, from boar to quail, and also have a fantastic home defense tool.

In Argentina, any kind of expanding ammo is forbidden. We're stuck with FMJ or LRN in our handguns, which makes them less than ideal considering that most home invasions are carried out by several individuals usually pumped full of drugs. Semiauto rifles with detachable magazines need a special government permit (we've got a lefty president, so those permits are impossible to get).

A pump action shotgun is the only weapon that we can use to its full potential. I didn't know how I would like it, luckily after spending some hours with my shotty at the range I can say I just LOVE IT. Ammo cost isn't that bad either, a bit under what .45 FMJ costs. I'm becoming quite addicted to rapid firing slugs, it makes me smile.

Now hatred is by far the longest pleasure;
Men love in haste, but they detest at leisure.
- Lord Byron (George Gordon Noel Byron), Don Juan
(canto XII, st. 6)

Old 10-27-2009, 04:43 AM   #29

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I own two shotguns at the moment, a short barrel for HD and an 870 with a 28" for thing's like shooting trap and possibly hunting in the future (stepdad is a big hunter and very much a shotgun kinda guy) they are as most have said very versatile and a WHOLE LOT of fun. I love checking out all the different 12ga loads, anything from the tiniest #12 shot to 000buck, buck and ball loads, rifled slugs, sabot slugs....there are just a lot of ways to use them!

Old 10-28-2009, 03:23 AM   #30
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1245 Times on 707 Posts
Likes Given: 591

You can't call yourself a gun lover without a few shotguns in the safe. I don't know how many I have had over the years,I have bought & traded quite a few. I have always liked the older shotguns,and currently just have 5 in my collection.
My favorite hunting shotgun is my 1906 Remington Autoloader (pre-Model 11) but I still call it a Model 11. It has been refinished/parkerized and I put a set of synthetic stocks on it,to preserve the original wood that is in excellent cond.
I haven't shot my 1930's Stevens/Westernfield 520 much yet,but it is also another J.M.Browning design that is built like a tank,and also a takedown design with a unique cam design that lets the barrel and magazine tube break away from the receiver/buttstock.
My two favorites(I'm a wood nut) are my 1978 Remington 870TB and a 1981 Browning BPS.The wood on both of these shotguns are beautiful,the buttstocks & forearms have great figure in them.

I also have a JW 2000 (Chinese) Double external hammer Coach Gun that is fun to shoot. I've had it for several years and it has held up very well. I didn't think it would last very long when I bought it,but it is actually a pretty decent little gun.

All of these shotguns are 12ga,I want to get a couple of 16 & 20ga guns again but I just haven't found any that I like yet.I'm looking for some left hand.