Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Shotgun Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f26/)
-   -   Shotgunners unite! (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f26/shotgunners-unite-19305/)

OlPainless 10-21-2009 02:47 AM

Shotgunners unite!

Most of my firearm aficionado friends think I’m nuts... I’m not into AR's, can't stand AK's, can't justify the need for a .308, don't need or think I will ever have to shoot anything 1000 yards away (.300 mag, .338 lapua, etc...), and I don’t care too much for pistols (aside from carry purposes).

My true pleasure is shotguns, always has been, always will be. I own 4 firearms, 3 of which eat the best cartridge/shell of all time (IMO) the 12 gauge. The 4th being my carry piece.

Shotguns are great at so many things, home defense, birds, small game, yotes, deer and other medium game (although not much past 100 yards), and good old fashioned American fun.

I just can't see why they aren't more popular for anything other than birds and HD than they are. Even the ammo is plentiful and fairly inexpensive.

All I want to know is who's with me and if you aren't, then well why the hell not? Okay I take back that last part... wouldn't want to be the laughing stock of the forum. :D

IGETEVEN 10-21-2009 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OlPainless (Post 176067)
My true pleasure is shotguns, always has been, always will be. I own 4 firearms, 3 of which eat the best cartridge/shell of all time (IMO) the 12 gauge. The 4th being my carry piece.

Shotguns are great at so many things, home defense, birds, small game, yotes, deer and other medium game (although not much past 100 yards), and good old fashioned American fun.

I just can't see why they aren't more popular for anything other than birds and HD than they are. Even the ammo is plentiful and fairly inexpensive.

All I want to know is who's with me and if you aren't, then well why the hell not? Okay I take back that last part... wouldn't want to be the laughing stock of the forum. :D

Indeed. :)

Jack

skullcrusher 10-21-2009 08:14 PM

I love shotguns as well. I live in a shotgun state for hunting. No high powered rifle for large game is allowed. That means that I use my shottys for hunting and defense. That being said, I do not like the uber tactial shottys with all the gadgets and pistol grips and folding stocks and shell holders. I have not much need for them, but that is just my opinion.

Patrick Sperry 10-21-2009 11:31 PM

I like them all but...

Shotguns, to me are the all around can do toy. Other than making long distance calls. Which are, next thing best to being there, if you know what I mean.

I hunt more with lead spreaders because? Well, longer seasons and more diversity of game. I also love the shotgun games with trap being my favorite even if I'm not very good at it.

I love my BPS 10 for pass shooting Geese and for Turkey hunting. Otherwise I pretty much shoot a 12 gauge SPS 870. That may be changing though because my better half is buying an 870 Youth/Women 20 gauge.

My all time favorite shotgun was a Field Grade Citori in 20 that was stolen...

stalkingbear 10-22-2009 12:10 AM

Wanna buy it back?

Patrick Sperry 10-22-2009 12:36 AM

So you were the critter!

Quote:

Originally Posted by stalkingbear (Post 176268)
Wanna buy it back?

Get you ass back on the History channel where you belong!

Damned grabby BigFoots anyways...:D

james_black 10-22-2009 01:09 AM

Sucker # 2 here. I LOVE SHOTGUNS!!!

I have 2 mossberg 590, (1)500, (1) 935 spx and a double barrel coach. :D:D

User Name 10-22-2009 02:35 AM

I love shotguns, however I also love those other firearms that you stated. I think they are just meant for different purposes. I have an AK47 and have a blast shooting it. I think my favorite thing to shoot however would be my glock. I just love shooting handguns and the ammo is realativly cheap. It is also extremely easy to clean and maintain. I must say though that a shotgun is one of the most "do everything" firearm. It can kill anything for a squirl/snake or bird to something up to an elk or larger. Glad you know what you like though!

mrm14 10-22-2009 02:38 AM

I have more shotguns than rifles and pistols. When I was much younger I shot trap and skeet competively. Sporting clays now as well. All but two of my shotguns are for target the other two are for HD and Pheasant/Duck. The last year, however, I've got into 1000 Yard NRA F-O Class shooting. So the shotgun's have been not totally but somewhat silent at the sporting clay/skeet range. I did literally, just awhile ago, get my Pheasants.

It was once said or written somewhere that the shotgun is the thinking mans gun.

If all you could afford was one gun to put food on the table and for defence you cant beat a shotgun.

Patrick Sperry 10-22-2009 10:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by james_black (Post 176278)
Sucker # 2 here. I LOVE SHOTGUNS!!!

I have 2 mossberg 590, (1)500, (1) 935 spx and a double barrel coach. :D:D

Is that Coach the 12 gauge, or the BP 10 model?