Shotgun for Waterfowl - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > Shotgun for Waterfowl

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-20-2012, 05:15 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

I am a little late on this one, but I'll chime in anyway. When it come to duck or geese hunting, I only take my Nova. Most people like using a semi-automatic when hunting ducks and such, but I've never been let down with my Nova. Later on if you decide to go after turkey, the Nova makes a great turkey gun too. It's a little pricey but you won't be let down.

Old 11-20-2012, 05:36 PM   #22
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 250 Times on 195 Posts
Likes Given: 105

At least Nova has the recoil reducer built into the stock but of course, is not included. Autos absorb a lot of recoil that would otherwise be directed toward your shoulder.

If you are recoil proof - Congradulations, if not, then head out to the skeet, trap or sporting clays fields and politely ask to try or rent one.

My buds old Browning A-5 was having trouble so I offered him my Baretta 391 p. Tgt. 12 ga. - he said it had less recoil than his wife's Baretta 686 O/U 20 ga. Scientific - no - just an honest evaluation. (or a private joke)

Im not sure it's possible to turn a 12 ga into a 20 ga. - I tried.

Last edited by Gonzilla; 11-20-2012 at 08:26 PM.

Old 11-20-2012, 06:52 PM   #23

Liked 133 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombieapocalypse766 View Post
Oh man, you guys are killing me! When I first started looking I fell in love with the 1100 but a few seasoned waterfowl hunting friends suggested the benelli nova. I hear the gas autos tend to sometimes struggle in cold weather or is that a myth? And after a lot of research I haven't found many reviews on the nova as a hunting shotgun, only tactical layouts. Any further input would be greatly appreciated
I can tell you this much about a Mossberg 500 pump, it will shoot full of snow or dirt. I have yet to drop one in the mud. I will only say this much about a plain old 500 you won't regret buying it. You will have enough left to buy a nicer gun after a few paychecks. But in time the 500 will be the gun you count on.

"I do not aim with my hand; I aim with my eye. He who aims with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I do not shoot with my hand; I shoot with my mind. He who shoots with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I do not kill with my gun; I kill with my heart. He who kills with his gun has forgotten the face of his father."

Adopt a pet!! http://www.aspca.org/ Some of the finest pleasure horses come from here: http://www.canterusa.org/

Old 11-22-2012, 02:06 AM   #24

Liked 133 Times on 103 Posts

One of my buddies is one of the great O/U lovers of all time. He owns one of four Krieghoff Royal Crown Grade four gauge sets I know of in existence. But even he gave up on O/Us for waterfowl. Too much breakover in a blind for easy maneuvering.

What could have happened... did.