You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion >

Shotgun vs. Rifle for deer hunting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-16-2012, 08:55 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueguns View Post
Isn't that only NY though?
Also New Jersey.

Old 06-01-2016, 11:26 PM   #22

Liked 42 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmaster456 View Post
Nope, Michigan and Ohio also have such laws as well as a couple of others I believe.
Illinois only allows a rifle if it's black powder.

Old 06-02-2016, 12:30 AM   #23

Liked 3645 Times on 2062 Posts
Likes Given: 2470

Y'all need to move to states where you can hunt with a rifle!

Yawp, deer get me thinking scoped 30.06.(would be rifle)
dango Likes This 
Old 06-02-2016, 12:34 AM   #24
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7373 Times on 3935 Posts
Likes Given: 583

thanks for finding this thread eliza. its a good one.

where i live it can be kinda dangerous to shoot rifles even though its legal to hunt with any rifle in deer gun season. lots of folks hunt near homes and use shotguns instead of rifles.

a shotgun with quality slugs are more than accurste to 200yards to efficiently take deer. my benelli m4 is capable of chest shots on any deer out to 200yards. most deer are taken at 100 or less.

while rifles are more accurate at very long ranges, nothing short of a 338lapua hits a deer harder than a 12ga slug.

a typical whitetail has a 10" vital area. if your firearm holds 10moa your good to go. so is the minimal accuracy difference between a shotgun and rifle under 200yds really that big a deal??

i think not
"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

"I crapped my pants to avoid the draft!!" -Ted Nugent

Old 06-07-2016, 06:04 PM   #25

Liked 179 Times on 115 Posts
Likes Given: 20

I have killed a bunch of deer with both. Depends on where you are hunting and the method used. When we do man drives I like a 3" load of number 1 or 00. I have a Kicks buckshot chokes for both my Nova and M1-Super 90 and have killed many deer out to 65-70 yards. I do not have much experience using slugs as we can use rifles but have shot dedicated slugs guns my friends use in shot gun only areas in VA that were tack drivers.

Old 06-09-2016, 06:00 AM   #26

Liked 807 Times on 529 Posts
Likes Given: 54

Ive shot slugs each year for the last 13, using the right combination of barrel, sights and slugs a shotgun can sling it out there quite a ways and accurately enough.

Here is the link to the American Slug Shooting Association A.S.S.A site.

http://www.slugshooting.com/

One portion from their sight showing how well a slug gun can shoot.
AIMPOINT WINNER!
Target below submitted in the 100 yard Professional Division by MK, total spread over 5 shots was .787" using a Model 870 with Rifled Barrel, Aimpoint Red Dot Sights and Hastings Sabot Ammunition.

Last edited by Rex in OTZ; 06-09-2016 at 06:02 AM.

Old 06-09-2016, 11:14 PM   #27
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 4070 Times on 2474 Posts
Likes Given: 22740

Update to the old post, all the laws are still the same back in NY, but I no longer hunt there. Just not worth the cost of an NR license there IMHO, and I prefer to be able to take a pistol with me when I hunt, and as a NR of NY, I no longer hold a NY Pistol Permit. I'll stick to hunting here instead.

Here in PA, we are allowed rifles, shotguns or handguns With Sportsman Permit or LTCF) as long as they are manually operated for big game. Caliber a gauge depends on the game being hunted, as does projectile type (Turkey is BG here, and a solid can be used in the Fall season, but shot only in the Spring.) From the state deer regs:

Manually operated centerfire rifles, handguns, and shotguns with an all lead bullet or ball, or a bullet designed to expand on impact.

Now, I will stick with the way I did it in NY, shotgun in the deep woods, rifle for field, handgun as a BU for both, and bow in the more urban areas on the outskirts of the suburbs. We're still looking for some private land around here we can use, but we do have the SGL about 15 minutes from the house, and a salvage yard we can use to bowhunt in Fairview. the only one we can't use firearms on is the Salvage yard, as per the owner's request. Aside from that, we are limited to 3 rounds in long guns, 6 in handguns, manually operated (Single shot, bolt, pump, lever, ect.) and the LTCF or SL to hunt while in possession of a handgun, SL to hunt with it, and LTCF to carry primarily for SD.

As ti using a shotgun with slugs, I have a Remington 11-48 that shoots minute of beer bottle at 50 yards with it's old Weaver scope on an Echo mount that I can't use here, and a Mossberg 185-d that has a Redding peep sight on it that will do the same as long as I do my part. I've dropped more than one deer at 75 yards with that old BA pumpkin lobber, but most of my shots are at less than 40 yards, on about a 10 inch target. I really don't ever need a rifle for deer, but I still sometimes carry one, most often, the NEF Handi-Rifle in .45-70 when i know most pof my shots will be less than 100 yards, and the 7X57 Mauser (1916 Spanish Short Rifle, 1st pattern) for out to 250 yards if I'm hunting the edge of a field.

Like I posted earlier, it just depends on where I'll be that day, and what conditions I will encounter.
If I have to explain why I ride, you wouldn't understand. Explaining sex to an alien would be easier than explaining the feeling, one that boils all that is going on in your life down to what really matters each time you are in The Wind. All I can say is, Life is not Life without it.

Old 06-10-2016, 04:37 AM   #28
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2126 Times on 1266 Posts
Likes Given: 1409

I have friends who live back in Indiana. The state is allowing some rifle ctgs. for the 2016 deer hunting. The list is some what different but workable.