Shotgun in a video game

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > Shotgun in a video game

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-30-2013, 08:06 PM   #1
CJx
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 23 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 36

Default Shotgun in a video game

I want to discuss the shotgun in a video game America's Army:Proving Grounds with you guys here on the forum, who are knowledgeable and aficionados.

The shotgun in this video game, is, in my opinion (I would say fact), a complete joke. I have already tested the shotgun in this game (00 Buckshot U.S Army standards), and at 20 yards the shotgun will not hit a player at all with the rare exception of a single stray pellet connecting.

At a mere 10 yards, the shotgun in this game will take approximately 10% of a players health away, meaning it takes approximately 10(ten) 00 Buckshot rounds to kill or incapacitate a player, at 10 yards!

At about 7 yards or less, the shotgun "magically" steps back on the stage and will 1-2 shot incap players.

This game is called America's Army:Proving Grounds, and that is the kicker. This game is developed and funded by the United States Army its self.

Players in this game defend the shotgun as I described it in above, and my question is, is this an accurate representation of what a U.S. Army Remington 870 14" Barrel 00 Buckshot shotgun would do in real life?

Please do note that I have actually tested the distances and figures I stated above, and am not just estimating or fabricating them, that is what the shotgun really does in this game.

*Disclaimer- I posted this in the shotgun section because I want to discuss real life shotgun ballistics vs. the shotgun in the United States Army video game, there will be no complaint from me if this topic is moved to a different section.

You might be a libertarian if you wonder why the definition of liberal contradicts with their views.

There is no left vs. right, no "liberal" vs. "conservative." It's greed for a few vs. prosperity for all, which side are you on?

Last edited by CJx; 10-30-2013 at 08:18 PM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-30-2013, 08:13 PM   #2
Cancer Killa
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: -1 reviews

Liked 360 Times on 222 Posts
Likes Given: 645

Are your targets in the game wearing any type of body armor or just hadji's in togas?

Owner/Armorer at Argyle Armoring, LLC - FFL 07
NRA Life Member
What do I know? I'm only a professional.

Old 10-30-2013, 08:18 PM   #3
CJx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argyle_Armoring View Post
Are your targets in the game wearing any type of body armor or just hadji's in togas?
No, not in this game. All they have is a health bar that starts at 100%

You might be a libertarian if you wonder why the definition of liberal contradicts with their views.

There is no left vs. right, no "liberal" vs. "conservative." It's greed for a few vs. prosperity for all, which side are you on?

Last edited by CJx; 10-30-2013 at 08:30 PM.

Old 10-30-2013, 08:38 PM   #4
Cancer Killa
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Well, I don't have a health bar so it all depends on what is covering your target's body.

NRA Life Member

Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 10-30-2013, 08:40 PM   #5
CJx

Quote:
Well, I don't have a health bar so it all depends on what is covering your target's body.
This is true. I think it's safe to say that there is nothing functioning as body armor in the game, so it's basically as if players are just wearing clothes.

But there is the fact that the shotgun completely misses people at only 20 yards, not a single pellet will connect. I don't this this enigma directly relates to body armor.

Last edited by CJx; 10-30-2013 at 08:43 PM.

Old 10-30-2013, 08:51 PM   #6
Cancer Killa
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

A 14" Remington 870 with a 3+1 magazine will lose a lot of it's patterning at 20 yards so yes, it is possible that only a 1 or 2 pellets would make contact with your target. I would say your effective range with the 14" 870 would be at 10 yards and closer. I'm sure some on here will disagree with me but that's what opinions are for.

NRA Life Member

Old 10-30-2013, 08:53 PM   #7
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5738 Times on 2997 Posts
Likes Given: 380

The operatibe word is game. Its made to be playable and fun as a recruiting tool. Its not a depiction of real life weapon systems as they work. If the game was depicting real life you would only ever get one chance to play. Die in game and the server would never ever let you log back on.

There is no depiction of the terrible wounds and decades of therapy wounded go through to recover if they ever do.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

People Like This 
Old 10-30-2013, 08:58 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5733 Times on 3359 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
A 14" Remington 870 with a 3+1 magazine will lose a lot of it's patterning at 20 yards so yes, it is possible that only a 1 or 2 pellets would make contact with your target. I would say your effective range with the 14" 870 would be at 10 yards and closer. I'm sure some on here will disagree with me but that's what opinions are for.
14"? That's pretty short for regular army, isn't it? I thought they got the Mossberg with the metal trigger guard M590 or something? Doesn't it usually come with the 18" barrel good for another couple of yards on the pattern?

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 10-30-2013, 09:01 PM   #9
CJx

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello View Post
14"? That's pretty short for regular army, isn't it? I thought they got the Mossberg with the metal trigger guard M590 or something? Doesn't it usually come with the 18" barrel good for another couple of yards on the pattern?
The game description for the weapon says 14". Also orange, I do not think a 14" inch barrel 870 would lose its pattern that drastically at 20 yards, I would say more like 50 yards from the videos I've watched, since longer barreled shotguns can hit man sized targets at 100 yards semi effectively. Would the army really employ a weapon that was only effective at such a short range? That would seem to be quite a crutch if a shotgun were only effective at 10 yards.

And seeing as the Army has access to premium ammunition and barrel chokes, and the time and resources to test the weapon system, I would think that they would have a shotgun that is effective out to at the least 35 yards, I would think 50 yards.

Last edited by CJx; 10-30-2013 at 09:04 PM.

Old 10-30-2013, 09:04 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3861 Times on 2305 Posts
Likes Given: 3233

I get a good 30 meters with my 590 Mariner with both 0 to 00 buck on paper targets. I take out fox at that max range too.