Shotgun tactical light
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > Shotgun tactical light

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-02-2010, 04:52 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Shotgun tactical light

I "think" I'm getting a H&R Pardner Pump from Santa. Can anyone suggest a reasonably-priced "tactical" flashlight rig to mount on it? I guess that ideally it would barrel mount and have an on-off pressure switch for near the grip.

Ideas/suggestions?

Thanks.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-03-2010, 12:21 AM   #2

Liked 23 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 6

It depends partially on what ammo you plan on shooting. My mossy and Saiga shoot nothing but 00 buck and I have not found a flashlight to withstand that recoil except ones intended for heavy recoil like the surefires and streamlights. Most of the others I have tried pretty much came apart after a couple of rounds.

"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind. Games played with the ball, and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be your constant companion of your walks."
Thomas Jefferson
From the great speaker...er uh Barak Obongo

"Liberals make great proctologists. They're the only ones who truly know what the inside of an anus looks like."~me

Old 12-05-2010, 06:22 AM   #3

I have a NcStar tube mount with just a cheapie led on my CD field tac. Its my HD and F around gun so it has bird to buck go through it and i have lost a bulb yet. Not to say it wont happen. it dosent have a pres switch though. Cheaperthandirt.com has some good deals on mounts and lights. here is a pic for reference.

pb180065-640x480-.jpg   pb180066-640x480-.jpg  

A person who owns a firearm is a free man,A person who dosen't is a slave to there Country.Think about it.

Old 12-07-2010, 06:30 PM   #4

Streamlight TLR1 series:

Streamlight TLR-1 Rail-Mounted Tactical Flashlight FREE UPS Streamlight TLR1 Weapon Tactical Flashlight C4 LED 69110 69111 69112

Tactical Gun Mount Series - TLR-1®s | Streamlight

Aim for the Thoracic Triangle area between the armpits and base of throat.

Old 12-08-2010, 01:51 AM   #5

For SD situations using heavy recoiling weapons a quality light is critical. Your life is worth an extra $25, so upgrade your thinking with a light from Streamlight or SureFire as DarinCraft suggested.

Optics Planet will deliver a powerful 160 lumen Streamlight TLR1S to your door for only $104.99 and their adjustable mount is $18.99. Prices might be lower in a week or two.

Streamlight TLR-1 Rail-Mounted Tactical Flashlight FREE UPS Streamlight TLR1 Weapon Tactical Flashlight C4 LED 69110 69111 69112

Streamlight Tactical Flashlight Mag Tube Rail Mount 69901. 69901. Streamlight Flashlight Accessories.

Old 12-08-2010, 02:22 AM   #6

If you want good info on different flashlights go here:

Flashlight Reviews and LED Modifications
I started here one week ago. Awesome place to find info and specs in any specific flashlight.

__I like the Surefire Flashlight forend. I bought one for my mossy 590.
SureFire 623FA Mossberg 590/500 Shotgun Forend Weaponlight w/ Momentary and Constant-On Switching, LED FREE S&H 623FA, 623LF. Surefire WeaponLight Flashlights, Surefire Flashlights.

This is a nice package also under $100.00

http://www.botachtactical.com/tlp2.html

standard.jpg
surefire-20618lf.jpg

Good luck.

Last edited by Bello; 12-08-2010 at 02:25 AM. Reason: adding

Old 12-08-2010, 02:32 PM   #7

Thanks for the ideas, folks.

Old 12-09-2010, 05:03 AM   #8

Good suggestions.

I found another light that was being demonstrated at a gun show and was wondering how I might mount it to my shotgun. It comes with a rail mount but I haven't seen too many shotguns with rails on them.

I have a Remington 870 and would prefer to mount the light as close to the end of the barrel as possible. Any ideas on solid mounts or a way to add a length of rail to the end of my shotgun?

I haven't bought the light yet but it looks pretty sweet and was only $50. The guys demo made it look much better than the typical surefire but I didn't buy it cause I want to make sure I can attach it to my shotgun first.

Old 12-09-2010, 05:28 AM   #9

Mounting the light close to or on the for-end is preferred for stability and quick / easy access to the light's controls.

Having a light near the end of the barrel has too many negative drawbacks to list.

You can either mount a Picatinny 1913 rail device at the end of the 870's magazine with the end-cap holding the bracket in place or use the adjustable setup in my earlier post (SureFire setup is the nicest, best setup, and most expensive):

http://images1.opticsplanet.com/750-500-ffffff/opplanet-streamlight-rem-870-tactical-mount-69906.jpg
Streamlight REM 870 Tactical Flashlight Mount 69906. 69906. Streamlight Flashlight Accessories.

Last edited by 147_Grain; 12-09-2010 at 05:30 AM.

Old 01-19-2011, 02:35 PM   #10

I bought a tactical light from Sportsmans Guide but it did not fit my Pardner Pump well and there was no easy way to mount the pressure switch.

Then I got to thinkin' -- and decided to try a simple experiment. The wife bought me several relatively cheap, metal, 9 LED flashlights that run off AAA batteries, with a pushbutton end cap to turn the light on/off. They are about an inch diameter and 3 - 4 inches long. I put a piece of black rubber shrink wrap around one of the lights (to act as a cushion and make it black), shrunk it tight, and then secured the light to the left side of the barrel and mag tube, just forward of the fore end, using black zip-ties and waxed string. I took it to the range and shot about a dozen rounds of buckshot and the light still worked like a charm and stayed put. I can easily press the on/off button with my left thumb while holding the gun. Cheap, simple, works for me.