You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion >

Shotgun survival adaptor

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-14-2016, 02:36 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 158 Times on 96 Posts
Likes Given: 158

Default Shotgun survival adaptor

Awsome, turns a single shot into a devastating survival gun. MSRP $499

http://www.tactical-life.com/gear/x-caliber-shotgun-gauge-adapter-system/

FL is the only state where you can buy any gun you want, but you can't shoot them.

Last edited by deathkricket; 05-14-2016 at 02:38 PM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-14-2016, 05:43 PM   #2

Liked 299 Times on 195 Posts
Likes Given: 2354

Interesting. I don't know how to feel about it though.

Old 05-14-2016, 06:00 PM   #3

Liked 1256 Times on 811 Posts
Likes Given: 310

Something to waste money on. The adapters that I have personally tried were very inaccurate. A novelty item at best. As always your views maybe different.

Old 05-14-2016, 06:10 PM   #4

The drop-in sleeves are 7 inches so you probably have roughly a six or five and a half inch barrel depending on the round. the sleeves are fully rifled for increased accuracy and they State they test them and while not as accurate as the original firearm are decently accurate. I bet they are probably good for 100 yards or so.

My opinion this is great for some one who can't afford a lot of firearms or maybe somewhere the law makes it not worth your time to buy more then on or two. And as always in a WROL sistuition it can be very very handy to shoot any ammunition you can salvage. It reminds me of The Book of Eli where the bandits on the high way say " is that thing loaded.....no...they never are.

FL is the only state where you can buy any gun you want, but you can't shoot them.

Last edited by deathkricket; 05-14-2016 at 06:16 PM.

Old 05-14-2016, 06:56 PM   #5
Administrator
FTF_ADMIN.png

Liked 15858 Times on 6591 Posts
Likes Given: 2582

For pistol ammo, not a problem. For the pressures with some rifle cartridges- like .308- the receiver of a shotgun is not designed or built to handle that pressure. Pressures of a shotshell are MUCH lower.

Please note that some of the pressure WILL go to the rear. Which is why you can't just put a rifle barrel on an H&R shotgun receiver.
People Like This 
Old 05-14-2016, 08:38 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
For pistol ammo, not a problem. For the pressures with some rifle cartridges- like .308- the receiver of a shotgun is not designed or built to handle that pressure. Pressures of a shotshell are MUCH lower.

Please note that some of the pressure WILL go to the rear. Which is why you can't just put a rifle barrel on an H&R shotgun receiver.
Do you think that a short "barrel" length of 7" would prevent the progressive burn nature of smokless powder from building to much more of a extent with a rifle calibure then say the preassure a 12ga builds while running the full length of the barrel in terms of case blow by ? Given you will only recive minimum blow by of the shell casing I think your main problem would be the 308 shell casing stamping into the breach face of single shot with maybe lower quality metulergy.

Last edited by deathkricket; 05-14-2016 at 08:49 PM.

Old 05-14-2016, 09:28 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 953 Times on 568 Posts
Likes Given: 1689

I think it is not cost effective. It might work for a person living way off the grid that depended on salvaged ammo? The folks on the TV program "The Boonies"? I also agree with C3Shooter about the 308 pressure being excessive for an old single shot.
kfox75 Likes This 
Old 05-14-2016, 10:39 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6076 Times on 3570 Posts
Likes Given: 30423

I myself feel it would be a much better deal to pick up a used H&R\NEF Handi-Rifle in .308 or .45-70, and SBR it*. At that point, buy a used shotgun and .22 LR barrel pair, and cut them down to 12 to 14 inches as well, and have them fit to the receiver of the Handi-Rifle. This way, you will have properly crowned muzzels, sights, and a nice compact option, that will allow you to get the best accuracy out of that system, as well as optics mounting options.

*(Note: Check NFA Laws to make sure you can legally add the other two barrels, as you may need additional Tax Stamps for each. Also, check your local and state laws.)

IMHO, that would be a far better way to waste about $700 all in. It would also better serve you in a survival situation.

I may live in the North, but I still uphold the Southern Values I was raised with.

lifetime member. NAHC, NRA, And SCOPE NY

If it's a nice enough day to wash the bike, it's d@mn well also a nice enough day to be riding it instead.

Old 05-21-2016, 04:02 AM   #9
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 4794 Times on 2618 Posts
Likes Given: 1490

I bought a 5" 20 gauge to 9mm Luger adapter to try out. Accuracy is marginal unless the sights are set specifically for it. At 10 yards it shoots close to point of aim then it keeps on climbing. At 25 yards it was over a foot high. I tried rotating it to no avail. I can do better with a pistol. I have seen some good targets turned in at 50 yards but a red dot adjusted for the adapter was used. You need 2 sets of sights. A Savage 24 would be more useful. I saw one the other day in 223/20 gauge in very nice condition for $460.
The single shot 12 gauge shotguns are not fun to shoot unless you are a recoil junky. I dont need a detached retina. I have 2 12's and much prefer the 20 gauge. You can carry more 20 than 12 and 410 is even lighter. Unless you are in bear country, a 410 would make a good survival firearm. A 3" 1/4 oz (124 grain) slug @ 1700 fps is quite a bit hotter than a 357 magnum 125 grain from a 4" barrel. With proper loads you could take anything from squirrel to deer and you can carry quite a few of them.

Last edited by JTJ; 05-21-2016 at 04:06 AM.

Old 05-21-2016, 04:15 AM   #10
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 4794 Times on 2618 Posts
Likes Given: 1490

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfox75 View Post
I myself feel it would be a much better deal to pick up a used H&R\NEF Handi-Rifle in .308 or .45-70, and SBR it*. At that point, buy a used shotgun and .22 LR barrel pair, and cut them down to 12 to 14 inches as well, and have them fit to the receiver of the Handi-Rifle. This way, you will have properly crowned muzzels, sights, and a nice compact option, that will allow you to get the best accuracy out of that system, as well as optics mounting options.

*(Note: Check NFA Laws to make sure you can legally add the other two barrels, as you may need additional Tax Stamps for each. Also, check your local and state laws.)

IMHO, that would be a far better way to waste about $700 all in. It would also better serve you in a survival situation.
I have an H&R in 357 cut down to 16.5" with iron sights and a red dot. The 357 gains 300-400 fps in the longer barrel and maxes out at 16-17". 38 spl will come up to 357 handgun velocities. I take it and a 357 revolver when I am out in the boonies. A 44 Mag pair would work also.
kfox75 Likes This