Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > shotgun slugs

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-22-2012, 05:37 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 107 Times on 86 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chloeshooter
I think 75 yards is a stretch with a smooth bore barrel - I would keep it under 50 yds for hunting deer, that would be the humane thing to do.
I've killed quite a few deer around the 100 yard mark with a smooth bore gun ...2 years ago I killed a doe at a ranged 134 yards with a benelli nova smooth bore barrel with a factory modified choke tube shooting winchester super x 1 oz slugs....as long as you practice that far and know how your gun shoots it can be done easily

Old 10-22-2012, 07:06 PM   #12

Liked 1428 Times on 782 Posts
Likes Given: 307

Quote:
Originally Posted by akers06 View Post
I've killed quite a few deer around the 100 yard mark with a smooth bore gun ...2 years ago I killed a doe at a ranged 134 yards with a benelli nova smooth bore barrel with a factory modified choke tube shooting winchester super x 1 oz slugs....as long as you practice that far and know how your gun shoots it can be done easily
I think that is exceptional, rather than normal, shooting for smooth bores w/ slugs. I am sure I will hear from all of the good shooters now lol.

Where I live (Minnesota), the typical shotgun deer shot is < 70 yards. I have watched guys at the range with rifled barrels make nice patterns at 100 yards, not so much with the smooth bores though. I'd say if you can't get all your slug shots inside a 9" circle at 100 yards, you have no business taking a shot at a deer. That's just my opinion

Old 10-22-2012, 11:55 PM   #13

Liked 44 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 218

Here where I live, we can only hunt with slug guns or muzzleloaders so I know a fair bit on the subject as well. For hunting, there is no reason to go with 3 inch. They kick harder and offer almost no additional performance. In fact, the often perform worse. As for which slugs to choose, it depends on your barrel. If your barrel is rifled I would look at Hornady SST's, Federal Fusions, or Remington Copper solids. There's also a slew of other good options. If you have a smoothbore barrel which I'm almost sure you do, I would look at Federal Tru Balls, Remington Sluggers, Winchester Super X or Brenneke Classic Magnums.

As for which gun to get, get whatever feels best. The difference in forearm feel has already been explained above. I will say that the 870's quality has dropped a lot in recent years. If it were me, I'd get the mossberg, but like I said, get what feels best.

Woe to those who make unjust laws and to those who issue oppressive decrees. -Isaiah 10:1

Blaming guns for death is like blaming forks for obesity

Old 10-23-2012, 01:02 AM   #14

Liked 1691 Times on 1027 Posts
Likes Given: 354

Pretty sure the OP said that they were NOT going to use these for hunting. The 2 3/4" shells would be fine for any defensive shooting. You get extra bulk, extra weight and a reduced number of shells in the mag of a dedicated defensive gun when using the longer shells. Not much advantage up close to outweigh the payload and recoil issues at defensive ranges. Also the longer shells can be harder to manipulate under stress for reloads, buck to slug changeover or port loading.

2 3/4" shells are usually easier to find in a local store and at better prices as well.

Old 10-23-2012, 01:05 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmaster456
Here where I live, we can only hunt with slug guns or muzzleloaders so I know a fair bit on the subject as well. For hunting, there is no reason to go with 3 inch. They kick harder and offer almost no additional performance. In fact, the often perform worse. As for which slugs to choose, it depends on your barrel. If your barrel is rifled I would look at Hornady SST's, Federal Fusions, or Remington Copper solids. There's also a slew of other good options. If you have a smoothbore barrel which I'm almost sure you do, I would look at Federal Tru Balls, Remington Sluggers, Winchester Super X or Brenneke Classic Magnums.

As for which gun to get, get whatever feels best. The difference in forearm feel has already been explained above. I will say that the 870's quality has dropped a lot in recent years. If it were me, I'd get the mossberg, but like I said, get what feels best.
I agree 100% 3" slugs are way overrated

Old 10-23-2012, 01:12 AM   #16

Liked 44 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 218

Quote:
Originally Posted by chloeshooter View Post
I think that is exceptional, rather than normal, shooting for smooth bores w/ slugs. I am sure I will hear from all of the good shooters now lol.

Where I live (Minnesota), the typical shotgun deer shot is < 70 yards. I have watched guys at the range with rifled barrels make nice patterns at 100 yards, not so much with the smooth bores though. I'd say if you can't get all your slug shots inside a 9" circle at 100 yards, you have no business taking a shot at a deer. That's just my opinion
It doesn't take much practice to get shots in a 9 inch circle at 100 yards. Smoothbore or not.

Woe to those who make unjust laws and to those who issue oppressive decrees. -Isaiah 10:1

Blaming guns for death is like blaming forks for obesity

Old 10-23-2012, 02:31 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by chloeshooter

If you can't get all of your shots in a 9 inch circle at 100 yards you need to get a different gun or get shooting lessons

Old 10-23-2012, 02:47 AM   #18

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I think Akers and Old crow, got their points. So I'm going to get some of both. tHE 1.25 OZ behind 3" sounds nice. And Walmart has sluggers in 2 3/4 for under a buck apiece. Thanks SSGN DOC for stopping the dear hunt.
Also, thanks for all the info on the non-rifled slugs, this helped me out.

Old 10-23-2012, 03:11 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzychapstick
I think Akers and Old crow, got their points. So I'm going to get some of both. tHE 1.25 OZ behind 3" sounds nice. And Walmart has sluggers in 2 3/4 for under a buck apiece. Thanks SSGN DOC for stopping the dear hunt.
Also, thanks for all the info on the non-rifled slugs, this helped me out.
Glad we could help ol bud

Old 10-24-2012, 02:50 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old_Crow

Akers I wish we could make it happen. I really like you. I have made a lot of posts here and I have never hyped any product. For years I have shot Breneke slugs. I do shoot Super X slugs on deer drives. We all are lined up 80 to 100 yards apart. No need for more... I wouldn't be hyping the XP3 unless I was getting performance like I have never seen out of any slug.
I've got a winchester 1300 with a rifled barrel I usually shoot hornady sst or the federal barnes slugs but I will try the xp3s and see how they do out of my gun