shotgun slugs
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > shotgun slugs

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-22-2012, 07:24 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default shotgun slugs

I'm going to get some 12 gauge rifled slugs. I don't want to spend alot of money. It seems alot of people buy 2 3/4 shells. I don't know why? Are they more accurate than 3". These are the three choices I've come up with. They are all close in price.
1. Federal Powershok 3" w/ a 1.25 oz shot. - blue box
2. Winchester super x 3" w/ a 1 oz shot - silver box
3. Remington 3" 7/8 oz shot
- if 2 3/4 is better, theres the truball slugger.

Anyone ever shoot and compare these on accuracy? I'm not sure which ones to get. Seems theres a big difference from a 7/8 oz slug from a 1 1/4 oz slug. Does anyone of these three have more powder or a hotter shell?
Seems the idea of shooting slugs is to destroy what your shooting. So what advantages or disavantages do you guys see in the three I listed. I'm almost leaning towards the heavier slug, seems a 1.25 oz slug would do more damage but I may be missing something. I'm not going deer hunting. Clue me in if I am. thanks

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-22-2012, 10:34 AM   #2

Liked 346 Times on 222 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I've only fired slugs once and it was maybe two or three of them. I couldn't tell you what length or type they where at all though since it was the first time I ever fired a 12gauge and was just happy to of found someone who would let me shoot there's. but the only reason I can come up with as to why people usually buy a 2 3/4" shell is for the lesser felt recoil. Wether or not this is indeed the reasoning, I can't tell you for sure. Just my way of thinking.

Old 10-22-2012, 11:37 AM   #3

Liked 2049 Times on 1072 Posts
Likes Given: 392

Are you using a rifled barrel? Rifled choke tube? Smooth bore?

I believe sabots are the way to go w/ a rifled barrel. That's for accuracy ie deer hunting. If you are just shotgun plinking, I'd buy the cheapest ones available......

Last edited by chloeshooter; 10-22-2012 at 11:39 AM.

Old 10-22-2012, 12:14 PM   #4

Liked 107 Times on 86 Posts

I live in Ohio and that's all we can deer hunt with is a slug gun so I know a little bit on this subject.....I would go with the 2 3/4" over the 3" because they are more accurate and kick less I never have been able to get a good group out of any gun shooting the 3" slugs and I prefer the 1oz slug because they hit hard enough to do a lot of damage but they still shoot good up to 100+ yards with reasonable drop.....as far as brands I would try the winchester super x's or the federal slugs and see which shoots better out of your gun. I have never had any remington slugs shoot worth a crap in my opinion they are junk.....hope I helped you out a little

Old 10-22-2012, 12:48 PM   #5

Liked 134 Times on 109 Posts
Likes Given: 43

My Mossberg 500 loves the Winchester XP3 sabots. They are lighter than any of the slugs you have listed (375 grains). I do have rifled barrel. My gun is not picky about ammo out to around 75 yards. It shoots plain rifled slugs just as well as sabots. Where the sabots shine is at longer ranges. I have tested the 375 gr sabots at around 150 yards and they do as well as a lot of well made rifles. A friend was was sighting in a 300 mag Howa with a nice Leopold scope. He was shooting tighter groups but he wasn't embarrassing me.

Adding a scope really helps with a shotgun. The stock Williams sights on the Mossberg slug barrel are a challenge to set properly. I finally gave up on them and installed a 2.5x fixed power scope.

3" slugs are far superior to 2 3/4" slugs. The 3" slug has much more velocity than a 2 3/4 slugs. It's the same thing with buckshot. People buy 2 3/4" buckshot with 9, 00 pellets. 3" super x buckshot have 15, 00 pellets. I don't know if they are to tight to pay a premium price for 3" shells or they never took a moment to read the box.

"I do not aim with my hand; I aim with my eye. He who aims with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I do not shoot with my hand; I shoot with my mind. He who shoots with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I do not kill with my gun; I kill with my heart. He who kills with his gun has forgotten the face of his father."

Adopt a pet!! http://www.aspca.org/ Some of the finest pleasure horses come from here: http://www.canterusa.org/

Last edited by Old_Crow; 10-22-2012 at 12:57 PM.

Old 10-22-2012, 01:55 PM   #6

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

well thanks, I have a full choke browning, but anticipate on buying either a moss 500 real quick here or a 870, either in a smooth bore. I'm kinda favoring the way a moss feels, but think a 870 may be a lil better built. I got this hunch california is going to outlaw lead bullets after the election, so I need to buy now. Glad to hear someone likes 3". Velosity makes sense. One guy says they may be less accurate. Do you think a 1 oz will shoot much flatter than 1 1/4 oz? Seems the heavier one will do more destruction though. Keep your opinions coming please.

Old 10-22-2012, 02:05 PM   #7

Liked 134 Times on 109 Posts
Likes Given: 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzychapstick View Post
well thanks, I have a full choke browning, but anticipate on buying either a moss 500 real quick here or a 870, either in a smooth bore. I'm kinda favoring the way a moss feels, but think a 870 may be a lil better built. I got this hunch california is going to outlaw lead bullets after the election, so I need to buy now. Glad to hear someone likes 3". Velosity makes sense. One guy says they may be less accurate. Do you think a 1 oz will shoot much flatter than 1 1/4 oz? Seems the heavier one will do more destruction though. Keep your opinions coming please.
The Remington feels like it's better built because the rods on the slide are welded, so the forearm doesn't wiggle. The Mossberg is riveted so the forearm does wiggle. There was a time when the 870 was better built but those days passed about 30 years ago with the introduction of the express models. In today's market I would buy the gun that feels best. I shoot a lot and I have never had a Mossberg fail and you can keep the wood stock in pristine condition with Old English scratch remover. Old English just beads up on the Remington, suggesting a cheapo acrylic finish.

"I do not aim with my hand; I aim with my eye. He who aims with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I do not shoot with my hand; I shoot with my mind. He who shoots with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I do not kill with my gun; I kill with my heart. He who kills with his gun has forgotten the face of his father."

Adopt a pet!! http://www.aspca.org/ Some of the finest pleasure horses come from here: http://www.canterusa.org/

Old 10-22-2012, 02:30 PM   #8
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2104 Times on 1152 Posts
Likes Given: 629

The 3" will have a lot more recoil. Pad your shoulder when you sight in with either. Personally I think the 3" are overkill and not worth the extra recoil or expense.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
I am not older than dirt but the rocks were bigger and there were more of them when I was a kid.

Old 10-22-2012, 04:07 PM   #9

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I assume you want to hunt whitetail deer. At what ranges do you think your target will be?
You do not state your experience level, especially with shotguns.
Smooth barrel slugs are fine out to 75 yards and the 2 3/4 inch slugs especially Trueball slugs will surely do the job.
If you get a barrel with choke tubes you can bird/small game hunt also.
The 3 inch slugs do have a very noticeable increase in recoil.
A rifled barrel can only shoot sabot slugs and are superior to smooth bore slugs in range BUT you have a dedicated barrel.
I would suggest a smooth bore barrel with choke tubes. Shoot 2 3/4 inch reduced recoil slugs at paper plates at 50 yards. When you can put all your shots into the plate go to full charge 2 3/4 loads.
ACCURACY AND SHOT PLACEMENT IS MORE IMPORTANT THAN SLUG VELOCITY
It will be of great help if you have a coach as a shotgun can quickly develop a flinch.
A low power scope or red dot will be a great help

Just some thoughts

montveil in the NC mountains
Salute
All persons present in uniform should render the military salute. Members of the armed forces and veterans who are present but not in uniform may render the military salute. All other persons present should face the flag and stand at attention with their right hand over the heart, or if applicable, remove their headdress with their right hand and hold it at the left shoulder, the hand being over the heart.

Old 10-22-2012, 05:01 PM   #10

Liked 2049 Times on 1072 Posts
Likes Given: 392

I think 75 yards is a stretch with a smooth bore barrel - I would keep it under 50 yds for hunting deer, that would be the humane thing to do.