Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Shotgun Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f26/)
-   -   Shotgun Slings (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f26/shotgun-slings-1723/)

Rez 08-16-2007 04:27 PM

Shotgun Slings

Do you sling your shotgun? I have heard it decreases time that you have to shoot if birds suddenly fly up. Others say that it is too annoying not to have a sling. What are your opinions? Are there any safety hazards that accompany the attachment of a sling?

robocop10mm 08-16-2007 05:11 PM

Shotgun Slings

For bird hunting, I do not sling my shotgun. I want it ready for fast action. For tactical situations a sling is invaluable. Setting your long gun down to transition to a hand gun or go hands on would be a really bad idea.

tomdpayne 09-04-2008 01:30 PM

Shotgun Sling

If you are a waterfowl hunter and need to carry decoys, shell bag, Thermos, and other necessary acoutrements to the blind a sling is a good thing.
Remove it before shooting time. When you throw your gun to your shoulder it will invaribly land on top of the barrel and block your view

orangello 07-07-2009 07:15 PM

I'd like to add a question to this related thread.
What kind of sling for a home defense shotty? My old Mossy has a new stock that came with an attachment point for a sling. It happened to be the same kind as on a stock i removed from my SKS. The sling that came with the SKS won't fit the new SKS stock (tapco).

The former SKS sling will fit the nub on the new shotgun stock nicely, but i don't want a semi-loose loop of sling around the shell tube on the shotty. How should the front end get slung? Is there some nifty attachment i haven't yet found to ensure free operation of the pump mechanism on ole Mossy?

No, i don't plan on trooping around the woods with the short barrel on the Mossy, but i don't have another use for the sling or the nub. :o

matt g 07-07-2009 07:25 PM

I carry a shotgun in a 'ready arms' position while hunting upland game birds. It keeps the muzzle in a safe direction and allows for quick reaction. it also just feel comfortable.

Once quail are on the wing, they're gone, quick reaction is important.

Shotgun Shooter 07-07-2009 09:13 PM

I do not have a sling on either shotgun. I do have a sling on my 22LR, though. Not sure why.

S.S.

masterPsmith 07-07-2009 11:46 PM

If you use a sling in the field while bird hunting, you won't bring home many birds and your family won't eat.:(:(

Shotgun Shooter 07-08-2009 01:41 AM

I think most people who use slings on shotguns who have a far distance to walk with something else in their hand. A blind, tree stand, decoys etc.
I however never felt the need for a sling.

S.S.

c3shooter 07-08-2009 02:00 AM

Ever try to drag a deer with your shotgun held in your teeth?

My sxs's and O/U's have no slings, but the pumps and autos do.

IGETEVEN 07-08-2009 02:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robocop10mm (Post 6661)
For bird hunting, I do not sling my shotgun. I want it ready for fast action. For tactical situations a sling is invaluable. Setting your long gun down to transition to a hand gun or go hands on would be a really bad idea.

Indeed, I concur.

Quote:

Originally Posted by c3shooter (Post 126225)
Ever try to drag a deer with your shotgun held in your teeth?

My sxs's and O/U's have no slings, but the pumps and autos do.

Good point, but I have never had the privilege to shot a deer with a shotgun, only 30.06 or .308.