Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Shotgun Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f26/)
-   -   Shotgun Sights! (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f26/shotgun-sights-48614/)

PowerViolence 09-22-2011 05:34 PM

Shotgun Sights!

Hello!
I am looking for a good set of sights for my Mossberg500. I'm using the stock bead at the moment. Originally I wanted a ghost ring sighting system but after realizing the sight it self is almost $100 then another $100 for a gunsmith to silver solder it on there... I even considered buying the Mossberg 590A1 barrel that comes installed with the front ghost ring, but soon realized that was pretty hard to come by.
So I am looking for a set of rifle sights or fibre optic that install on a mossberg 500. I have found a few here in there on impactguns and brownells, but I would like some of your opinions. Preferably a set of dights that does not require major gun smithing.

Snakedriver 09-22-2011 06:41 PM

Consider going with some tritium sights like this. The day/night feature is something you'll really like. These will screw right into your Mossberg 500's barrel. Just use a dab of blue Locktite and you'll be good to go.

TRITIUM SHOTGUN SIGHT - Brownells

This one is nice too:

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=6846/Product/TRU_DOT_DAY_NIGHT_SHOTGUN_BEAD

Axxe55 09-23-2011 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snakedriver (Post 584443)
Consider going with some tritium sights like this. The day/night feature is something you'll really like. These will screw right into your Mossberg 500's barrel. Just use a dab of blue Locktite and you'll be good to go.

TRITIUM SHOTGUN SIGHT - Brownells

This one is nice too:

TRU-DOT DAY/NIGHT SHOTGUN BEAD - Brownells

Snake, i've got a winchester SXP defender, do you know if these would work on it? i am kinda in the same situation too. also what would you suggest for a rear sight as mine has nothing?

dks7895 09-23-2011 01:41 PM

It depends on how you plan to use your Mossberg 500. Personally I really like the Mossberg 500 dual bead setup.

Snakedriver 09-23-2011 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by axxe55 (Post 585009)
Snake, i've got a winchester SXP defender, do you know if these would work on it? i am kinda in the same situation too. also what would you suggest for a rear sight as mine has nothing?

Sadly, I don't have any idea. I only have experience with Remingtons and Mossbergs, i have no idea what kind of set-up Winchesters have. It also matters whether you are attaching the new sights to the barrel or a ventilated rib on the barrel. Tritium sights are available for all set-ups and thread pitches in the major brands, I just don't have any idea what the Winchesters have. Someone will come along for soon that can say though.

As far as as rear sights, IMO they are not needed. Shotguns are point and shoot. :cool:

Axxe55 09-24-2011 07:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snakedriver (Post 585044)
Sadly, I don't have any idea. I only have experience with Remingtons and Mossbergs, i have no idea what kind of set-up Winchesters have. It also matters whether you are attaching the new sights to the barrel or a ventilated rib on the barrel. Tritium sights are available for all set-ups and thread pitches in the major brands, I just don't have any idea what the Winchesters have. Someone will come along for soon that can say though.

As far as as rear sights, IMO they are not needed. Shotguns are point and shoot. :cool:

thanks snake. i will just study on this untill i figure it out. point and shoot, huh! as i get older, my eyesight gets worse, and i need all the help i can get!

ninjatoth 09-24-2011 12:52 PM

You might even save money and frustration by getting a whole new barrel with the sights you want on it,usually fixed choke barrels with sights are about $150

303tom 09-24-2011 01:56 PM

Eotech 512.A65 / 1 Holographic Sight, Scopes, E O Tech at Sportsman's Guide

Snakedriver 09-24-2011 02:04 PM

1 Attachment(s)
BTW, I use the XS "Big Dot" tritium sight on my Rem. 870. It is epoxied in-place over the pressed-fit bead sight that comes on the front pedistal of the Rem. shotguns. It gives excellent visibility for day and night which allows for superb accuracy.

PowerViolence 09-25-2011 10:51 PM

is that tritium sight just a replacement bead? I really want a dual sighting system. I'm really drawn toward rifle like sights.