shotgun shell question?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > shotgun shell question?

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-03-2012, 08:52 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
shooter88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 558
Liked 38 Times on 28 Posts

Default shotgun shell question?

My question is ive been shooting 12gauge 3" 00buck MAGNUM shells out of my shotguns... a small gunshop owner that does chl classes told me today that unless my gun says it will shoot magnum shells it may explode?? I thought it didnt matter wether or not it was a magnum as long as the shell is what the shotgun is chambered for?(of course it wont fit if its not chambered for that size round) I do have a 12gauge "magnum" atleast thats what they call it cause it shoots up to 31/2" shells so idk if thats what hes thinking im shooting cause surely he knows a 31/2" shell wont fit in a regular shotgun...So anyways all the input u guys can give me will be greatly appreciated cause now im scared to shoot the expensive shells i bought lol

__________________
shooter88 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here


Old 07-03-2012, 08:54 PM   #2
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
shooter88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 558
Liked 38 Times on 28 Posts

Default

The shotgun ive been shooting these rounds out of does not say it will shoot magums like the guy says it has to say in order to shoot them. Ive shot them out of regular pumps and single shot 12 gauges

__________________
shooter88 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 09:38 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
locutus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 9,121
Liked 5538 Times on 3134 Posts
Likes Given: 4818

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shooter88 View Post
The shotgun ive been shooting these rounds out of does not say it will shoot magums like the guy says it has to say in order to shoot them. Ive shot them out of regular pumps and single shot 12 gauges
If the barrel is stamped 3 inch, it's safe with 3 inch.
__________________
“We sleep safely at night because rough men stand ready to visit violence on those who would harm us.”


Winston Churchill
locutus is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 10:35 PM   #4
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Virginian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Evangeline,Louisiana
Posts: 812
Liked 129 Times on 99 Posts

Default

3" and 3-1/2" are Magnums, by definition, whether they have it printed on them or not.

__________________

What could have happened... did.

Virginian is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 11:14 PM   #5
Moderator
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
c3shooter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Third bunker on the right,Central Virginia
Posts: 16,576
Liked 8744 Times on 3779 Posts
Likes Given: 1341

Default

Problem is- a shotgun chambered for 2 3/4 shells (non magnum) will chamber and fire (not safely) a 3 inch (magnum). I think the instructor's point- use the ammo the gun was meant to use. If it says 3 inch, use 2 3/4 or 3. If it say 3 1/2, use any 12 g. If it is not marked other than 12 g, use only 2 3/4 shells.

__________________

<--- Your Moderators at our weekly Troll Hunt

c3shooter is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 11:23 PM   #6
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
shooter88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 558
Liked 38 Times on 28 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter
Problem is- a shotgun chambered for 2 3/4 shells (non magnum) will chamber and fire (not safely) a 3 inch (magnum). I think the instructor's point- use the ammo the gun was meant to use. If it says 3 inch, use 2 3/4 or 3. If it say 3 1/2, use any 12 g. If it is not marked other than 12 g, use only 2 3/4 shells.
Thats what im saying...u cant fit a shell in a gun bigger then what its chambered for. I shoot 3" 00buck magnum out of guns that r chambered for up to 3" shells and this guy is telling me that it doesnt matter u cant shoot them if it doesnt say magnum stamped in tge side of your barrell it will blow up cause the magnums r so much more powerfull
__________________
shooter88 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 12:31 AM   #7
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
dragunovsks's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: West of Louisville KY,Indiana
Posts: 2,309
Liked 201 Times on 138 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shooter88

Thats what im saying...u cant fit a shell in a gun bigger then what its chambered for. I shoot 3" 00buck magnum out of guns that r chambered for up to 3" shells and this guy is telling me that it doesnt matter u cant shoot them if it doesnt say magnum stamped in tge side of your barrell it will blow up cause the magnums r so much more powerfull
Hes full of crap, maybe he was trying to sell you something.
__________________

Century Arms AR-15A2, 5.56
1946 Mosin-Nagant M44, 7.62x54R
1978 YUGO SKS, 7.62x39
NEF Protector Pump, 12 gauge
Savage Model 64, .22LR
NEF Pardner Tracker II, 12 gauge
Rock Island Armory 1911A1, .45 ACP
Remington 870 'Express Magnum' 12 gauge
Bersa Thunder .380

dragunovsks is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 12:45 AM   #8
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
shooter88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 558
Liked 38 Times on 28 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragunovsks

Hes full of crap, maybe he was trying to sell you something.
Idk man thats y im trying to ask experts so i know for sure
__________________
shooter88 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 03:45 AM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
locutus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 9,121
Liked 5538 Times on 3134 Posts
Likes Given: 4818

Default

I never trust anyhing that some guy in a local gun store tells me, unless I know him very well.

This guy is full of it.

__________________
“We sleep safely at night because rough men stand ready to visit violence on those who would harm us.”


Winston Churchill
locutus is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 03:53 AM   #10
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
shooter88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 558
Liked 38 Times on 28 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by locutus
I never trust anyhing that some guy in a local gun store tells me, unless I know him very well.

This guy is full of it.
This is true but i had to think what if hes right cause he might know since hes qualified to give chl classes...idk he doesnt make sence
__________________
shooter88 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
Shotgun shell holder coltbic General Shotgun Discussion 16 07-04-2012 03:54 AM
Shotgun and shell break down deathkricket General Shotgun Discussion 0 03-15-2011 06:24 AM
Moron shotgun shell question SoL General Shotgun Discussion 4 01-18-2010 10:37 AM
Shotgun Shell Reloading HoundDog General Shotgun Discussion 2 10-10-2007 12:02 PM