Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Shotgun Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f26/)
-   -   shotgun shell question? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f26/shotgun-shell-question-67565/)

shooter88 07-03-2012 08:52 PM

shotgun shell question?

My question is ive been shooting 12gauge 3" 00buck MAGNUM shells out of my shotguns... a small gunshop owner that does chl classes told me today that unless my gun says it will shoot magnum shells it may explode?? I thought it didnt matter wether or not it was a magnum as long as the shell is what the shotgun is chambered for?(of course it wont fit if its not chambered for that size round) I do have a 12gauge "magnum" atleast thats what they call it cause it shoots up to 31/2" shells so idk if thats what hes thinking im shooting cause surely he knows a 31/2" shell wont fit in a regular shotgun...So anyways all the input u guys can give me will be greatly appreciated cause now im scared to shoot the expensive shells i bought lol

shooter88 07-03-2012 08:54 PM

The shotgun ive been shooting these rounds out of does not say it will shoot magums like the guy says it has to say in order to shoot them. Ive shot them out of regular pumps and single shot 12 gauges

locutus 07-03-2012 09:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shooter88 (Post 857759)
The shotgun ive been shooting these rounds out of does not say it will shoot magums like the guy says it has to say in order to shoot them. Ive shot them out of regular pumps and single shot 12 gauges

If the barrel is stamped 3 inch, it's safe with 3 inch.

Virginian 07-03-2012 10:35 PM

3" and 3-1/2" are Magnums, by definition, whether they have it printed on them or not.

c3shooter 07-03-2012 11:14 PM

Problem is- a shotgun chambered for 2 3/4 shells (non magnum) will chamber and fire (not safely) a 3 inch (magnum). I think the instructor's point- use the ammo the gun was meant to use. If it says 3 inch, use 2 3/4 or 3. If it say 3 1/2, use any 12 g. If it is not marked other than 12 g, use only 2 3/4 shells.

shooter88 07-03-2012 11:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by c3shooter
Problem is- a shotgun chambered for 2 3/4 shells (non magnum) will chamber and fire (not safely) a 3 inch (magnum). I think the instructor's point- use the ammo the gun was meant to use. If it says 3 inch, use 2 3/4 or 3. If it say 3 1/2, use any 12 g. If it is not marked other than 12 g, use only 2 3/4 shells.

Thats what im saying...u cant fit a shell in a gun bigger then what its chambered for. I shoot 3" 00buck magnum out of guns that r chambered for up to 3" shells and this guy is telling me that it doesnt matter u cant shoot them if it doesnt say magnum stamped in tge side of your barrell it will blow up cause the magnums r so much more powerfull

dragunovsks 07-04-2012 12:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shooter88

Thats what im saying...u cant fit a shell in a gun bigger then what its chambered for. I shoot 3" 00buck magnum out of guns that r chambered for up to 3" shells and this guy is telling me that it doesnt matter u cant shoot them if it doesnt say magnum stamped in tge side of your barrell it will blow up cause the magnums r so much more powerfull

Hes full of crap, maybe he was trying to sell you something.

shooter88 07-04-2012 12:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dragunovsks

Hes full of crap, maybe he was trying to sell you something.

Idk man thats y im trying to ask experts so i know for sure

locutus 07-04-2012 03:45 AM

I never trust anyhing that some guy in a local gun store tells me, unless I know him very well.

This guy is full of it.:(

shooter88 07-04-2012 03:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by locutus
I never trust anyhing that some guy in a local gun store tells me, unless I know him very well.

This guy is full of it.:(

This is true but i had to think what if hes right cause he might know since hes qualified to give chl classes...idk he doesnt make sence