Shotgun Scabbards or shotgun rigs or....
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > Shotgun Scabbards or shotgun rigs or....

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-12-2011, 02:22 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 73 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Shotgun Scabbards or shotgun rigs or....

Hi All!!!!

I've finally decided to stop buying GUNS and start buying THINGS for my guns. Im very bad at having any number of magazines, or any supply of ammo. I just recently got a drag bag where i could chuck a few rifles and a ton of ammo if I needed to hit the road, so that was a step in the right direction and got me thinking about a rig to carry my rifles and ammo.

Starting off with a shotgun setup.

I have a benelli supernova tactical hoobajoo that I picked up a while ago because it was on sale...as seen here:

I love the sights, and that she can handle 2 3/4, 3, AND 3.5" shells. Shoots great and super reliable. I think I've cleaned it once? It will eventually wear a 2 round extended mag.

Regardless, thats the shotty I'm working with, at least for the time being. I looked into side saddles, and shell-holder slings, but realized that'll make the actual gun kinda heavy, and more bulky, etc, especially seeing as I'm a lefty.

Not that the shotgun is going to be my main weapon of choice, but given the versatility of the thing it'll be nice to have a "Grab and go" package for this. Does anybody else have a similar setup?

Here's the plan....

I picked up a shotgun scabbard today on the cheap, and this got the gears turning.

I just ordered 3 MOLLE compatible 6 shell panels (18 shells) and 1 small MOLLE pouch to go on the face of the scabbard. The pouch will contain the minimal tools needed to strip this thing, and maybe a boresnake and some oil.

I also ordered a 15 shell holding sling, to replace the generic strap on the scabbard.

I figure this will give me 33 shells, of various flavors (most likely outfitted with 75% OO buck, and then some slugs), as well as anything needed to pull the shotgun apart in the event of an issue or a necessary cleaning.

All without having anything on my person.

Does this sound like a reasonable grab-n-go setup? Does anybody have a similar system in place? I think of it like a bug out bag for just 1 gun, that can be grabbed in addition to my actual BOB, or could be tossed to a friend or my girl (she'd likely get the 9mm carbine though).

Andrew - Landscape architecture student. Not landscaper

Last edited by Dr. Marneaus; 10-12-2011 at 02:25 AM.
axxe55 Likes This 

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-12-2011, 05:57 AM   #2
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21697 Times on 12308 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

sounds like an excellent idea. i like where you're going with this. i might have to try it out myself. where did you find the scabbard at?

Old 10-12-2011, 12:42 PM   #3

Liked 52 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 59

I think you have a good idea. A friend got a shotgun scabbard a while back and we found out that you can't get the shotgun in it with a side saddle attached. Also, if you have an optic or flashlight it probably wouldn't work then, either. Good thinking on having a bore snake with it. Maybe a small container of CLP along with the oil, too.

Join the NRA! Stop the Brady madness!

Old 10-12-2011, 12:44 PM   #4

Liked 39 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 37

i have the same scabbard for my mossberg 500. i like it a lot. i'm about to take it to the backwoods this weekend and see how well it fairs. there's bears out there, so we arent screwing around lol. mine is in ACU digital thoug.....i ordered olive drab and they sent digital

Remington 700P (suppressed) - .308
Norinco SKS - 7.62x39
Mossberg 500 - 12 ga.
Savage FV64 - .22
Marlin Model 60 - .22 PARTS FOR SALE
EAA Witness P - 9mm
AR15 - 5.56/.223
AR15 SPR - 5.56/.223

Old 10-12-2011, 04:45 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55 View Post
sounds like an excellent idea. i like where you're going with this. i might have to try it out myself. where did you find the scabbard at?
I've seen them at a few online retailers, however a local gun store had a few in stock, for $22 bucks at that, cheapest ones I've seen online were like 25+?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireguy View Post
I think you have a good idea. A friend got a shotgun scabbard a while back and we found out that you can't get the shotgun in it with a side saddle attached. Also, if you have an optic or flashlight it probably wouldn't work then, either. Good thinking on having a bore snake with it. Maybe a small container of CLP along with the oil, too.
Yeah, no flashlight would fit. The only optic it would ever have would be a mini-reflex sight, something like a burris fastfire or the like.

I'll keep y'all posted on the progress.

Old 10-12-2011, 06:57 PM   #6

Just a Tip for you. That bandolier sling, when loaded is very heavy and bulky, and is in no way comfortable on your shoulder. If you are concerned about weight and comfort I would not get this sling.

If you outlaw guns then only outlaws have guns.

Old 10-13-2011, 09:22 PM   #7

I thought about the issue of the comfort on the sling....this can be mitigated by putting the shell side down, so it doesn't cross yer shoulder.

Old 10-19-2011, 05:38 PM   #8

Alrighty....

Took all this crap:

and put together a neat lil kit.

Obviously i havent practiced with it in any fast fire or action shooting, but thats not really the point of this setup. The whole idea is to have something i can simply grab as I run out the door (or in addition to any other supplies i may have) that is all in 1 package, I wont have to remember to put a bag on my belt or to grab a box of buck shot and a box of slugs and put them in my pockets or anything like that. Also, it could be tossed to an unarmed friend and make them somewhat more useful.

If i need a shotgun and ammo, i can just use 1 hand, and pick up a complete package, like so.

Also, note that i put the sling on with the shells down, this puts it on my side which is way more comfortable. This would be the same way to install the sling on a shotgun, plus that would keep the swinging weight at the butt stock, not the barrel, lessening the issue of controlling the sling.

So, there you have it. If i need it, I can grab my shotgun, some minor tools, 28 rounds of 00 buck, and 5 slugs, plus whatever is in the gun.

The slugs are located at the bottom, below the blue shells, that way there are easy to access and distinguishable by location.

Old 10-19-2011, 05:42 PM   #9

Liked 39 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 37

excellent idea sir!

i'll be doing the same with my scabbard now.

Remington 700P (suppressed) - .308
Norinco SKS - 7.62x39
Mossberg 500 - 12 ga.
Savage FV64 - .22
Marlin Model 60 - .22 PARTS FOR SALE
EAA Witness P - 9mm
AR15 - 5.56/.223
AR15 SPR - 5.56/.223

Old 10-22-2011, 02:29 AM   #10

Did you even fit the TV remote in there somewhere? That's impressive!