Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Shotgun Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f26/)
-   -   Is this shotgun safe/savageable? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f26/shotgun-safe-savageable-89684/)

dr_psych 04-27-2013 10:57 PM

Is this shotgun safe/savageable?

4 Attachment(s)
I have owned this Remington 870 express for 20 years. I used to hunt 20 years ago. The gun has mostly sat in a soft case in a closet for this whole time. I've toted it with me when I moved and kept it as a home defense weapon. However...I just took it out today and notice the light surface rust you see. Is this fixable? Is the gun safe? I figured I would ask before taking steel wool to it. Thanks

MTHunter 04-27-2013 11:07 PM

Should be fine just stack a slightly oiled cloth or 1 of the silicone gun rags and wipe the rust off.

robocop10mm 04-27-2013 11:08 PM

OOOO steel wool soaked in very light oil or solvent. Very salvageable

dr_psych 04-27-2013 11:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MTHunter
Should be fine just stack a slightly oiled cloth or 1 of the silicone gun rags and wipe the rust off.

Thanks. I've been very removed from the gun world. I don't even know what a silicone gun rag is. I'm just getting back into it.

I just picked up some rem oil the other day. Is that the correct oil?

vincent 04-27-2013 11:25 PM

I've used the method Robo mentioned. Works like a dream.

Not sure the silicone rag will do the job, you may need something a bit more aggressive.

I'd recommend Hoppe's #9 for the oil as it's made to fight corrosion.

You may or may not be able to get all the pitting off but it'll give it a good shine.

Good luck, post some after pics for us if you don't mind...:cool:

vincent 04-27-2013 11:33 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Before and after using that method...

dr_psych 04-27-2013 11:50 PM

Sweet. I like the before and after shots. Looks a little like mine. I will try to get that Hopes you mentioned.

eatmydust 04-28-2013 12:01 AM

If you want a show piece go get you a new one! If you want a servicable shotgun, ya got it! I use a brass brush on my spots of corrosion with a dab of Ballistol, then wipe it down with a dry cotton rag.

hiwall 04-28-2013 12:13 AM

The Remoil you have is just fine to use with some 0000 steel wool. When you are done with any gun just wipe all metal parts of the gun with a rag dampened with oil(again the Remoil will work for this too).

MTHunter 04-28-2013 01:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dr_psych (Post 1229304)
Thanks. I've been very removed from the gun world. I don't even know what a silicone gun rag is. I'm just getting back into it.

I just picked up some rem oil the other day. Is that the correct oil?

Several companies make rags that come soaked in silicone. I always make sure to keep a good stock of them at home. Great for wiping down polymer and wood stocks. great for cleaning chamber because it provides a layer of silicone that helps keep carbon from sticking to the gun. Greatly reduces the time it takes to thoroughly clean a gun.