Shotgun price? - Page 5
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > Shotgun price?

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-30-2013, 04:51 PM   #41
Not Unsafe Act Compliant!
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
kfox75's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Wrong side of the tracks, Erie PA,
Posts: 3,168
Liked 2102 Times on 1291 Posts
Likes Given: 11849

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by VazDaGoon View Post
I just did research on the Maverick and I must say I'm diggin it. Not much of a difference than the 500 except the safety and the fact Mexicans make some of the parts. Correct me if I'm wrong?
Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55 View Post
pretty much so. not for sure where they are made, but mine says Maverick made by Mossberg and has Eagle Pass Texas on the barrel.

all in all, not a bad shotgun for the price. like i said the one i have is my second one and i wouldn't hesitate in buying another one.

the barrels and chokes for the M500 will fit them. also the buttstocks will interchange. the fore ends will with some minor modifications.
I'm with Axxe on this one. The maverick 88 or 99 shotgun is well made, and very reliable. I bought my 88 back in 1991 from the LGS down the street. ( Okay, mom and dad bought it, I was only 17, I save and paid, they picked it up.) Fast forward 20 years, I still had it, and it worked like it was brand new. Over that time, the shotgun was used to hunt small and big game, shoot trap and skeet, and survived several "let's go out and shoot something" range trips. I would estimate that I had somewhere between 3,500 and 5,000 rounds through it during that time. Regular cleaning and maintenence, and she thrived in my care.

I did get rid of mher in 2011. Had nothing to do with the gun, it was me. Lost the sight in my right eye, so I had to start shooting left handed. Trigger sits too far forward for me to shoot it comfortablely, and the grip size won't allow my small hand to sit right. I tryed out a friend's 870, and it fit like a glove, so that is what I now use.

I sent my 88 to a good home. A friend that was having a hard time making ends meet was trying to figure out how to get a shotgun for his son so they could hunt together. I gave it to him so they could go afield together. Ryan, His son, got his first buck on opening day with that old 88 this last season. Makes me happy to see that old shotgun feeding another family, and getting the next generation out in the woods.

VDG, Get the Maverick. Costs less, but the quality is the same. Take care of it, and it will serve you for a lifetime.
__________________
Is it better to do the right thing for the wrong reason, or to do the wrong thing for the right reason? If you do the wrong thing for the right reason, is it still the wrong thing?

Si vis pacem para bellum.

There are two ways of doing something. Right and again.

If you can't be good, be great at it.
kfox75 is offline  
2
People Like This 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 05:08 PM   #42
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
VazDaGoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 122
Liked 22 Times on 17 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfox75

I'm with Axxe on this one. The maverick 88 or 99 shotgun is well made, and very reliable. I bought my 88 back in 1991 from the LGS down the street. ( Okay, mom and dad bought it, I was only 17, I save and paid, they picked it up.) Fast forward 20 years, I still had it, and it worked like it was brand new. Over that time, the shotgun was used to hunt small and big game, shoot trap and skeet, and survived several "let's go out and shoot something" range trips. I would estimate that I had somewhere between 3,500 and 5,000 rounds through it during that time. Regular cleaning and maintenence, and she thrived in my care.

I did get rid of mher in 2011. Had nothing to do with the gun, it was me. Lost the sight in my right eye, so I had to start shooting left handed. Trigger sits too far forward for me to shoot it comfortablely, and the grip size won't allow my small hand to sit right. I tryed out a friend's 870, and it fit like a glove, so that is what I now use.

I sent my 88 to a good home. A friend that was having a hard time making ends meet was trying to figure out how to get a shotgun for his son so they could hunt together. I gave it to him so they could go afield together. Ryan, His son, got his first buck on opening day with that old 88 this last season. Makes me happy to see that old shotgun feeding another family, and getting the next generation out in the woods.

VDG, Get the Maverick. Costs less, but the quality is the same. Take care of it, and it will serve you for a lifetime.
Thanks for the advice, Im def getting an 88. Thanks for all the comments. As usual, you guys were really helpful. I actually found one at a Walmart about an hour away for 200 bucks. 12 gauge with barrel that is 20 something inches. I'm probably going to go tomorrow.
VazDaGoon is offline  
2
People Like This 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 05:15 PM   #43
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
longunner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,174
Liked 188 Times on 149 Posts
Likes Given: 108

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by VazDaGoon

Thanks for the advice, Im def getting an 88. Thanks for all the comments. As usual, you guys were really helpful. I actually found one at a Walmart about an hour away for 200 bucks. 12 gauge with barrel that is 20 something inches. I'm probably going to go tomorrow.
Good choice man I was going to recommend it as well but I see that axxe beat me to this one
__________________
Marlin Model 60
Mossberg Maverick 88-12 GA
Mosin Nagant 91/30
Stag Model 2
Savage Model 11
Saiga 7.62x39
Mossberg MVP Varmint
Chinese T53 Mosin Nagant X2
53 Springfield M1 Garand
longunner is offline  
axxe55 Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 05:45 PM   #44
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Reno,Texas
Posts: 10,211
Liked 6577 Times on 3639 Posts
Likes Given: 27929

Default

Another one you might look into getting is a New Haven 600AT. These were also made by Mossberg. IIRC, they stopped making them in the early 90s. It is nothing more than a Mossberg 500 with a different name on it. I found one with a bit of wear on it at a pawn shop for about $170 including tax. I had to fix a few things on it, but the only fix that actually cost money was the extractor ($17 fix including shipping). The rest was just tightening screws, cleaning, and fixing some wobble in the forearm. If you find one, you may not have to do anything to it.
texaswoodworker is offline  
2
People Like This 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 06:22 PM   #45
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Anna_Purna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 7,236
Liked 6752 Times on 3670 Posts
Likes Given: 5796

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by longunner View Post
Good choice man I was going to recommend it as well but I see that axxe beat me to this one
refer to post #11
Anna_Purna is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 07:54 PM   #46
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
VazDaGoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 122
Liked 22 Times on 17 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anna_Purna

refer to post #11
Ok guys, quick question! 12 or 20 gauge? I wanna turkey hunt with it as well as HD??
VazDaGoon is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 09:48 PM   #47
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 229
Liked 47 Times on 37 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by VazDaGoon

Ok guys, quick question! 12 or 20 gauge? I wanna turkey hunt with it as well as HD??
12 with 3" chamber. Get a full choke for turkey.
rifleman77 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 10:25 PM   #48
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 0
Liked 22220 Times on 12454 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by VazDaGoon View Post
Ok guys, quick question! 12 or 20 gauge? I wanna turkey hunt with it as well as HD??
yes i too would suggest going with a 12 ga. for turkey rather than the 20 ga.

the one with the 20" barrel is like the first one i bought several years ago. it's more suited for HD usage rather than hunting. get the one with the 28" barrel is you plan on hunting.
Axxe55 is offline  
wizard63 Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 10:27 PM   #49
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Anna_Purna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 7,236
Liked 6752 Times on 3670 Posts
Likes Given: 5796

Default

what the 12 gauge does is give you more bb's to hit something with. Both gauges will kill a turkey, the 12 will help in bad aimed shots. The 12 kicks more. are you adult or my ageish?
Anna_Purna is offline  
wizard63 Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 01:10 AM   #50
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
VazDaGoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 122
Liked 22 Times on 17 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55

yes i too would suggest going with a 12 ga. for turkey rather than the 20 ga.

the one with the 20" barrel is like the first one i bought several years ago. it's more suited for HD usage rather than hunting. get the one with the 28" barrel is you plan on hunting.
The one I plan on getting in Walmart has a 28 inch barrel. I just hope it's still there tomorrow when I go to get it. I wasn't sure because they have both the 12 and 20.
VazDaGoon is offline  
axxe55 Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
Shotgun Scabbards or shotgun rigs or.... Dr. Marneaus General Shotgun Discussion 13 01-03-2013 09:05 PM
price? gunguy1997 1911 Forum 6 03-24-2012 04:14 AM
Price Check Remington 11 - 87 Semi Auto 12 Gauge Shotgun tanksboard General Shotgun Discussion 0 06-11-2011 10:49 PM
Help getting a good price on a new (or used) shotgun tw1012 General Shotgun Discussion 2 02-04-2011 12:19 PM
How to turn Security Shotgun into Upland Bird Hunter's Shotgun? sausn2002 General Shotgun Discussion 8 09-23-2009 09:02 PM